Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
1 hour ago, Steve Murr said:

Morning

brrrrr - this temp for greenhithe 100M from the thames is amazing !

4 days from may!!

IMG_4824.thumb.JPG.8fecbf27819d29bd85eb2ab75bd56ae4.JPG

-2 here. Think a lot of tender plant growth will be completely trashed even though protected. Confounded nuisance. Wish the weather gods would remember winter is for cold temperatures. Bit like politicians- don't listen. 

Edited by Snipper
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Frustrating couple of days (for rain) IMBY. You could see the hefty showers shrinking on the radar as they moved south through East Anglia towards me. Ended up with a miserly 2.5 mm of rain.

Lovely sunny start here after an overnight minimum of -1C. But I can see cloud approaching from the north, as confirmed by the satellite image.

59019a532701b_CloudThur27April08_25.thumb.jpg.993c35ec155c197e390ff1b47ff8a3d9.jpg

For my location April's rainfall total so far is 5.3 mm which is well short of the April average of 45 mm. Thankfully there's a Bank Holiday on the way so it's bound to rain! :nonono:GFS suggesting Sunday 30th - the last day of April - could be rather wet with some pulses of heavier rain coming up from the SW.

59019a64062f3_GFSPrecipSun30April.thumb.png.d66b8a3d87f7b7656c60b941137cacb2.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Yes some very low temps last night to the west of London, -2/-3/-4c recorded, a -5c in mid Wales. Charts continue the northern blocking theme, if only it was 3 months back, an easterly wind keeping thing chilly in the SE I would think but surely this is the last of any frosts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, snowray said:

Yes some very low temps last night to the west of London, -2/-3/-4c recorded, a -5c in mid Wales. Charts continue the northern blocking theme, if only it was 3 months back, an easterly wind keeping thing chilly in the SE I would think but surely this is the last of any frosts.

Technically the last frost dates here are around now but can sometimes get frosts in May. Hopefully not this year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Light rain here atm. Need a nice low downpour but beggars and all that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Technically the last frost dates here are around now but can sometimes get frosts in May. Hopefully not this year!

Well hopefully not this year but 06z showing another cold plunge in May, hope that its wrong, it would defo have been wrong if it was January.:D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Heavy showers yesterday.
Steady drizzle here for last couple of hours, temps still under 10c.

On yesterdays rain the grass seems to have grown overnight....

Posted

And its still raining, we need the rain, BUT what a poxy afternoon and evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

After a grotty, damp and cold afternoon yesterday, it's a bit grey and dreary here again. Hopefully this cloud will break up soon as it's pointless if it's not raining.

Posted

I noticed this on my Twitter feed sinisterly beautiful that fourth image suggests not all were spared which is rather sad a big undertaking no doubt. Surely must be an uncommon occurrence. The Alps have also been blanketed by snow lately what a waste. I suppose vineyards in Kent and elsewhere in the SE were protected similarly from the recent frosty weather. Anyway a disappointingly glum day. 

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, Daniel* said:

I noticed this on my Twitter feed sinisterly beautiful that fourth image suggests not all were spared which is rather sad a big undertaking no doubt. Surely must be an uncommon occurrence. The Alps have also been blanketed by snow lately what a waste. I suppose vineyards in Kent and elsewhere in the SE were protected similarly from the recent frosty weather. Anyway a disappointingly glum day.

Fascinating images Daniel - incredible efforts to save the vines from these late season frosts. And as you say, after a poor season in the Alps, lots of moans in the 'Mountain & Snowsports' forum that heavy snows have arrived now that most resorts have closed - what a waste indeed!

Grey start here but lovely and sunny now the finger of clear sky showing up on the satellite has moved over my location. But my main interest with the satellite this morning is (was) the wonderful swirl in the low cloud showing up around Birmingham on the 06.20 image. Latest image shows it's moved up to the Nottinghamshire area but starting to lose its' form. I've checked the Met Office Fax charts and there's no feature showing, so I can only imagine it was caused by the wind coming over the Welsh hills? Any other thoughts anyone?

06.20 590448043f6b4_CloudSat29April06_20.thumb.jpg.0ee8d85de3032b28fbf4e29af40649e1.jpg 08.35 5904480e120d2_CloudSat29April08_35.thumb.jpg.b5eda1c7f22969db9915ac50b5e34484.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

Well surprise surprise, the predicted sunshine has failed to appear due to a complete cover of yucky grey cloud. Feeling chilly too. Zzzzzz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

It's cloudy and cold here. 

BBC breakfast forecast for this morning:

"sunny skies and temperatures reaching 17c perhaps 18c and it will feel very pleasant" 

No words.... 

Posted

the sun is trying bless it, but it can see my washing line.

so sun says no.

ah here it is.

Edited by Dami
  • Like 1

Posted

oh it's gone

Posted

Bright and sunny start, turned cloudy and quiet cool, last couple hours sun came out, but not warm in the shade and wind.

Posted
9 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Fascinating images Daniel - incredible efforts to save the vines from these late season frosts. And as you say, after a poor season in the Alps, lots of moans in the 'Mountain & Snowsports' forum that heavy snows have arrived now that most resorts have closed - what a waste indeed!

Grey start here but lovely and sunny now the finger of clear sky showing up on the satellite has moved over my location. But my main interest with the satellite this morning is (was) the wonderful swirl in the low cloud showing up around Birmingham on the 06.20 image. Latest image shows it's moved up to the Nottinghamshire area but starting to lose its' form. I've checked the Met Office Fax charts and there's no feature showing, so I can only imagine it was caused by the wind coming over the Welsh hills? Any other thoughts anyone?

06.20 590448043f6b4_CloudSat29April06_20.thumb.jpg.0ee8d85de3032b28fbf4e29af40649e1.jpg 08.35 5904480e120d2_CloudSat29April08_35.thumb.jpg.b5eda1c7f22969db9915ac50b5e34484.jpg

Not sure if anyone is actually sure, not seen anyone come up with a definitive answer on  Twitter etc.

Sunny start here, then clouded over before brightening up again this afternoon, high of 17.5c

Posted
1 hour ago, Sardonixs said:

Not sure if anyone is actually sure, not seen anyone come up with a definitive answer on  Twitter etc.

Sunny start here, then clouded over before brightening up again this afternoon, high of 17.5c

Hi Sardonixs. Thanks for the reply. The 'swirl' this morning was fascinating watching it develop and then fade on the 15 min sequence satellite image. Oh well, no real explanation, so we'll put it down to wind eddies off the Welsh mountains.

And may I offer you a very big welcome to the forum! Hope to see you posting again soon! :)

• Like 1

Posted

Things not looking as bad as they did a couple of days ago for the region tomorrow.  The frontal rain coming in from the west fizzles out and only really affects the far west of the region on tonight's model runs.  It's not until rain moves into the south during the late afternoon that we see more widespread rain; even then many parts will not see anything until the evening. 

5904f79c27043_PPVE89(1).thumb.gif.0e95e2cbd7901c15ca17fb3197c3fe17.gif

5904f7a572095_PPVG89(1).thumb.gif.1984f7cf5d56e54394a23c0412ceb312.gif

Edited by Sardonixs
  • Like 3