Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Storm never really got to me. Seemed to stay about 5 miles away but was cool to watch out my window as I overlook the valley.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Another pretty solid day, lots of sunshine with some cumulus floating around, little or no wind with temperatures into the low twenties.

A few scattered showers over eastern parts of East Anglia but not much else with the most potent conditions over France and Belgium today with the assoicated trough.

Edited by Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Had lot's of light showers this morning, now dry and sunny. Still cumulus about that may drop a few spit spots if unlucky though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Not a bad day so far in my neck of the woods. Hazy sunshine to start quickly lifted temps, but that resulted in cumulus rapidly building. But the increasingly milky sky from the advancing front seems to be starving the cumulus now, so they're slowly fading away. But still very bright and 19.1C. Mind you, the SSE wind ahead of the front is getting quite gusty now - just had a 19 mph gust.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
On 9/2/2017 at 10:24, Lauren said:

Storm never really got to me. Seemed to stay about 5 miles away but was cool to watch out my window as I overlook the valley.

I overlook an alley, not the same stunning view you have, I bet.:cray:

Posted

That time of year when I always find myself checking Netweather radar looking for why it's going dark in...then realise it's going dark because it's nearly night.

Yesterday, West Wittering beach in Sussex was glorious, the sand under your feet was hot and shorts on, this afternoon, High Wycombe just cool and showery and hoodie weather -  weekend of two halves but that's what I love about autumn.

A way of yet - next next weekend looks wild.

Posted

Dull and gloomy here this morning, drizzle ranging from light to heavy for the last couple of hours, strangely not showing up on radar, think the cloud is set in for the day.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

Dull and gloomy here this morning, drizzle ranging from light to heavy for the last couple of hours, strangely not showing up on radar, think the cloud is set in for the day.

Same here, the drizzle is more like a wet mist most of the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Afternoon,

the worse thing about today is the very humid feel outside, you feel like your in a sauna.

Bring on the fresher weather.

Posted
1 hour ago, seaside 60 said:

Afternoon,

the worse thing about today is the very humid feel outside, you feel like your in a sauna.

Bring on the fresher weather.

Can't feel that here, still windy and quite chilly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Crap today here but at least it's feeling quite warm, unlike the vile chill yesterday. Not ready for months of gloom and damp but best get used to it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Good afternoon everyone.

After a dull and drizzly morning we enjoyed a few bright intervals a few minutes ago, but the cloud has closed in again now although it is all rather humid and sticky.

Looking on the bright side we are now due for unprecedented heat. Please refer to the link below from the website of our local newspaper which belongs to the Daily Mail stable of publications.

http://www.essexlive.news/sweltering-three-month-indian-summer-is-heading-for-essex-making-autumn-hotter-than-summer/story-30503038-detail/story.html

Need I say more?

Kind Regards

Dave

Edited by claret047

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I cannot believe I'm wearing a full blown coat in early September. Vile.

Posted

Not looking forward to next week. On a boat on the broads and the weather looks shocking. Last few septs have been lovely but minute we book a hol it turns sour. Is it really going to be that bad just hope rain is in the night but looks breezy throughout. :( 

Posted
1 hour ago, snowwonder said:

Not looking forward to next week. On a boat on the broads and the weather looks shocking. Last few septs have been lovely but minute we book a hol it turns sour. Is it really going to be that bad just hope rain is in the night but looks breezy throughout. :( 

Yea i'm the same, got a week off work next week and would rather things were looking better.  Not going away but if its raining then i'm stuck inside and got no excuse not to do the decorating that my wife is nagging me to do :closedeyes:

Edited by Sardonixs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Day 2 of dull, dreary weather with outbreaks of light drizzle this morning. I’m looking forward to some sunshine arriving with the fresher weather tomorrow.

As the Met Office stats are now available I thought I’d take a quick look back at summer 2017 for our Region. I think overall a mixed bag of weather, but with June the outstanding month with temperatures above the long-term average (and giving us our hottest day of the summer) and July the wettest month. August seemed to end up as rather average overall with regard both temperatures and rainfall. (Although I did notice that the extreme eastern coastal fringe of the Region managed to squeeze out above average temps for all 3 months of summer).

For those of us who like them, there were some notable storms spread throughout the summer months - unfortunately these did result in some damage.

