Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Seriously cruel like the Millwall scoreline oh wait who would have thought it!! Some would kill for those synoptics in winter as chilly as it can get in May you would think. ECM would bring a protracted spell of unseasonably cool weather it may be closer to average in the south, pretty showery and overcast, cloud would be most troubling. Woeful.

IMG_2389.thumb.JPG.633fefbcbd2ff4cfafba122718c79cf7.JPG

IMG_2391.thumb.PNG.0edeade1910e995d99695f2e3dea38ef.PNG

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

A nice sunny morning despite the wind but cloudier now. Radar suggests a wet late afternoon and evening with a line of thunderstorms in France moving north, could they affect us overnight?

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Yes I think that the heavy rain over France could be heading our way later this evening, also some rain moving in now from the west to kick things off.

Not watered plants today, can we actually get some real rain!?

• Like 1

Posted

Not rain so far today here, high of 15.5c.

Tomorrow looks like a mixed bag - western parts of the region (closest to the low) will see the most frequent and heaviest showers, drier the further east you go, with the far east quite likely to stay dry. 

59061ea2e93db_PPVE89(2).thumb.gif.98ce2e2f5d5cce319327a279b297bf86.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Radar shows some PPN finally moving up from the south, can we get more than the usual light drizzle though this time?:cc_confused:

Posted

Not had a drop of rain today a few minutes of drizzle but nowhere near the forecast - some rain is pushing up from the S but even that looks like it wants to skim past. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Jay Wynne on Countryfile this evening confirming what many of us have been discussing - the lack of rain. To quote, he said the provisional figures confirm April was "a very dry month". My garden is certainly struggling with my 3 x 50 gallon rain butts empty and my lawn turning brown. It's 30 years since I moved to Suffolk from Wales and this is the driest I've ever seen it at this time of year. And unfortunately the first week of May isn't forecast to bring any respite. :(

Provisional figures shown on Countryfile this evening:  590636a0686cb_AprilRainfallProvisional.thumb.jpg.2d6b3a675a475fc3da7f0848d9c380e9.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Cloudy or not been able to dry 3 loads of washing outside. hoorah. 

Love the smell of air fresh clothes.

Edited by Dami

Posted

just a bit of drizzle again.:nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

It's just easing off here now after about 3 hours of much needed and welcome rainfall. I haven't checked the totals yet but must be close to doubling the rainfall so far this month.

Edit: I spoke too soon, it's pouring down again.

Edited by SenlacJack
Updating

Posted

Interestingly May is starting on a wet note some moderate PPN gone through here although shortlived. So a limited effect away from that it's been very light drizzle which does nothing. Must be around ~5mm of rainfall the monthly total, extremely dry. This area has avoided the showers/rain like no tomorrow.

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
50 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Well, woken up to clear blue skies as the south east is wedged between the 2 bands of rain. Was not expecting that. 

Bods well for a few storms today though if it can stay clear long enough and let the sun do its work 

Yes lovely sunny skies to start the day, would be great to see a storm later!

Posted

The Cold Front moved through my area in the early hours and gave 2.3 mm of rain here. Better than nothing!

05.50 5906dd8fb12a4_CloudMon01May05_50.thumb.jpg.fe851eaa92f7b4eb57f8385182d0b3fe.jpg

Posted
1 hour ago, Surrey said:

Surprised to see showers already breaking out.. 

Screenshot_20170501-083610.thumb.png.65bd5da8c04be6a8cea64f9340a34e9a.png

Screenshot_20170501-083615.thumb.png.cdd59584636ef8cc4283e429c27686c5.png

Looks promising, Surrey :) Would be great to see some lightning and get some nice cloudscapes. Just no monotonous grey rubbish that doesn't do anything, please.

• Like 1

Posted

Just had a moderate shower pass. All good for the grass.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Happy May Day (if that is your thing) and Looks like a typical BH with damp offerings, still it is a day off for many but not all.

Dami put your rain dancing boots on and do a jig, that should please the rain gods :D

• Like 2

Posted
51 minutes ago, Jax said:

Happy May Day (if that is your thing) and Looks like a typical BH with damp offerings, still it is a day off for many but not all.

Dami put your rain dancing boots on and do a jig, that should please the rain gods :D

i need to buy some:nea:

• Like 1

Posted

In terms of number of showers that have passed through during the day, it has appeared to be the wettest day for quite a while, but only recording 1.7mm of rain on stations around here.  High of 13.7c

• Like 1

Posted

yellowy sky and pouring. A last hoorah for the todays showers.

The lawn is loving it :good:

Posted

Missed most of the showers again, somehow found the gaps, blinking strange. I would have been real upset if it was winter though and they were snow showers!:D

Posted

Well I think it's fair to describe yesterday was pretty gruesome here, with a blustery cold wind and lots of cloud giving light rain & drizzle on and off through the day! My local pub had a beer festival with marquees, bouncy castle, bbq and live band, so it was just as well all 50 odd beers and ciders were £2 a pint to cheer everyone up!!

Nice start to this morning - blue sky, sunshine and no wind - unfortunately Carol says it'll soon be a return to a cold easterly and patchy rain which looks set to spoil the next couple of days.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Blessed Weather said:

Well I think it's fair to describe yesterday was pretty gruesome here, with a blustery cold wind and lots of cloud giving light rain & drizzle on and off through the day! My local pub had a beer festival with marquees, bouncy castle, bbq and live band, so it was just as well all 50 odd beers and ciders were £2 a pint to cheer everyone up!!

Nice start to this morning - blue sky, sunshine and no wind - unfortunately Carol says it'll soon be a return to a cold easterly and patchy rain which looks set to spoil the next couple of days.

Not sure if anyone else noticed, but Carol was unusually bullish around mid-last week about the chances of warm/hot weather this week, suggesting low/mid 20s to be possible, then watering it down to high teens/early 20s later in the week, and now admitting what has looked likely for several days - miserable. I wonder what made them so confident that far out, and for it to go fruit-shaped not long after. Looking at the MOD thread here, it seems this week's weather has been on the cards for several days, in fact possibly from the day that Carol jinxed it with her optimism!

Anyway, on topic, we got caught in rather a heavy shower in Kingston walking around the park lands just off Hampton Court yesterday, and sheltered for 10 minutes under trees; there were even puddles around for several hours thereafter. Pretty sure the plentiful bank holiday shoppers suddenly entered shops to feign interest in products to stay dry, or block the doorways. So hopefully a bit of help for the gardens in this area at least. It is a beautiful blue sky morning as you say Blessed, before the grey returns tomorrow.

• Like 1