Captain Shortwave

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/2017 onwards

538 posts in this topic

New thread as we move into the second half of Spring, summer well and truly on its way.....

Well except the British weather has other plans with an unseasonably cold blast from the north with the risk of sharp frosts and wintry precipitation. Just signs though that we could see a flip back to warm or very warm weather as we move into May.

Usual rules apply, try to be respectful and keep chat relatively on topic please. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this morning I have gone out and panic brought milk, bread, soup and we're closing down the hatches :rofl: :rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

Well this morning I have gone out and panic brought milk, bread, soup and we're closing down the hatches :rofl: :rofl:

Are you expecting nuclear war?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My rain coat arrived. It won't snow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rather nice day here, 16C with some sunny spells and light winds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lassie23 said:

Are you expecting nuclear war?

At least it'll be warm!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

At least it'll be warm!

lol can grow melons, hopefully before the sun gets blocked out and a nuclear winter sets in

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

lol can grow melons, hopefully before the sun gets blocked out and a nuclear winter sets in

True. Imagine, -40 and radioactive snow, coldie heaven

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

True. Imagine, -40 and radioactive snow, coldie heaven

probably be marginal here:wallbash:

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

probably be marginal here:wallbash:

:rofl: Yep, sleet on the hills but rain at low levels despite -60 uppers 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol precipitation  will probably fizzle out by the time it reaches the SE

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

lol precipitation  will probably fizzle out by the time it reaches the SE

But upon reaching Spain will dump feet of snow 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really nice day today. Sunny pretty much and felt warm in the sun. 

A 2 day blink of unseasonably cold weather next week before recovering quickly to feel pleasant in any sun. 

Fingers crossed the warm weather returns and the dry weather continues into May! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been another pleasant and useable day here but still feeling quite chilly despite the sunshine with a max of 12c. The forecasted cold spell this week seems to be nothing much more than a couple of chilly nights for many of us here in the south east.

Still no signs of any useful rainfall though. On that subject I found some interesting statistics which seem to confirm my thoughts that London, the South East and East Anglia are in fact not as wet as some folk think when compared to the rest of Europe.

http://web2.airmail.net/danb1/european.htm

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SenlacJack said:

It's been another pleasant and useable day here but still feeling quite chilly despite the sunshine with a max of 12c. The forecasted cold spell this week seems to be nothing much more than a couple of chilly nights for many of us here in the south east.

Still no signs of any useful rainfall though. On that subject I found some interesting statistics which seem to confirm my thoughts that London, the South East and East Anglia are in fact not as wet as some folk think when compared to the rest of Europe.

http://web2.airmail.net/danb1/european.htm

A lot of these statistics do not make sense. 

Lisbon wetter than London? Eh? 

I lived in Lisbon for 2 and half years, I can tell you now that although a Atlantic Ocean city is does not get more rain than London. With my partner being portuguese and from Lisbon I can confirm that it rains more here in the SE of England. 

Amsterdam more snow than Gdansk, Warsaw and Berlin...?  the list goes on! 

Also it has Lisbon down as Number1 for sunlight hours with London no where to be seen. 

Are these statistics from an official source? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

A lot of these statistics do not make sense. 

Lisbon wetter than London? Eh? 

I lived in Lisbon for 2 and half years, I can tell you now that although a Atlantic Ocean city is does not get more rain than London. With my partner being portuguese and from Lisbon I can confirm that it rains more here in the SE of England. 

Amsterdam more snow than Gdansk, Warsaw and Berlin...?  the list goes on! 

Also it has Lisbon down as Number1 for sunlight hours with London no where to be seen. 

Are these statistics from an official source? 

 

I have no idea where the figures are sourced from to be honest, just a website I stumbled across whilst trying to get some more information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to use my rain coat.

yes.jpg

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, abruzzi spur said:

City of London avg annual rainfall 1981 - 2010 = 557.4 mm.  Source Met Office

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/climate/gcpvn15h9

Lisbon avg annual rainfall for same period = 726mm. Source:

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Portugal/average-yearly-precipitation.php

Well there you go. 

Who would have thought London receives less rainfall then Mid South Portugal. 

Taxi for Ben..... 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

29 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Well there you go. 

Who would have thought London receives less rainfall then Mid South Portugal. 

Taxi for Ben..... 

Think London receives less rain than quite a few places in Europe. It does annoy me sometimes that London is always portrayed both here and abroad as having a constantly wet climate. Completely untrue. Dull, often dreary and boring....yes, but not soaking wet all the time as this dry period shows well.

Edited by stainesbloke
3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe how nice it is here this morning feels very warm hardly any wind sunny it's going to be a big shock over the next couple of days hopefully we might get some storms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Think London receives less rain than quite a few places in Europe. It does annoy me sometimes that London is always portrayed both here and abroad as having a constantly wet climate. Completely untrue. Dull, often dreary and boring....yes, but not soaking wet all the time as this dry period shows well.

Maybe it has something to do with more continuous rainfall here but lighter. 

Lisbon and other cities are more dramatic, meaning a soaking wet day with torrential rain followed by a week of boiling sunny conditions where as London is a borefest with more rainfall days but intensity is lower. 

Thats my theory anyway, having lived in Lisbon for 2 and half years I did not experience the continuous wet days this country can have. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Ben Lewis said:

Maybe it has something to do with more continuous rainfall here but lighter. 

Lisbon and other cities are more dramatic, meaning a soaking wet day with torrential rain followed by a week of boiling sunny conditions where as London is a borefest with more rainfall days but intensity is lower. 

Thats my theory anyway, having lived in Lisbon for 2 and half years I did not experience the continuous wet days this country can have. 

Yes I tend to agree. We do have too many hours spoilt here with pointless drizzle and dreary light rain. Would much rather have proper soaking frontal rain or thunderstorms followed by sunshine. I'm a massively outdoors type of person with 2 allotments and it's actually not that often I have to hide indoors because of rain and general muddiness etc. The last time was June 2016, that was quite grim.

Edited by stainesbloke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

London is one of the driest capitals in Europe it's a very British thing to exaggerate the reality. I never understood myself why we're known internationally as a rainy city. I agree with the climate being boring - nothing much seems to happen out the ordinary. Stockholm sounds like an attractive place for variety in the seasons if only we could reproduce their climate! We would need the Gulf Stream bringing warm ocean currents to "shut down" to get cold snowy winters, maybe a Maunder Minimum replicate with solar activity on the way down, we are expected to enter a solar minimum god knows when. We may see the return of colder winters. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those who like sunshine and warmth, you really can't complain if you live in London. The summers are dry and humid most of the time, as for today though, the temps are dipping.:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.