Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
22 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

Very humid here, rising rapidly in the last hour and we have swarms of flying ants, hate them, horrible things. Hopefully the predicted cool down arrives tomorrow. I assume no storms coming today?

T'is ghastly, and i mean the heat not the ants, as we haven't got any!

Funny thing last night was that there was such build-up of potential (between the sky and the ground?) that my DAB radio would only work during lightning strikes, between them there was nowt but radio silence...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 minute ago, mb018538 said:

I'd say it's almost certainly a bust now for todays forecast. Norwich hit 27c but has since decreased.....going to be a fair few degrees under what was forecast in the region. The forecast here today was 28c and sunny:

Today

Overnight showers and thunderstorms will soon clear with largely sunny skies developing. A hot and humid day follows, with light winds, perhaps leading to further isolated thunderstorms developing into the evening.

We've had no sun at all really, certainly not hot (just about scraped 24c)....but definitely humid. I'd also say it's been a lot windier than forecast. Quite odd for the forecast to be that far out on the day!

It's been fairly sunny here, and quite humid.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
13 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

It's been fairly sunny here, and quite humid.

Sure - there have been clear pockets where the sun has come out in Norfolk/Suffolk....I'm just a bit too far west and have been stuck under the grey.

This was tweeted at 11am though....where are these low 30s they speak of?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Apart from the wind, it actually rained a bit aswell, then the sun tried to break though and it felt unbearable for a minute or two before the cloud came along again. V humid. 

bring sleep.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Crap day here after all the exciting thunderstorms, getting very windy, completely overcast and the temperature has dropped to a cool 21C. 

• Like 1

Posted

I don't know about any of you but following last night I'm distraught. Initially following the radar sequence it was looking like a direct hit, been hearing the best storm of a lifetime in N/NW Kent so near but so far away. There was just as much storm fuel as further east I would have thought UHI may have helped. But as these linear line of storms rolled up from the south I wouldn't call it a MCS? They lost their oomph entirely due south, however to the east (Kent) they maintained it with great vigor happens time and time again.

image.thumb.jpeg.272066851dfeaba413b8aedf136343ad.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

It looks like the maritime air arrived much quicker than expected and as such produced this low level cloud. It still hit 25c when the sun came out but I must admit I am disappointed. It is kind of bizarre to wake up to a north easterly wind which produced no low cloud but then we get the stuff off the Atlantic despite there being over a hundred miles of land to clear before reaching here. Oh well....

• Like 3

Posted

Last night was my 2nd stormy day this summer can't complain. 

Normally get one biggie. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

A disappointing day that didn't quite live up to expectations (or forecasts). Temp peaked at 25.8C at 13.55 but fell away quickly thereafter as cloud cover thickened. And the wind really got up with a gust of 30 mph at 14.35 this afternoon.

I had arranged a get-together with a few friends at our local pub for an after-work drink today, telling everyone it would be lovely in the beer garden. But it turned out grey and uncomfortably windy, so we sat in the pub instead. Oh well.....

Bit of a cloudy mess this evening....  20.05  596fb32e3cd88_CloudWed19July20_05.thumb.jpg.1e149907320edb946509a48546be4cb4.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

Really? This is the BBC app prediction for tomorrow for my area! Nice if it happens :rofl:

IMG_0546.PNG

I don't see why not, it is sweltering over here now and seems to be hotter than it was when we had the storm this morning, and the air is really electric now.this is the hottest and most humid it has been so far.

• Like 1

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Not had a bad cay here, mostly sunny, but with quite a brisk wind. Felt quite fresh because of the wind, but can feel humidity in doors.

Edit: Wish it was dark, would be seeing flashes from France now.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and Snow, lots of snow...
7 hours ago, Delka said:

I'm very bummed this morning as well, for some reason I slept straight through whatever went overhead, which is pretty amazing as I normally wake at the slightest creak, yet apparently there was severe torrential rain for half hour which flooded locally known roads that are vulnerable. The forecast like said above is indeed way of the mark, forecast for 29c this afternoon with a feel like of 36c, but its currently 23c. I would say it feels nearer the 30c+ mark though as its extremely humid and sticky, not pleasant even with the thin cloud hanging around... maybe the thunderstorms cleared away the hotter air quicker then expected? I'm pretty sure I remember that around this time today we were forecast here in Norfolk for possible storms yet they seem to be non-existent so maybe it all cleared quicker with the overnight stuff?

