Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: overcast, mild, no wind.

Just about to hit ipswich; i can hear a constant grumble of thunder! Not at work till 3pm; so not only do i get to stay up and enjoy this i know i wont have to pick up the pieces!!! Just wish i had popcorn.....

Posted

As direct a hit for us here as you can get. Astonishing show of force... Difficult to argue that that was a once in a lifetime show, at least here at home.

As Steve Murr said, it truly felt apocalyptic for 30 mins comfortably. Constant lighting,forks crackling across the sky in every direction, constant thunder punctuated by frequent thunderbolt cracks. Direct fork hits only one or two fields from where I was standing (or hanging), torrential rain, everything you could ask for.

And then at the end, after it had all passed (just in the last 30 mins really), arguably an equally spectacular show to the north and north east, where I have a big view from a high perch. The murk cleared away from here, and we've just been watching the lightning forking and flashing constantly right from North around to East along the horizon, with occasional total light ups, where the whole sky lights up at the same time and you can see the shapes of the storm clouds and the intre-cloud forks and forks hitting the ground along the horizon.

Just amazing. Seems to me that some damage and harm must also have been done, however, sadly. Can't believe we can escape something like that without some casualties.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: overcast, mild, no wind.

Should also state if ypu see any damage tp the electrical network the number to call is 105 regardless of where you are in the country. A postcode, nearedt property and nearby pole number is very useful. Treat any cable as live and be aware in the wet it will conduct along the ground.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well a couple of hours sleep and it is back to torrrential rain with lots of lightning. Not a lot of thunder as this is very elevated.

Well a solid 20 minutes of it but it seems to be done now, the main area has missed east of me but two shorter downpours with lots of thunder and lightning isn't a bad result. There is another band currently sitting close to the M4 which should move through, it should reach here are breakfast time so it is a question of whether any heating from the sun can add some more juice to them or whether they will die away.

Edited by Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Not a bad night, reminiscent of July 4th 2015 when the bulk of the action stuck to the coastal areas (at one point it did look like it was swinging NW but we just caught the edge again). The earlier storm was mostly CCs and very pretty.

Posted

Well, we had yesterday evenings storm which was phenomenal, went to bed, was woken at about 2.30am by my partner shaking me and saying 'are you ok?'. Basically I was dreaming that I was being struck by lighting and was letting out a muffled scream in my sleep!  Just as we settled back to try and sleep, we heard thunder getting nearer. I think I must have heard thunder while unconscious and it directly influenced my dream, scary!

Couldn't get back to sleep so will have to function on 3 hours kip - not fun. Quite a bit of flooding in town last night, some of it still around this morning.

• Like 1

Total of 3 storms yesterday, we managed to clip the first one that managed to survive the channel just before dark. 

Then, some cells fired off this main one on the eastern flank, myself and my brother are 99% sure it was rotating, we saw numerous times cloud beginning to spin upwards. At one point it was so obvious my brother started to poo his pants.. I told him not to worry but deep down was thinking "wow, what if.." 

The final was the best around 2:30am not 100% sure on time as it woke me up. I was watching it for at least an hour some of the lightning was absolutely spectacular, with deep booming thunder. 

All in all, Euro4... You did well! 

Edited by Surrey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

God knows what happened. I was watching it, but was lightning here deffo wasn't every few seconds. In fact after waiting 10mins and nothing I fell asleep and got woken up at 1:30am by another crack.

very restless night. 

Need:lazy:

Posted

Got woken around 4am here, but due to slipped disc in back couldn't get up to open curtains to watch it, but plenty of loud cracks, around half 5 power went out with massive bang, thunder finished around half 6, had quite a bit of rain too. Hopefully some more later as it's very humid now with quite a blustery warm wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Well that was a bit special wasn't it.

Woke up and it was constantly light almost, cloud lightning all the time plus fork lightening.

One of the best storms for years, no one can say they are storm less and special storms at that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

I think so too seaside. Matt being interviewed on the BBC news this morning said there was over 100,000 flashes of lightning overnight (presumably in the UK). From my point of view I wish the timing had been better. After a day's work (and working today) I was asleep when the storms passed through here in the wee small hours - I was just woken up by the loudest bangs and then fell asleep again. Doh!

Rainfall wise I had 9 mm of rain overnight, but I suspect that fell in a very short time, so no doubt was heavy.

Looking at the radar this morning as the storms finally clear our Region, and remembering how the radar looked last evening, the predicted development of the storms as they moved North clearly followed the script. IMHO a very good effort from our friends at the Met Office.

05.00 596f0723859f5_RadarWed19July05_50.thumb.jpg.cb964a692a583d3e57f47b411579d7d4.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, wellington boot said:

As direct a hit for us here as you can get. Astonishing show of force... Difficult to argue that that was a once in a lifetime show, at least here at home.

As Steve Murr said, it truly felt apocalyptic for 30 mins comfortably. Constant lighting,forks crackling across the sky in every direction, constant thunder punctuated by frequent thunderbolt cracks. Direct fork hits only one or two fields from where I was standing (or hanging), torrential rain, everything you could ask for.

And then at the end, after it had all passed (just in the last 30 mins really), arguably an equally spectacular show to the north and north east, where I have a big view from a high perch. The murk cleared away from here, and we've just been watching the lightning forking and flashing constantly right from North around to East along the horizon, with occasional total light ups, where the whole sky lights up at the same time and you can see the shapes of the storm clouds and the intre-cloud forks and forks hitting the ground along the horizon.

Just amazing. Seems to me that some damage and harm must also have been done, however, sadly. Can't believe we can escape something like that without some casualties.

I just saw a news article about flash flooding in tunbridge wells. Looked bad. Must have been so intense 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

That is what I have been waiting for for years. Absolutely incredible that was. Very happy girl this morning. Will try and post a video later.

Posted

Well that was an amazing storm, I fully expect reports of flooding somewhere near here but i haven't seen the news yet, so many lightning flashes, spent quite some time earlier with a shivering seagull in my arms, which was trying to hide under my armpit from the weather, everytime the lightning/thunder went off, he whimpered, he is really not cut out to be a seagull.

• Like 1

Posted

Very little sleep due to the constant lightning last night. The MCV didn't actually produce that much here but the storms that developed just behind bought hail, constant lightning around 2am.

Posted

Many wonder why I prefer storms over heat and sun. Well If heat revs your engines, then the atmosphere before a storm does it for me. And last night gave me this 'atmosphere' in bucket loads. Absolutely bucket loads.

From seeing the storm heading towards me on radar,  to see the sky blacken, the first strike of lightning, till the rain made me retreat in doors - it is for me the most exciting and  exhilarating thing, that simple sun cannot give me.

Sure I wasn't blessed with lightning every few seconds, but I think being able to just watch a storm is sometimes better than being under it. 

So this morning we have the crud, still humid with a breeze, but today I'm not thinking of what could of been.

Nature did me proud.

• Like 4

Posted

My home town did a bit better, found this amazing pic on twitter, beachy head would of been the place to have been last night for sure.

• Like 3

Posted

Good god what a night, I havnt seen or heard so much thunder and lightning for years!!   I cant complain all summer now about lack of storms!!

Posted

Was anyone able to get a measurement on the hail that came down. Had some at my location but the rain was too heavy to go out and get some for mesuring

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Already 24c in Southend, anyone know when the fresher weather is coming today, as its horrible here now.

Edited by seaside 60

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

The sun is trying to break through the crud here. Still feeling warm and humid with very light S'ly winds, 22C currently.