Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
35 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Dry here, though whilst up in Peterborough earlier there was a rather nasty shower brewing just to the north of the city over Lincolnshire typically. Fairly warm with a high of 21C.

That storm has passed to my north (see my posts in the Storms thread).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

That storm has passed to my north (see my posts in the Storms thread).

So my hopes weren't completely unfounded, then? What a shame that the Triangle of Doom has missed-out - again!:cray:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

15mm of rain in less than 15 mins from that brute earler. Not hugely active, possible supercell - dunno, but the precip core was a thing of beauty. Very localised, flooding everywhere here but at Kimberley the roads were bone dry.

• Like 1

Posted

We had a few showers here today, one was truly biblical I thought the end was nigh. Come on summer get your act together, indications are that the SE may see something much warmer next week probably transient. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Well at least look at the plus points.

Us gardeners dont have to water every day and its nice and workable outside to do gardening and other jobs.
We have had a very dry 9 months up till now, although to be honest we have escaped the main rain down here.

Having said its not good for the kids to get and about.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, seaside 60 said:

Well at least look at the plus points.

Us gardeners dont have to water every day and its nice and workable outside to do gardening and other jobs.
We have had a very dry 9 months up till now, although to be honest we have escaped the main rain down here.

Having said its not good for the kids to get and about.

I agree with your point about watering the garden as we've had buckets of rain here over the last 2 weeks. However, it really is dire at the moment, barely any blue skies or sunshine now for those 2 weeks, often windy and feeling really quite chilly a lot of the time. Such bad timing as the main holiday weeks begin. It feels much more like October than July.

• Like 1

Posted

Bright, sunny, blue skies here this morning, albeit a bit breezy. Still watering my garden, hoping we get some overnight rain tonight and tomorrow night, just for a few days off from the hose! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Got showery rain here, goes light, heavy, light, heavy, might stop for a few mins every now and then. Wind really picking up as well.

Posted

Honestly can't remember the last time I got the hosepipe out...or even the watering can. Downside of all this rain is that the powdery mildrew had attacked everything at the allotment and everyone is having the same issue. Might even lose my pumpkins. On the plus side I have a growing melon which is unaffected and a tromboncino that has already grown itself down to the ground. While the weather this summer has been good for some plants, the hot then wet is no ideal for others so I have learned. Some of my pumpkins were a write off in may when a couple of days of heavy rain in the days after I planted them out caused stems to split. And the hop plant was damaged by the heavy sunflower head bashing against it because of the strong winds recently. Bit of a mixed blessing this summer's weather.

Had such a strange dream last night....about Netweather. Basically there was a new symbol on the weather maps - a plane with the Netweather logo on the side.  When I asked the forum what it meant, the replies were simply ' very bad weather incoming - free evacuation to Cyprus for forum members' or wtte.:D. This measure had been bought in due to the winter forecast of very deep snow for the UK :shok:

Cyprus, snow, freebies...hmmm someone has been wishful thinking dreaming!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
5 hours ago, Team Squirrel said:

Honestly can't remember the last time I got the hosepipe out...or even the watering can. Downside of all this rain is that the powdery mildrew had attacked everything at the allotment and everyone is having the same issue. Might even lose my pumpkins. On the plus side I have a growing melon which is unaffected and a tromboncino that has already grown itself down to the ground. While the weather this summer has been good for some plants, the hot then wet is no ideal for others so I have learned. Some of my pumpkins were a write off in may when a couple of days of heavy rain in the days after I planted them out caused stems to split. And the hop plant was damaged by the heavy sunflower head bashing against it because of the strong winds recently. Bit of a mixed blessing this summer's weather.

Had such a strange dream last night....about Netweather. Basically there was a new symbol on the weather maps - a plane with the Netweather logo on the side.  When I asked the forum what it meant, the replies were simply ' very bad weather incoming - free evacuation to Cyprus for forum members' or wtte.:D. This measure had been bought in due to the winter forecast of very deep snow for the UK :shok:

Cyprus, snow, freebies...hmmm someone has been wishful thinking dreaming!

Interesting dream! Did you eat some cheese before bed? It's meant to make you dream but it's probably an old wives tale. 

Hope your allotment veg will be ok. I thought mildew was worse when it was dry? Might be wrong about that though! 

Another horrible day here, really need some blue skies and warm sun soon :sorry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Oh you can't beat evenings like this! Take away, warm bath, Fluffy PJ's and a good film.

Hoorah.

• Like 1

Posted

It's shockingly bad for high summer. This evening feels autumnal, breezy, low light levels and a rather cool feeling. Some sunshine would perk my mood, it is depressing, I don't know how the Icelandic people do it.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Surprisingly sunny for a couple of hours this morning resulting in the temp peaking at 21.7C by lunchtime. But a dire afternoon - gloomy and windy with a max gust of 34 mph. And patchy light rain has finally arrived this evening. I'm starting to feel sorry for the thousands of campers and caravanners currently trying to enjoy their holidays!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Question for the forecasters! We've got two boot fairs to do, Saturday and Sunday in North Kent, does anyone have an idea of whereabouts the rain band might be at that time? Clearing away or still across the south east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.
3 hours ago, Daniel* said:

It's shockingly bad for high summer. This evening feels autumnal, breezy, low light levels and a rather cool feeling. Some sunshine would perk my mood, it is depressing, I don't know how the Icelandic people do it.

