Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Looks like the heaviest rain on the 21:50 radar is taking the M25 SE of London.

Edited by Wivenswold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Mild this evening, there have been a few bursts of rain and the wind has finally calmed down. 17C currently. Looking forward to tomorrow, will be interesting to see just how much rain we get and if there are any thunderstorms. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Well after watching all the forecasts and checking models I wasn't expecting to be disturbed in the wee small hours by the noise of very heavy rain! Yesterday I emptied my garden rain gauge - ready to measure the heavy stuff expected this coming Wed night for my location - but this morning there's already been an incredible 28 mm of rain!! :yahoo:So when the front finally clears through here tonight it will now be an added bonus!

The rain is stopping now (07.30) but here's how the radar looked at 05.10 591bee6a22035_RainfallRadarWed17May05_10.thumb.jpg.72785ecb7ee308893275bad738ea2030.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Lots of rain here through the night, around 20mm. Looks like plenty more to come later. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

It's tropical out there again. Still raining on and off. Although i know people hate this kind of weather, i positively thrive in these weather conditions. Had a lovely walk in the fro school, the birds were singing, it feels stormy. Sure, when i go out again later and it's pouring i'll be like :closedeyes:, but i have my new rain weathers stuffs now  :yahoo:

The garden looks lush and green at last too.

Edited by Dami

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

yesh it's gonna rain baby.:shok:

Posted

It definitely looks the eastern extent has been overdone by the models compared to real time west of London very wet while east I do not see much at all if nothing at least it rained overnight quite well in those parts?

IMG_2472.thumb.PNG.9e79414304483cc3ffeae0c0a47975fc.PNG

Edited by Changing Skies

20 minutes ago, Changing Skies said:

It definitely looks the eastern extent has been overdone by the models compared to real time west of London very wet while east I do not see much at all if nothing at least it rained overnight quite well in those parts?

IMG_2472.thumb.PNG.9e79414304483cc3ffeae0c0a47975fc.PNG

Have to agree, looks like the euro4 called this right, we now have to look the other side of the front across Wales to see if it moves east and how quickly... Going to be some massive totals later across central southern England 

And to think the front is going to pep up even more before clearing out the way.. 

Edited by Surrey

Posted
23 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Have to agree, looks like the euro4 called this right, we now have to look the other side of the front across Wales to see if it moves east and how quickly... Going to be some massive totals later across central southern England 

And to think the front is going to pep up even more before clearing out the way.. 

All the forecasts and model output I saw up until midnight showed the band initially in this kind of position (maybe 50 miles further east) but the overnight rain in the East seemed to be massively underdone.  Even at home in Clacton we got 18mm overnight and just north of Colchester (where I work) got in excess of 25mm, where most forecasts seemed to show light rain and a max of 5mm. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see the band trundle east 50 miles or so over the next 8 hours and any embedded convection will likely be in the eastern portion of the rain band... and may actually be ahead of the area of precip as destabilisation occurs and storms develop in the muggy sunshine over the European mainland.  I still wouldn't rule out some very big totals for SE regions and parts of East Anglia during this evening.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
5 minutes ago, fujita5 said:

All the forecasts and model output I saw up until midnight showed the band initially in this kind of position (maybe 50 miles further east) but the overnight rain in the East seemed to be massively underdone.  Even at home in Clacton we got 18mm overnight and just north of Colchester (where I work) got in excess of 25mm, where most forecasts seemed to show light rain and a max of 5mm. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see the band trundle east 50 miles or so over the next 8 hours and any embedded convection will likely be in the eastern portion of the rain band... and may actually be ahead of the area of precip as destabilisation occurs and storms develop in the muggy sunshine over the European mainland.  I still wouldn't rule out some very big totals for SE regions and parts of East Anglia during this evening.

Will definitely be interesting - managed 10mm overnight and into this morning (1mm more than my March total) SW of Norwich. Better than nothing at all :)

5 minutes ago, fujita5 said:

I thought last night's rain was associated with a Diffrent front? Yes, was massively massively under done all round and some places got over 20mm when less than 5mm if any was forecast!! 

I think somewhere between Surrey and Kent say around Croydon will be getting the highest totals today. 

Posted
22 minutes ago, Surrey said:

She just dont wanna budge yet.. 

Screenshot_20170517-123835.thumb.png.32494363a5a7ae08073c82dcf7ffdb36.png

Screenshot_20170517-123840.thumb.png.377fbe6e8cdb8a07f8058ab52fb05564.png

Have a look at the European view and animate the last hour - there's some decent eastward progression over France!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Just missing out here, its going to move a bit further west this afternoon before that new lot from France starts to push everything though eastwards later on into the evening. 

Just as well I got a fair bit of rain last night everything looking a lot greener, my potatoes seem to have grown half as much again since yesterday. I want more rain!:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Is this rain heading east or just north/ north-west? 

Is stick as heck out there, need some rain!

Was expecting the heavy rain by now but all we've had are a few spits!!! 

Mother nature is a joke! 

The rain seems to be west of chichester/portsmouth 

Edited by tomp456

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
4 minutes ago, tomp456 said:

Is this rain heading east or just north/ north-west? 

Is stick as heck out there, need some rain!

Was expecting the heavy rain by now but all we've had are a few spits!!! 

Mother nature is a joke! 

The rain seems to be west of chichester/portsmouth 

It will move back west first, then later on back east again to effect all of the SE before clearing tonight.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Stay out of the way please rain until after 6 . I haven't got the umbrella for the journey home . The front seems to be backing west for now .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Just under 24c here. I agree, it is so sticky out.
I'm hoping for a few storms to form ahead of the main band across northern France which will become embedded in the heavy rain as they move towards the far south east. I was watching some convection on sat24 and a couple of showers have now formed, lets see if these can become electrified. 
Still, if nothing happens today, there are more storm opportunities over the coming days to look forward to :)

And just a few minutes after I posted this, the first lightning strike from one of the cells ahead of the band! Looking pretty explosive down there.

Edited by <<Ryan>>
  • Like 2