Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2017 Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Dear summer 2017,
Would it be possible to have the refreshing temperatures of this week, coupled up with the dry sunny conditions of last week please? :friends:
Only I've now wasted almost a complete week off of my holidays waiting for the rain to stop. :nea:
Your sincerely.

Disgruntled and Grumpy from North Wales. :angry:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
5 hours ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Dear summer 2017,
Would it be possible to have the refreshing temperatures of this week, coupled up with the dry sunny conditions of last week please? :friends:
Only I've now wasted almost a complete week off of my holidays waiting for the rain to stop. :nea:
Your sincerely.

Disgruntled and Grumpy from North Wales. :angry:

The days following the unpleasant heat were perfect really, largely settled with sunny spells and sensible temperatures in the low-mid 20s. Ideal!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
2 hours ago, Nick L said:

The days following the unpleasant heat were perfect really, largely settled with sunny spells and sensible temperatures in the low-mid 20s. Ideal!

Evening @Nick L :)
I just wish it had been the same around here. Yes the temps were in the low to mid twenties, but round here all we've had is an ensuing gloomfest feeding straight in off the Irish sea.
Sunday evening the skies did clear, and what a lovely sunset we had... Even a nice sunny start to Monday... But it didn't last, the concrete grey skies arrived by early afternoon, and that was the last time that we saw the sun around here. :(
Tuesday it started to rain and hasn't stopped since. In fact as I type, we have still got torrential drizzle.
Its just been a totally depressing week around here weatherwise. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Got down to 6.3c here early this morning chilly for the time of year.  Katesbridge County Down got down to 0.8c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Currently it's sunny with scattered clouds and a temperature of 18C. We also have a pleasant breeze. Absolutely ideal.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
4 hours ago, Relativistic said:

Currently it's sunny with scattered clouds and a temperature of 18C. We also have a pleasant breeze. Absolutely ideal.

Couldn't agree more. Sadly the GFS is intent on spoiling it with another import of muck from the continent come Thursday.

Posted

in my location it was much better up to this point last summer.. This year its been way to dull  here.  the strange thing  during any warms spells its been  very warm this  year compared to last. But over all in West Yorkshire. Its been a very disappointing summer..

The stats say  June was warm.. But 3 out of  4 weeks it rained..The bbc are going  for a settled period for the second half of July so is the Met office. The problem  looks to me its going to be  westerly based high. which will mean its never going to get that warm. which you'd   hope for  middle of July..

Posted

For those who like warmth it has been a good start to summer in southern England. Above average sunshine and well above average temperatures for June. Kent has fared particularly well looking at the Met Office anomaly maps.

Certainly a month for the summer lovers in the south, and this month has started off very well too.

• Like 1

Posted

But the synoptics haven't been particularly great - and yet we seem to be getting up to 30C with ease?? I cannot believe that this week's set up would have produced so many 31Cs and even a 32C even 10 years ago?? I'm not a global warming evangelist at all, but something's weird at least here on the south coast, I do feel a bit of a climatic change is happening. I feel it's a matter of time before we get that 40C, just need everything to fall into place in July or early August. Sorry I know this is a bit localised but worth discussing imo.

• Like 2

Posted

Certainly has felt like an unusual number of hot days this year. 

Posted

There seems to be a trend for these short bursts of very high temperatures in recent summers, without any real consistency nationwide. It has happened over the last 3 summers with some remarkable short hot spells in otherwise unremarkable summers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Must admit I was surprised to see Heathrow hitting 32c yesterday. 

It certainly seems to be the case now that breaking the 30c barrier is a little earlier compared to years gone by. I still remain sceptical of us getting to 40c though - perhaps a very localised occurrence in the future but certainly not widespread. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

A decent first third of summer here, with above average temperatures and slightly higher than average sunshine amounts. Thankfully very different to last June. Looks like a more Atlantic dominated period to come but hopefully that'll be brief and the sunshine and warmth will return very soon. 

• Like 1

Posted

Best day of July so far here today. So far here this summer is better than 2016, slightly ahead of 2015 but on par with 2013, 2014 up to this point. But this looks like where the latter years mentioned may leave 2017 in the dust for the next 2 weeks.

Edited by Matthew.

On 7/7/2017 at 07:30, Radiating Dendrite said:

Must admit I was surprised to see Heathrow hitting 32c yesterday. 

It certainly seems to be the case now that breaking the 30c barrier is a little earlier compared to years gone by. I still remain sceptical of us getting to 40c though - perhaps a very localised occurrence in the future but certainly not widespread. 

Kensington felt like being in Spain yesterday sapingly hot .

Posted

Looking at the bigger picture 2017 would need a cracking last third of July and August to get into the top 10 bunch of years since 1933(Most settled sunny summers) here. They are:

1. 1976

2. 1989

3. 1995

4. 1975

5. 1959

6. 2006

7. 1949

8. 1933

9. 1996

10. 2013

Edited by Matthew.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subtropical or mild tropical with low rain (semiarid)

Hello, I live in Spain. The weather here has been so nice! I've seen how central and southern Mediterranean European regions were extremely hot those last days, as well as well inland in Spain. 

I live at the coast in Alicante and in the last 2 weeks temps have been mild, highs in the 28ºC and lows in the 20ºC. It's like my dream summer this year !

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: 6-10 degrees. Spring 12-16 degrees. Summer 17-22 degrees.
3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Becoming hot and humid next week? find out below

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/40573471

Find out what? She gives no info whatsoever.

Posted

The EC would give me an ideal warm spell for next week really. Temperatures into the mid-20s, you don't need any warmer than that! Doesn't look all that humid either with dew points struggling to get into the teens at times.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
5 hours ago, Nick L said:

The EC would give me an ideal warm spell for next week really. Temperatures into the mid-20s, you don't need any warmer than that! Doesn't look all that humid either with dew points struggling to get into the teens at times.

Yes low twenties here which would be ok. Today is the perfect summer day here for me currently at 19c, plenty of sunshine and good air quality, low humidity and dew point.

We had a high of 13.2c here yesterday under the rain and a nearby station (most reliable) had a max of 12.6c which was the coldest July max since it had been installed in 2010.

Posted
47 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

Yes low twenties here which would be ok. Today is the perfect summer day here for me currently at 19c, plenty of sunshine and good air quality, low humidity and dew point.

We had a high of 13.2c here yesterday under the rain and a nearby station (most reliable) had a max of 12.6c which was the coldest July max since it had been installed in 2010.

Going from the GFS and ECM raw temps, I think low 20s is incredibly optimistic. Mid to upper are far more likely especially if that wretched Azores High drags up a southern flow. The south would be looking at *really* oppressive temps; perhaps topping those seen last month. Not looking good for those that want pleasant weather rather than oppressive.