Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
12 minutes ago, seaside 60 said:

Already 24c in Southend, anyone know when the fresher weather is coming today, as its horrible here now.

I think we've got one more day and night of the humid weather then it should start getting fresher tomorrow ....hopefully! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
17 minutes ago, Daryl Dixon said:

I think we've got one more day and night of the humid weather then it should start getting fresher tomorrow ....hopefully! 

Someone posted a chart yesterday showing 34c in EA but only 19/20c near the south coast.

Really shows humidity  here now as we lost the easterly and winds turned light SW, worse winds in the world in the summer here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

So, after last night's lilac-coloured lightning fest' it's now 22C with an 18 mph easterly breeze...Can't really see 32C being reached today...:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

My lightning was white/orange. Then turned blue. As you do.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

It seems I slept through what passed our area.  We caught the edge of the storms that initiated over north London to the SW of the MCV around 1 a.m., but on scrolling through the overnight radar, it's evident that they weakened as they approached.  Later-on, we caught the easternmost squall line that had set-up in the Channel durimng the evening, and this brought some heavy rain, and, apparently, a few louder rumbles and visible lightning, though this also failed to wake me for some reason.

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, wellington boot said:

As direct a hit for us here as you can get. Astonishing show of force... Difficult to argue that that was a once in a lifetime show, at least here at home.

As Steve Murr said, it truly felt apocalyptic for 30 mins comfortably. Constant lighting,forks crackling across the sky in every direction, constant thunder punctuated by frequent thunderbolt cracks. Direct fork hits only one or two fields from where I was standing (or hanging), torrential rain, everything you could ask for.

And then at the end, after it had all passed (just in the last 30 mins really), arguably an equally spectacular show to the north and north east, where I have a big view from a high perch. The murk cleared away from here, and we've just been watching the lightning forking and flashing constantly right from North around to East along the horizon, with occasional total light ups, where the whole sky lights up at the same time and you can see the shapes of the storm clouds and the intre-cloud forks and forks hitting the ground along the horizon.

Just amazing. Seems to me that some damage and harm must also have been done, however, sadly. Can't believe we can escape something like that without some casualties.

Just down the road from you. I can only agree with your comments.

We had an incredible spell of heavy marble (and larger) size hail that turned the whole landscape white. The result has been some significant leaf damage to trees, shrubs (and my runner beans!). I have never really seen anything quite as intensive as this ever before.

The lightning was intense and continuous and with my rain gauge showing over 30mm of precipitation this morning, most of which fell in about 30 to 40 minutes. 

MM

Edited by Mr Maunder
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I think the high temp forecasts for today are going to be quite a bit off?

Locations (North Norfolk etc) that were supposed to be 30c or higher today are really struggling at the moment. Marham is only 24c, Weybourne 22c. Thick cloud and 23c here too. Looking at the radar there seems to be a lot of cloud piling in too.

Posted
21 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

I think the high temp forecasts for today are going to be quite a bit off?

Locations (North Norfolk etc) that were supposed to be 30c or higher today are really struggling at the moment. Marham is only 24c, Weybourne 22c. Thick cloud and 23c here too. Looking at the radar there seems to be a lot of cloud piling in too.

Sunny and clear here in South Norfolk, but I can see that cloud to my north.  Generally it feels breezy and not especially humid or unpleasant.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman

Posted

off for the 'end of year' picnic at the bubs school in a mo, been cloudy, dark and windy here since the word go. Hoping what looks like drizzle on radar  isn't.

Happy no sun and it just feels mild, 30+ and sun would of been nasty to sit in an open field. 

Posted
59 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

It seems I slept through what passed our area.  We caught the edge of the storms that initiated over north London to the SW of the MCV around 1 a.m., but on scrolling through the overnight radar, it's evident that they weakened as they approached.  Later-on, we caught the easternmost squall line that had set-up in the Channel durimng the evening, and this brought some heavy rain, and, apparently, a few louder rumbles and visible lightning, though this also failed to wake me for some reason.

I'm very bummed this morning as well, for some reason I slept straight through whatever went overhead, which is pretty amazing as I normally wake at the slightest creak, yet apparently there was severe torrential rain for half hour which flooded locally known roads that are vulnerable. The forecast like said above is indeed way of the mark, forecast for 29c this afternoon with a feel like of 36c, but its currently 23c. I would say it feels nearer the 30c+ mark though as its extremely humid and sticky, not pleasant even with the thin cloud hanging around... maybe the thunderstorms cleared away the hotter air quicker then expected? I'm pretty sure I remember that around this time today we were forecast here in Norfolk for possible storms yet they seem to be non-existent so maybe it all cleared quicker with the overnight stuff?

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Sunny and clear here in South Norfolk, but I can see that cloud to my north.  Generally it feels breezy and not especially humid or unpleasant.

Maybe its worse by the coast? over here it feels like the temperature is rising every few minutes and the humidity is making me feel like i need a shower.

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

Maybe its worse by the coast? over here it feels like the temperature is rising every few minutes and the humidity is making me feel like i need a shower.

Hi Jenny, the humidity seems to be increasing here now.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

here in Hunstanton can't stay outside at all way too sticky and humid, anyone know any way I can find a local measurement for this? Stickiest I remember it being for years 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Delka said:

here in Hunstanton can't stay outside at all way too sticky and humid, anyone know any way I can find a local measurement for this? Stickiest I remember it being for years 

https://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=Hunstanton

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

In the last half-hour the wind has veered S...temp has shot up to 26C.

• Like 1

Posted

Two words THE. WIND.

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Hi Jenny, the humidity seems to be increasing here now.

Hiya, that makes more sense because you're not that far from here, i do not like this heat at all, also i think we will have another storm, there's that sort of electrical feeling in the air now.

Posted
26 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

That's never accurate for my local area, it gave me a 35c once when it barely hit 26c, and seems to always under-do the precipitation 

Posted
2 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

Hiya, that makes more sense because you're not that far from here, i do not like this heat at all, also i think we will have another storm, there's that sort of electrical feeling in the air now.

I've been thinking the same thing, theres that lull of complete calm but sticky feel, most of the areas of risk seem to miss me by about 5-15 miles though so if I get anything now I'll be very lucky 

Posted

Very humid here, rising rapidly in the last hour and we have swarms of flying ants, hate them, horrible things. Hopefully the predicted cool down arrives tomorrow. I assume no storms coming today?

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Delka said:

That's never accurate for my local area, it gave me a 35c once when it barely hit 26c, and seems to always under-do the precipitation 

You can chooose other weather stations in the same area, though.  I do the same; although the University of East Anglia (my alma mater) is a few miles away, I use their station as it seems accurate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I'd say it's almost certainly a bust now for todays forecast. Norwich hit 27c but has since decreased.....going to be a fair few degrees under what was forecast in the region. The forecast here today was 28c and sunny:

Today

Overnight showers and thunderstorms will soon clear with largely sunny skies developing. A hot and humid day follows, with light winds, perhaps leading to further isolated thunderstorms developing into the evening.

We've had no sun at all really, certainly not hot (just about scraped 24c)....but definitely humid. I'd also say it's been a lot windier than forecast. Quite odd for the forecast to be that far out on the day!

• Like 1