Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2017 Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Heat + Thunder Winter: Cold

Been a great Summer in London. Lots sunshine and days in the high 20s and low 30s at times. Perfik!

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yep I also can't grumble so far this Summer as we have has many a day of light winds and temps into the low/mid 20's here,  Perfect for working outside it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
7 hours ago, Nick L said:

Today really is my perfect summer's day. Lengthy sunny spells, low-to-mid 20s and low humidity. Shame these days are as rare as hen's teeth in this country, and double shame that I'm in the office all day :D

Even more of a shame that the media's once again ramping the prospect of much nastier conditions. As usual citing the metoffice's 3 month outlook and the weatheroutlook's Brian Gaze as the sources.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
10 hours ago, Nick L said:

Today really is my perfect summer's day. Lengthy sunny spells, low-to-mid 20s and low humidity. Shame these days are as rare as hen's teeth in this country, and double shame that I'm in the office all day :D

They are more frequent up here. Today was an perfect example. Don't often get much hotter than mid twenties though.

Posted

At the half way stage of the summer and a significant typical NW-SE divide has developed. Temperatures from a line roughly north and west of the Tees to the Mersey have been average at best, indeed July so far is running slightly below average max temp wise here, only just made 22 degrees today - highest max so far, rainfall amounts above average and sunshine levels average slightly below, conversely the further south and east you head away from this line the warmer sunnier and notably drier it has been. Look at the met office stats for max temps for June, the east coast of east anglia and kent anamolously abvove average.

I suspect the disparity will continue through the rest of the summer, the likelihood of prolonged settled sunny dry spells diminishes markedly from now on in the NW, March-June optimum time, whereas the SE can easily hold onto very dry sunny conditions.

It has been a very pleasant summer so far overall here in the Lake District so far, yes no heatwave yet.. no prolonged bouts of dry sunny high pressure dominated weather, but neither have we seen persistant deluges, spells of pleasantly warm dry quiet weather interspersed with wetter duller cooler conditions balancing each other out. May though was a good month.

The rainfall has been enough to retain a very lush green scene. Today has been superb, tomorrow looks equally as good but the rest of the week is looking rather mediocre.. no consistency..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
2 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

the likelihood of prolonged settled sunny dry spells diminishes markedly from now on in the NW.

I'll hold you to that lol, since the GFS 12z has other ideas :cray:

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ice Man 85 said:

I'll hold you to that lol, since the GFS 12z has other ideas :cray:

Statistically second half of July and August here tends to be much wetter than period March - mid July, even February in many a year, but probably due to increased likelihood of thundery breakdowns. August can be thoroughly wet here, a long fetch SW wind is preety miserable for the Lake District the added warmth just seems to pep up the intensity of any rain.. I'm not a fan of August, rather skip it and get to September when the settled weather comes back..

• Like 1

Posted

You can quote weather stats all you want about certain months.. doesn't mean  that this August will be wet or be hot or be sunny.. Could be a good month.. but If you were to ask me what it will be like.it will be like  June and July up and down up and down..It seems the theme for this summer  for most of the UK..

Anyhow Sunday and yesterday were lovely days  even today looks  wonderful if you like summer days. shame its going back to normal after  tomorrow.

Posted

So it looks like July is going to join June with 3 fabulous days if it stays like this till the evening. I can't see a 4th coming along according to the outlook. I hope we can get another 3 in August also. Just to show how optimistic I am about September is that in 2015 we had 9 and 2016 we had 6. August 2016 we had 8.

Posted

With the setup the way things are looking I think August might be poor but where yet to see a really good month here yet so I wonder it will be a really good September. Hopefully no later than October though. Then again a sunny December is possible with lying snow as this hasn't happened for a few years.

Posted

Why  is it so windy in the summers these days??  you can almost guarantee on the most warmest of days the wind is   10/15mph.next week we will have winds from the  W/NW and they will very gusty..The benign days in summer  seem  something of the past.. I wonder if people feel the same way?? just seems more windier in recent times.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Well we are certainly paying for those 2 nice days and thunderstorms earlier this week. Utterly dreadful here now with howling winds, showers, no sunshine and 18C. Grim!

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Well we are certainly paying for those 2 nice days and thunderstorms earlier this week. Utterly dreadful here now with howling winds, showers, no sunshine and 18C. Grim!

The outlook is very grim! So much for the long settled spell at the end of July / beginning of August - it's now looking more like Autumn :( 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
On 18/07/2017 at 22:24, weatherguru14 said:

Why  is it so windy in the summers these days??  you can almost guarantee on the most warmest of days the wind is   10/15mph.next week we will have winds from the  W/NW and they will very gusty..The benign days in summer  seem  something of the past.. I wonder if people feel the same way?? just seems more windier in recent times.

The summers of the 80s were much windier than recently, at least they were where I am. Below is the mean wind speed for summer ( June to August ) at 340 m a.s.l for each decade since 1980.

1980s   13.2 mph

1990s   11.6 mph

2000s   11.7 mph

2010s   10.6 mph    ( average of 7 years )

Edited by Terminal Moraine
  • Like 1

Posted
57 minutes ago, Terminal Moraine said:

The summers of the 80s were much windier than recently, at least they were where I am. Below is the mean wind speed for summer ( June to August ) at 340 m a.s.l for each decade since 1980.

1980s   13.2 mph

1990s   11.6 mph

2000s   11.7 mph

2010s   10.6 mph    ( average of 7 years )

Thank you for the information :) 

Going back to the summer.. Its not that warm to day.. But the humidity is  very high .ts feels that way  anyway :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

So much fresher here today! Humidity really did plummet as that cold front raced through, can't wait to get home to get some fresh air into the house.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Thank goodness, Nick...If we're really lucky, we might get a good fortnight before the humid filth returns??

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

It feels like this summer is just not quite there at least around here, it's like it is a seesaw that is just balanced and it is just tilting one way then the other from time to time 

Wow! Im really surprised to see how low the Manchester Summer Index is in your signature. I view anything as under 200 as being poor as indeed I think  all the summers 2007-2012 were. Down here on the south coast I would think our index would be significantly higher. Although it is currently rather poor I would say up to the half way point this Summer has to certainly be seen as above average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
12 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

Guess wind and rain are going to be the order of the day from now  on.. Just wish one year we had such a good summer  people wouldn't complain for the next  5 years.. that may never happen again though.

I think we will get a long hot Summer again, but no one knows when. I reckon the clock has started ticking now on this Summer. Looks like down south has had a decent one (up to now). From midlands north not as good but I guess that is expected really, been topsy turvy around here. Looking at my records mid July to early August is the warmest time of year around here when I most likely record the warmest temps of the Summer. After that it becomes increasingly difficult to get heatwaves as the weeks roll on. Of course the odd very warm day into September cannot be ruled out but very rarely is it a sustained very warm spell like end of Sept 2011.

Posted

September last year was very warm.. lots of mid 20s  I remember, for a lot of the month. It does seem we get warm weather early on  in the year mid/ May early June..then  a mixture of everything then  warm again in late August  early September..

July this year as definitely been the best one in the  3 years though.. 2015 was totally forgettable. sadly nothing like 2013 or 14... Speaking of heatwaves I don't want   29c 30c .. just low 20s with nice clear  skies and light winds. not  taking  8 hours to clear cloudy weather only for the sun to come out at  5pm in the evening..

what  I find slightly annoying  though is weather forecasters with the use of the word  no sign of a "heatwave"in their forecasts  maybe 1/2 years back that would have infuriated me. for them  to us the word heatwave  in a forecast.. But now  I just know they are doing it to give people the wrong impression.. Because otherwise there would be no need to even mention the word