I feel your pain!

After seeing a screen gab of lightning strike count over the uk overnight on here this morning it seems there was a substantual amount over my area!

So it appears i also missed it while in the land of nod!

I also checked the site metcheck to confirm and that has an animation of strikes and also a total strike rate record, and that also showed it moved over my area.

So I guessed it must have!

I just don't get it! i didn't hear a thing? i dont know what happend! I'm usually a light sleeper!

According to a few people in my area we had lightning with no thunder and then some heavy hail. 

I'm guessing lightening with no sound means it's far away and the light was out traveling the sound?

Strange and annoying and I'm pretty gutted missed it, even if it was just a silent light show. 

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Snowstalker said:

I feel your pain!

After seeing a screen gab of lightning strike count over the uk overnight on here this morning it seems there was a substantual amount over my area!

So it appears i also missed it while in the land of nod!

I also checked the site metcheck to confirm and that has an animation of strikes and also a total strike rate record, and that also showed it moved over my area.

So I guessed it must have!

I just don't get it! i didn't hear a thing? i dont know what happend! I'm usually a light sleeper!

According to a few people in my area we had lightning with no thunder and then some heavy hail. 

I'm guessing lightening with no sound means it's far away and the light was out traveling the sound?

Strange and annoying and I'm pretty gutted missed it, even if it was just a silent light show. 

It was just silent lightning here too, with a couple of short bursts of rain with no thunder. However I don't mind that it missed me, had my turn end of May, only fair that others got it this time.

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

It was just silent lightning here too, with a couple of short bursts of rain with no thunder. However I don't mind that it missed me, had my turn end of May, only fair that others got it this time.

Im glad to hear silent lightning is actually a "Thing".. I think...It kinda makes me feel a bit better for sleeping through it. Next time I'll stay up and watch the radars!

And yes i agree, the end of May storm was really epic! I'm so grateful I got to witness that in person, never seen anything like it.

We've still got plenty of summer left yet, plenty more opportunities for everyone :-)

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Snowstalker said:

Im glad to hear silent lightning is actually a "Thing".. I think...It kinda makes me feel a bit better for sleeping through it. Next time I'll stay up and watch the radars!

And yes i agree, the end of May storm was really epic! I'm so grateful I got to witness that in person, never seen anything like it.

We've still got plenty of summer left yet, plenty more opportunities for everyone :-)

Exactly, I half wish I didn't see it, every storm will seem like a let down compared.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Exactly, I half wish I didn't see it, every storm will seem like a let down compared.

It defo was the storm of my lifetime so far (36 years) doubt il get to witness many more of them! It Almost felt apocalyptic!

It's been super humid and uncomftable here all day, even with a decent coastal breeze. 

Some rain would be nice, although rain seems to be the new snow in this area currently. Never seen it so dry. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Snowstalker said:

It defo was the storm of my lifetime so far (36 years) doubt il get to witness many more of them! It Almost felt apocalyptic!

It's been super humid and uncomftable here all day, even with a decent coastal breeze. 

Some rain would be nice, although rain seems to be the new snow in this area currently. Never seen it so dry. 

May be it means we may get some actual snow this winter. 

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

May be it means we may get some actual snow this winter. 

We really need to cos my kids are not happy (or me tbh) with no snow for the last 4 winters! 

I stupidly told them last autumn "No way we will go a 4th winter without snow, thats never happened before, im sure it will snow this year".

I even went and brought a few more sledges to add to the collection!

.........And then it was spring again......

Edited by Snowstalker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Woke up to bright skies, now a cloud fest but of drizzle but the worse thing is its a humid fest.

Roll on the fresher weather later, cant come soon enough.

• Like 1

Posted

I think it rained last night.