Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Don't put the umbrella away just yet Surrey! The rain band has been pepping up over the last two hours and it looks like a narrow band of heavier rain yet to come through your location?

11.30 59a6b30dc558a_RadarWed30Aug11_30.thumb.jpg.71dfdff3547b6ff5690f8f212ae69cf2.jpg 13.30 59a6b321c518c_RadarWed30Aug13_30.thumb.jpg.7a571c1be13c49b9f51d57985a1dfaf8.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
2 hours ago, Team Squirrel said:

So thankful for a sunny weekend - managed to build most of the polytunnel. Strange observation I know...but there's an oak tree on our allotments and the acorns this year are ridiculously big, they are not even fitting in their little cups and there's so many of them. I don't know if it's a mast year but it's caught the attention of other people too!

As it's my first growing season, all eyes on first frost as that's when parsnips etc can be eaten. wonder when the first frost will be (January knowing my luck!!)

Sadly, all my pumpkins never stood a chance, back in May I planted them out just before a two day deluge and virtually all the stems split. The two that survived were weak plants that got finished off by powdery mildrew. So no Halloween pumpkins for me!

I have always watched the weather closely - but now your hard work depends on it!

Recently, I was reminded  of when it snowed in October here in High Wycombe in 2008,  massive snowflakes that took everyone by surprise and trapped people in shops. I can't remember if that was a localised thing or did it snow throughout the region?

Meteorological autumn in a few days - yesss!!!! 

Hi @Team SquirrelSquirrel. The Acorns haven't gone unnoticed here also. I live on the outskirts of Burnham Beeches, have done for the past 14 years and i don't think i have never seen so many acorns and certainly not dropping so early in the Autumn.....hang on its still Summer!  Leaves are also starting to go brown and fall. Also the other thing that has struck me is the abundance of all types of Fungi (even a pitch black one), i don't ever remember seeing so much and so many different types, and once again this early, they don't usually appear until well into autumn, when things get really damp. Believe me i'm not a keen Funghi photographer, but because of the spectical, that i haven't experienced, i couldn't help it!! I love Autumn! Have a nice afternoon!

20170824_141730.jpg

20170824_141735.jpg

20170824_141742.jpg

20170824_142003.jpg

20170824_142347.jpg

20170824_143036.jpg

20170824_143119.jpg

20170824_143126.jpg

Edited by Snoopie42
  • Like 5

Posted
37 minutes ago, Surrey said:

And that was it for the rain, barley a dribble here and it's stopped looks to be moving east. Cloud clearing behind the front but don't think we will see the sun today.

Then it's back to normal business, sunshine and a few showers.. It's not even that cold!! 

We've had radar echoes over us all morning but have stayed completely dry - odd. Wind feels cold though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Horrible day here with a cold maximum temperature of 14C. Yuck.

Posted

Afternoon all :)

Well, certainly a significant change from yesterday here in lowland East London. Light rain around dawn but more significant falls during the late morning and continuing now. Certainly not the torrential stuff of four weeks ago but plenty still to come from the south west as the front makes painfully slow progress east.

The main rain band is quite narrow at present (the clearance has passed through Reading) but there's heavier rain developing along the front and that's passing through Littlehampton now with another heavier area just to the east of Cherbourg. I do wonder if this front will slip back west a fraction before it finally clears as mini-occlusions develop along its length.

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Snoopie42 said:

Hi @Team SquirrelSquirrel. The Acorns haven't gone unnoticed here also. I live on the outskirts of Burnham Beeches, have done for the past 14 years and i don't think i have never seen so many acorns and certainly not dropping so early in the Autumn.....hang on its still Summer!  Leaves are also starting to go brown and fall. Also the other thing that has struck me is the abundance of all types of Fungi (even a pitch black one), i don't ever remember seeing so much and so many different types, and once again this early, they don't usually appear until well into autumn, when things get really damp. Believe me i'm not a keen Funghi photographer, but because of the spectical, that i haven't experienced, i couldn't help it!! I love Autumn! Have a nice afternoon!