The charts:

June, July, August rainfall anomaly against the 1981-2010 long-term average:

59aed64ad81ae_MOJune2017_6_Rainfall_Anomaly_1981-2010.thumb.gif.4700260dc47e557972cbc089266264a8.gif59aed65aea323_MOJuly2017_7_Rainfall_Anomaly_1981-2010.thumb.gif.66d8ccc44c7a06e51c061eb36568ebed.gif59aed66859839_MOAug2017_8_Rainfall_Anomaly_1981-2010.thumb.gif.3c1b252185379420d53fb95a60502ece.gif

June, July, August mean max temperature anomaly against the 1981-2010 long-term average:

59aed6734f8c3_MOJune2017_6_MaxTemp_Anomaly_1981-2010.thumb.gif.4da56a5d4f8cb8461788d1237b46f25a.gif59aed67f44b74_MOJuly2017_7_MaxTemp_Anomaly_1981-2010.thumb.gif.ffced3e0afe3dba3502a48dc9c263442.gif59aed68bf12c5_MOAug2017_8_MaxTemp_Anomaly_1981-2010.thumb.gif.68193d87f7991a9ac84e04ac7ebf4830.gif

And a few of the Regional extremes: 

June:
2nd – widespread thundery downpours during the afternoon and evening caused localised flooding.
21st - a maximum temperature of 34.5 °C was recorded at Heathrow. 
22nd - roofs damaged by lightning in Kent, North London and Leicestershire and power cuts reported across Kent.
27th - lightning strikes and some flooding caused rail disruption between East Anglia, Essex and London.

July: 
6th - a maximum temperature of 32.2 °C was recorded at Heathrow (Greater London). Localised flooding and lightning strikes occurred across East Anglia.
18th - thundery showers pushed north causing some flooding.
28th - a wind gust of 62 knots (71 mph) was recorded at Needles (Isle of Wight).

August:
29th - a maximum temperature of 29.3 °C was recorded at Frittenden (Kent).
18th - a wind gust of 57 knots (66 mph) was recorded at Needles (Isle of Wight).

Source: The Met Office. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/2017

Edited by Blessed Weather
  • Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Day 2 of dull, dreary weather with outbreaks of light drizzle this morning. I’m looking forward to some sunshine arriving with the fresher weather tomorrow.

As the Met Office stats are now available I thought I’d take a quick look back at summer 2017 for our Region. I think overall a mixed bag of weather, but with June the outstanding month with temperatures above the long-term average (and giving us our hottest day of the summer) and July the wettest month. August seemed to end up as rather average overall with regard both temperatures and rainfall. (Although I did notice that the extreme eastern coastal fringe of the Region managed to squeeze out above average temps for all 3 months of summer).

For those of us who like them, there were some notable storms spread throughout the summer months - unfortunately these did result in some damage.

The charts:

June, July, August rainfall anomaly against the 1981-2010 long-term average:

59aed64ad81ae_MOJune2017_6_Rainfall_Anomaly_1981-2010.thumb.gif.4700260dc47e557972cbc089266264a8.gif59aed65aea323_MOJuly2017_7_Rainfall_Anomaly_1981-2010.thumb.gif.66d8ccc44c7a06e51c061eb36568ebed.gif59aed66859839_MOAug2017_8_Rainfall_Anomaly_1981-2010.thumb.gif.3c1b252185379420d53fb95a60502ece.gif

June, July, August mean max temperature anomaly against the 1981-2010 long-term average:

59aed6734f8c3_MOJune2017_6_MaxTemp_Anomaly_1981-2010.thumb.gif.4da56a5d4f8cb8461788d1237b46f25a.gif59aed67f44b74_MOJuly2017_7_MaxTemp_Anomaly_1981-2010.thumb.gif.ffced3e0afe3dba3502a48dc9c263442.gif59aed68bf12c5_MOAug2017_8_MaxTemp_Anomaly_1981-2010.thumb.gif.68193d87f7991a9ac84e04ac7ebf4830.gif

And a few of the Regional extremes: 

June:
2nd – widespread thundery downpours during the afternoon and evening caused localised flooding.
21st - a maximum temperature of 34.5 °C was recorded at Heathrow. 
22nd - roofs damaged by lightning in Kent, North London and Leicestershire and power cuts reported across Kent.
27th - lightning strikes and some flooding caused rail disruption between East Anglia, Essex and London.

July: 
6th - a maximum temperature of 32.2 °C was recorded at Heathrow (Greater London). Localised flooding and lightning strikes occurred across East Anglia.
18th - thundery showers pushed north causing some flooding.
28th - a wind gust of 62 knots (71 mph) was recorded at Needles (Isle of Wight).

August:
29th - a maximum temperature of 29.3 °C was recorded at Frittenden (Kent).
18th - a wind gust of 57 knots (66 mph) was recorded at Needles (Isle of Wight).

Source: The Met Office. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/2017

summer really hasn't been as bad as some have made it out to be around here.. We had plenty of warm weather in the second half, nothing much rain-wise except short downpours and the occasional several hour drizzle. Nothing too special this summer, but I'm happy with it!

• Like 3