Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

It's been a while since I've seen such a change in the weather in a 24 hour period. The contrast between today and yesterday here in Hastings/St Leonards-on-Sea is quite something.

Yesterdays Tmax of 26.4c was accompanied by almost 8.5 hours of sunshine. It was the warmest day this month, and the warmest day since July 18th which recorded 26.7c.

Todays Tmax of 17.8c was recorded between 00:00-01:00 hours. The Tmax since sunrise is a paltry 13.5c recorded between 13:00-14:00 hours, making it the coldest daytime max since May 9th ( 12.9c ).

As if that's not bad enough, it started raining around 9am here and has continued non-stop since. Thank goodness this muck arrived after the Bank Holiday.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Don't put the umbrella away just yet Surrey! The rain band has been pepping up over the last two hours and it looks like a narrow band of heavier rain yet to come through your location?

11.30 59a6b30dc558a_RadarWed30Aug11_30.thumb.jpg.71dfdff3547b6ff5690f8f212ae69cf2.jpg 13.30 59a6b321c518c_RadarWed30Aug13_30.thumb.jpg.7a571c1be13c49b9f51d57985a1dfaf8.jpg

Did eventually get rain, interesting, surey hills got more rain than I did back at home in north Surrey it was still dry under my big trees at the back of the garden 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 hours ago, Snoopie42 said:

Hi @Team SquirrelSquirrel. The Acorns haven't gone unnoticed here also. I live on the outskirts of Burnham Beeches, have done for the past 14 years and i don't think i have never seen so many acorns and certainly not dropping so early in the Autumn.....hang on its still Summer!  Leaves are also starting to go brown and fall. Also the other thing that has struck me is the abundance of all types of Fungi (even a pitch black one), i don't ever remember seeing so much and so many different types, and once again this early, they don't usually appear until well into autumn, when things get really damp. Believe me i'm not a keen Funghi photographer, but because of the spectical, that i haven't experienced, i couldn't help it!! I love Autumn! Have a nice afternoon!

20170824_141730.jpg

20170824_141735.jpg

20170824_141742.jpg

20170824_142003.jpg

20170824_142347.jpg

20170824_143036.jpg

20170824_143119.jpg

20170824_143126.jpg

Nice pics of fungi :)

There are loads of mushrooms around now. It's mainly down to how wet this summer has been, fungi like damp but also warmth and humidity which we had a few days of recently. My Mum comes from the Czech Republic and foraging for edible mushrooms there is a huge national pastime, one which she brought here and my brother and I enjoyed immensely as children. I'll be heading into Great Windsor Park next week to hopefully find some porcini and chanterelle mushrooms for her dinner lol. Burnham Beeches should have lots too?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

You'd be forgiven for thinking that when you fell asleep last night, you slept for 3 months and woke up i November. The change in weather in 24 hours has been quite incredible.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
6 minutes ago, Lauren said:

You'd be forgiven for thinking that when you fell asleep last night, you slept for 3 months and woke up i November. The change in weather in 24 hours has been quite incredible.

I was just thinking that myself. It even smells like Autumn outside if you know what I mean! I love it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

I was just thinking that myself. It even smells like Autumn outside if you know what I mean! I love it.

I don't.  At 8pm last night I was sitting outside in my garden sipping a cold beer and savouring every minute of the fact I could do that with the temperature still at 23c.

24 hours later I'm huddled under a canopy wearing a fleece and it's been raining non-stop for 11 hours here ( and still is ) and it's currently 11c. Where's the fun in that ? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well today was pretty bad, grey and pretty damp all day with a chilly breeze. This weather can wait a month or so before it comes back again.

Next few days look pretty decent bar a couple of showers. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
4 hours ago, Surrey said:

Not impossible, I remember about 3 years ago halloween was 25c

Yes your right - that was 2015 and last year was still very mild, around 20c I think.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 hour ago, SenlacJack said:

I don't.  At 8pm last night I was sitting outside in my garden sipping a cold beer and savouring every minute of the fact I could do that with the temperature still at 23c.