Never mind this evening, it's been like that for much of the last 2 weeks here and no end in sight. It seems we really are being punished for that decent start to summer.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Neilsouth said:

Question for the forecasters! We've got two boot fairs to do, Saturday and Sunday in North Kent, does anyone have an idea of whereabouts the rain band might be at that time? Clearing away or still across the south east.

I don't know about timing, however it looks like we'll have the front going backwards and forwards over us all weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
6 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I don't know about timing, however it looks like we'll have the front going backwards and forwards over us all weekend.

:( Sucks

Today and tomorrow hold some interest... Although I miss the heat a little, it really hasnt been to bad. Okay a few cloudy days.. But warm and humid at times. Working outside its the perfect weather currently.

Thursday was a wicked day. Some very very potent showers the flash flooding ones.. At one point we had to un load the van and the wind and rain was almost like being in a hurricane! Was wicked!! Caught 3 potent showers that day and the totals looked around 30-40mm!!

Saturday:

Interesting, Models still not agreeing with each other.. In these kinds of situations I take the nearest one usually now it is the 00z and compare the nearest time to the current radar. That then gives a rough indication as to which model will perform best on the unfolding "event" 

Current radar and sat:

597c2b6be54f0_RAIN1.thumb.jpg.d36cfdb9b1518d6216c46aaf4c7a6da9.jpgsat24.thumb.png.324a52d4e597e44fd80c7f4eebc89bd7.png

Circled in blue is what will be moving our way over the course of today. Current sat suggests some very high cloud tops which would indicate some pretty beefy moisture pushing north. Bigger clouds = more rain.

Arpege overnight run, already wrong, discounted 

overview_006.jpg?2017072900

Arome.. mmmm okay, lets roll with it and see..

radarrate_007.jpg?2017072900 10am: radarrate_010.jpg?2017072900 2pm: radarrate_014.jpg?2017072900 7pm radarrate_019.jpg?2017072900

00z radarrate_024.jpg?2017072900 interesting, certainly suggesting some embedded storms.. 

EURO 4:

I love this model, probs my most favorite, its performing very well at the moment

Precipitation EURO4 Sa 29.07.2017 06 GMT 12pm: Precipitation EURO4 Sa 29.07.2017 12 GMT  3pm: Precipitation EURO4 Sa 29.07.2017 15 GMT 12am: Precipitation EURO4 Su 30.07.2017 00 GMT  

3am:  Precipitation EURO4 Su 30.07.2017 03 GMT again suggesting something a lot heavier.. 

Certainly some rain to come later today, but the focus has shifted North into the Midlands and wales... 

Tomorrow looks like a case of sunshine and showers!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Down in Essex for the next few days before heading to Paris for the week. Well at least it is sunny to start the day. 

Posted
10 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Surprisingly sunny for a couple of hours this morning resulting in the temp peaking at 21.7C by lunchtime. But a dire afternoon - gloomy and windy with a max gust of 34 mph. And patchy light rain has finally arrived this evening. I'm starting to feel sorry for the thousands of campers and caravanners currently trying to enjoy their holidays!

Our camping trip last weekend was spoilt a bit by loads of rain (10 hours of steady rain when the forecast was for 'sunshine and showers'). Going camping again next weekend, model charts looked ok for quite a few runs but suddenly have decided to throw in a new low to completely ruin things. Can only hope that signal is wrong. How I love living in the UK haha...

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Our camping trip last weekend was spoilt a bit by loads of rain (10 hours of steady rain when the forecast was for 'sunshine and showers'). Going camping again next weekend, model charts looked ok for quite a few runs but suddenly have decided to throw in a new low to completely ruin things. Can only hope that signal is wrong. How I love living in the UK haha...

I love our climate, very diverse. I knew the dry period would come to an end at some point. This has now happened over the past 1-2 weeks. However, the plants are absolutely loving it!

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Surrey said:

I love our climate, very diverse. I knew the dry period would come to an end at some point. This has now happened over the past 1-2 weeks. However, the plants are absolutely loving it!

Yes, but extremely annoying that just as holiday season arrives, so does the monsoon! I do like some rain in summer to keep things  looking fresh but not this barrage of constant gloomy, wet and cool rubbish. Better for you though working outside, the heat must have been tough?

Edited by stainesbloke

Just now, stainesbloke said:

Yes, just extremely annoying that just as holiday season arrives, so does the monsoon! I do like some rain in summer to keep things  looking fresh but not this barrage of constant gloomy, wet and cool rubbish. Better for you though working outside, the heat must have been tough?

Yeah the heat sometimes is a killer. You just have to take on lots of water and take breaks every 45 mins or so. I did 12 miles of pedestrian mowing a few weeks back in 30c heat dragging bulk bags of grass 300m but the view of box hill and the surrey hills kept me going. Oh and the odd deer saying hello behind the trees. It's not pleasant but I don't need to go to gym or take regular exercise because my job is my exercise! You have to be able to break through the barrier though.  Ive lost over 4 stonne in 1 1/2 years. Ive had to buy new t shirts because my chest has got so big. It's fantastic. Plus, im not confined inside. Connecting with the outdoors every day makes for a happier person.

I work on prestige million pound houses all the way down to average town houses. Outside in the sun when you are working in some of the grounds is breath taking. I used to work in an office, I would never go back again.

• Like 2

Posted

Another blue sky, sunny morning without that wind that really picked up yesterday afternoon, we had some overnight rain, hoping for some more tonight.