Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2017 Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Its the hottest summer solstice on record and the hottest day of the year so far with Heathrow hitting 33.2c

Posted

Anybody know why this heatwave never really made the news? 5 days of 30c weather in June and nobody really cares but as soon as its summer holidays and we get 1-2 days of 30c its the main headline for a week ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
5 minutes ago, Delka said:

Anybody know why this heatwave never really made the news? 5 days of 30c weather in June and nobody really cares but as soon as its summer holidays and we get 1-2 days of 30c its the main headline for a week ?

It's one of the top stories on BBC. To be fair though, with the shambles of our government and the fire tragedy I guess it's taken a back seat.

• Like 3

Posted

I notice temperatures continuing to climb rapidly through the south - the influx of continental heat was really forecast to happen during this afternoon, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the final maximums recorded between 4pm and 5pm. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Its now the hottest June day since 1976 Heathrow has hit 33.9c

May still close in on 35C yet.

Interesting! Weston Super Mare was supposed to be the hot spot today according to ARGEPE - well, checking Wunderground, a lot of stations in that area recording 35C right now! Very localised though. Check this station and the accompanying map:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IWESTONS1

Edited by Man With Beard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
38 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

34.4c and rising

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

This is crazy for mid to late June! Imagine if this was 4/5 weeks later, I think you could easily add 1c on to todays values!

Posted
1 minute ago, mb018538 said:

This is crazy for mid to late June! Imagine if this was 4/5 weeks later, I think you could easily add 1c on to todays values!

If it was the start of August maybe add 2c on

Posted

Apologies if this has been asked already...

Is there any precedent for a notable hot spell like the one we've just had giving way to a terrible summer?? Or is there more of a link to a decent summer? Just curious if anyone knows :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Summer 1976 said:

If it was the start of August maybe add 2c on

Has there ever been a 5-day spell of 30C+ days that wasn't part of a hot summer? If there has, then I' don't remember it!:D

Posted

Also, I know the LHR weather station gets raised eyebrows a lot of the time:

image8.png

This is where the readings are taken from. Is that really a good spot for a weather station? Surrounded by tarmac and jet engines all day? Obviously the MetO pass it as acceptable, but I've always remained a tad dubious! I guess it's not much worse than some of the urban London locations, but it's hardly a Stevenson Screen in a green field is it? :D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

Also, I know the LHR weather station gets raised eyebrows a lot of the time:

image8.png

This is where the readings are taken from. Is that really a good spot for a weather station? Surrounded by tarmac and jet engines all day? Obviously the MetO pass it as acceptable, but I've always remained a tad dubious! I guess it's not much worse than some of the urban London locations, but it's hardly a Stevenson Screen in a green field is it? :D

I'm not totally convinced by it.. I haven't done any analysis, but to me it seems that whenever it gets a bit hot it records the highest temperatures far more often than any other station. Does anyone know when this station started taking readings?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
2 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Apologies if this has been asked already...

Is there any precedent for a notable hot spell like the one we've just had giving way to a terrible summer?? Or is there more of a link to a decent summer? Just curious if anyone knows :)

i cannot remember june having 2 hot spells, then nothing else. i dare say it has happened before, but i have no data.

one of my bug bares about summers is that if theres been no hot spell by the end of week 1 in july, its highly unlikely that that summer will be a great hot one. i checked the data on this, taking the top 20 hot summers on record, and nearly all of them had a hot spell or two in june. 1983 was the exception as it was awful until late june.

so heat in june usually leads on to further heat, often larger longer lasting spells too. but theres no guarantees, its all about probabilities based on historical data - so it is looking promising if you like heat.

• Like 1

Posted

Theres sill 10/11 weeks of the summer to go after this.. I would be very disappointed If the summer ended up being cold. I would actually say its pretty unlikely considering the amount of heat in Europe..We have already had 2 warm spells so far..Second half of May and this recent hot spell.. So I think  another hot spell is around the corner.. anyway  July/August are considered  and rightly so warmer than June. even I would suggest September is often more reliable than June.

Edited by weatherguru14
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
6 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

There's a surprise it just happens to be at the very dubious spot of Heathrow (again)...take these readings with a pinch of salt?

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

i cannot remember june having 2 hot spells, then nothing else. i dare say it has happened before, but i have no data.

one of my bug bares about summers is that if theres been no hot spell by the end of week 1 in july, its highly unlikely that that summer will be a great hot one. i checked the data on this, taking the top 20 hot summers on record, and nearly all of them had a hot spell or two in june. 1983 was the exception as it was awful until late june.

so heat in june usually leads on to further heat, often larger longer lasting spells too. but theres no guarantees, its all about probabilities based on historical data - so it is looking promising if you like heat.

Our warmest recent summers in the last 40 years or so - 1975, 1976, 1989, 1995, 2003 and 2006 all produced decent heat in June followed by further heat.. We've had summers though such as  1983, 1990 and 2013, 2014 that saw the heat arrive in July bringing 2 week periods of superb summer weather, something not on the cards this June. It is a good omen all the same. I'm cautiously optimistic that we will see further very decent conditions at times during the rest of the summer, but perhaps episodic, not a 1976 or 1995 repeat, the atlantic looks too active this year for that. Southern plumes and azores ridging is not a stable summer pattern as it is indicative of a rather amplified pattern, with rapid exchanges from ridge to trough, as we are about to see, and as we know the atlantic traditionally strengthens as the summer wears on.. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
4 hours ago, Relativistic said:

I'm not totally convinced by it.. I haven't done any analysis, but to me it seems that whenever it gets a bit hot it records the highest temperatures far more often than any other station. Does anyone know when this station started taking readings?

Heathrow tends to be no warmer than Kew Gardens or Hampton most of the time (Hampton has had the hottest day more than Heathrow in this hot spell).  It's just that this area is good for summer temps.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
35 minutes ago, B87 said:

Heathrow tends to be no warmer than Kew Gardens or Hampton most of the time (Hampton has had the hottest day more than Heathrow in this hot spell).  It's just that this area is good for summer temps.

This may be true, but when things get really hot Heathrow seems, almost always, to do better than anywhere else nearby. The 1st July 2015 saw Heathrow top the pack by over a degree C on all other stations in the area, and as far as I can tell the same has happened today. I seem to remember Heathrow beating all neighbouring stations in last year's short hot spells too. Would one not expect Hampton, Northolt and Kew Gardens to top the list as much as Heathrow?

Perhaps my casual observations are inaccurate, if anyone has any data that tells a different story I would love to see it.

Edited by Relativistic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

This may be true, but when things get really hot Heathrow seems, almost always, to do better than anywhere else nearby. The 1st July 2015 saw Heathrow top the pack by over a degree C on all other stations in the area, and as far as I can tell the same has happened today. I seem to remember Heathrow beating all neighbouring stations in last year's short hot spells too. Would one not expect Hampton, Northolt and Kew Gardens to top the list as much as Heathrow?

Perhaps my casual observations are inaccurate, if anyone has any data that tells a different story I would love to see it.

Well, Heathrow doesn't hold the UK all-time record. It was first held by Cheltenham and now by Faversham in Kent. It doesn't hold the September record either. Or the May record. Or the June record.

I really don't see anything wrong with the Heathrow station. A lot of the time it is the hottest station in the country because it just happens to be located in the warmest part of the country on average in summer. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Re Heathrow - there is a question to be asked regarding its accuracy but it's also located in the most inland part of Greater London, so you'd expect it to often have the highest temperatures. It's inland, in the south east of England and part of the biggest urban heat island in the country. 

Edited by danm