24 hours later I'm huddled under a canopy wearing a fleece and it's been raining non-stop for 11 hours here ( and still is ) and it's currently 11c. Where's the fun in that ? 

We got quite lucky with the rain I guess, had a cracking sunset too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Beautiful start here, but quite a chilly end-of-night with the temp down to 6.4C at 06.00.

The lady on the Look East forecast has just said it will be "happy weather" today!! Well if we get a morning of lovely sunshine and then a torrential shower later in the afternoon with some great skyscapes that'll make me happy! :-)

P.S. Some wrong with the Netweather site this morning - no emoticons and it won't upload files :-(

Edit: It was site maintenance - site now working! :)

Edited by Blessed Weather
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

The air has certainly got that autumnal feel to it 

Posted

Admittedly we sleep with the window open....but I was pretty shocked to hear the heating ping on at 6am this morning! Must have been below 16.c inside the the room below the window.:shok:

Then the room is filled with that smell of burning dust!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Dami's moan for today.

Why can't people give a time for when they will arrive? 

So far to day ( all said 'morning arrival)

Skip Man to replace our skip 7:50 am I had barely finished my coffee.

Blinds man to fix cock up by JL. 8:50am. barely out of the shower.

Still waiting for. :-

Garage door man to fix his cock up.

Gardener to do garden stuffs.

Amazon.

The only Man who has a time is the man from DPD delivering my new jumpers cos:cold::cold: 

But OMG. It was Autumn when I woke up.  Had spring, summer in the last few days, so maybe snow this week end?:cold: 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
30 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Beautiful start here, but quite a chilly end-of-night with the temp down to 6.4C at 06.00.

The lady on the Look East forecast has just said it will be "happy weather" today!! Well if we get a morning of lovely sunshine and then a torrential shower later in the afternoon with some great skyscapes that'll make me happy! :-)

P.S. Some wrong with the Netweather site this morning - no emoticons and it won't upload files :-(

Edit: It was site maintenance - site now working! :)

Same here, Malcolm: 13C and wall-to-wall sunshine. All round better-feeling now that Tuesday's horrible humidity has been well and truly blown away!:D

• Like 1

Posted

Still wall-to-wall sunshine and temp up to 17C...What a lovely day today looks like being.:yahoo:

Posted

20 minutes after I mused to husband 'I wonder if we're going to get some thunder', a big crack of thunder came out of the grey convective towers that have been around us most of the day, followed by some torrential rain. My normal excitement is tempered by the fact we are catching a flight to Cyprus later and I am hoping Heathrow isn't affected; it's a night flight as it is - I can never sleep on those so delays just prolong the agony!

• Like 1

Posted

Hi Folks

Well first time back on here for quite a while, spent most of the summer looking for work then getting sorted out in my new job.

So yesterday I was enjoying a quick chat with one of our neighbours in Southend and the sun was lovely and warm, I went inside to get my bag and jacket to walk to the railway station, and when I went outside again, less than 5 minutes, later it was thunder lightening and rain!  So summer is going out with a bit of a bang.

Looking forward to a lovely Autumn (what we will actually get is anyones guess) and of course winter.

Cheers

FC

Edited by frozencanals
grammer
  • Like 4

Posted

Morning peeps. Some good looking Cbs out in the North Sea, but nothing inland; so I'm guessing that SSTs, in the Southern North Sea, are higher than usual...? Good potential for the first Autumn northerly, perhaps?:D

• Like 2

Posted

Yes some lovely clouds out over the sea as I walked dogs on beach this morning, looking at the radar they are staying out there too! No rain yesterday, came close as normal. Blue sky morning, maybe something will drift this way later, but not holding out much hope.

• Like 1

Summer is still holding on.. Thunderstorms and glorious very warm sunshine...

Wonder how long summer will keep its grip before we let our next season start, probably my most favorite season as the trees loose this year's leaves and the breath taking colours kick in. 

Summer out of 10 for my part of the world would be 8/10. One of the best I have experienced anyway including storms. Especially nearly being hit by lightning lol! 

What will autumn hold in store? Well Im going for some late warmth and dry. But possibility of seeing our first storm towards the end perhaps further north to start with.