20170824_141730.jpg

20170824_141735.jpg

20170824_141742.jpg

20170824_142003.jpg

20170824_142347.jpg

20170824_143036.jpg

20170824_143119.jpg

20170824_143126.jpg

Wow...I'm sure that's pretty early for fungi, agreed. I used to live about a mile from or so from Littleworth Common and used to go to the Beeches often and like you say, I'm sure half term was around the time for toadstool hunting in the Beeches, interesting that it's not just the oak near me. I read something ages ago about solar activity and oak trees but stupidly I didn't bookmark it and now can't find it. It doesn't feel like a normal later summer/autumn to me, as I said in an earlier post the squirrels are carrying on like it's late September!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

13C at shoreham beach! 

Welcome, Autumn! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Yes certainly completely different from yesterday, in fact not the first time we've had rain come up from the SSW from France, 2 other occurrences have been accompanied by some thundery stuff followed by briefly colder North westerlies and largely just effecting the south east/east.

The headline on the home page says 'bye bye summer and a mention of frost' but I bet in a week or so we'll see the return or warm/very warm stuff - seems very difficult to get through a calendar month without seeing a very warm/mild spell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
6 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Yes certainly completely different from yesterday, in fact not the first time we've had rain come up from the SSW from France, 2 other occurrences have been accompanied by some thundery stuff followed by briefly colder North westerlies and largely just effecting the south east/east.

The headline on the home page says 'bye bye summer and a mention of frost' but I bet in a week or so we'll see the return or warm/very warm stuff - seems very difficult to get through a calendar month without seeing a very warm/mild spell.

Probably get 28c in October

I saw someone in a coat and scarf earlier omg.. I get it maybe if you are 70+ but not a 35-40 year old woman. To top it off the ugg boots were on too. 

It must be me working outdoors boosts your immunity to cold, wet and my immune system. I was working in the Surrey Hills today, outside, t-shirt and shorts taking in the stunning views.. 

I really don't miss sitting in a stale, boiling hot office. The same place each day and everyday. The thought just makes me feel sick. 

I managed to pull up 2 blue spruce trees today to add to my growing collection ready for when mum and I purchase a small bit of land to start our forest. 

Got all kinds of specimens now, the one I really want is a giant red wood and Indian bean tree. 

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Not impossible, I remember about 3 years ago halloween was 25c

Hit a 30c on the 3rd of October a few years back

25 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Hit a 30c on the 3rd of October a few years back

Was it you lassie that I was talking about clearing fronts? Check this picture out its pretty crap because of the direction I could get a better one out of my sisters bedroom but she won't let me in lol! The front is clearing away (the darker clouds) with the back end weakening (thinner lighter cloud) then right right in the back distance is blue sky! 

DSC_0494.thumb.JPG.9d9359c054515c6d7836b90e5e77f550.JPG

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Surrey said:

Was it you lassie that I was talking about clearing fronts? Check this picture out its pretty crap because of the direction I could get a better one out of my sisters bedroom but she won't let me in lol! The front is clearing away (the darker clouds) with the back end weakening (thinner lighter cloud) then right right in the back distance is blue sky! 

DSC_0494.thumb.JPG.9d9359c054515c6d7836b90e5e77f550.JPG

I can make it out, your sister should let you in for two minutes lol

Posted
1 minute ago, Surrey said:

A 16 year old girl letting her older brother in her room. There is more chance of me winning the Lottery 

lol oh a teenager, say no more.

Posted
Just now, Surrey said:

Lighter cloud now made it, will some of us get to see the sun! 

DSC_0496.thumb.JPG.3a43a9cc1efdea268063ee9f7d08fa69.JPG

the sun was out here for a couple of minutes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

It is :cold:

Brought 3 Autumn jumpers. Coming tomorrow.

:cold:

Posted
2 minutes ago, Dami said:

It is :cold:

Brought 3 Autumn jumpers. Coming tomorrow.

:cold:

scarf and gloves soon too

Posted
Just now, lassie23 said:

scarf and gloves soon too

yes my black woolly ones have a hole in.:shok: 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Dami said:

yes my black woolly ones have a hole in.:shok: 

needle and thread or new ones, think smiley

Posted

Have another pair and leather ones

need grey ones smiley