Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

No Storms Club 2017 Season

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

yeah but we got beer and bbq and you probably have but that's not the point.

Posted

Still here and likely to remain so for some time by the looks of things .....  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lighting and sunshine

Can I still be in here if all I've heard is a solitary rumble back in April?  It was literally something that could have happened in Iceland 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

I'm not in the no storms club this year which makes a very pleasant change but having just missed out on the main action once again last Sunday I wondered does anybody know if there has been any research into the decline/change of direction of mcs's in the U.K.? I know some people think it's the rose tinted glasses effect but I'm sure for about the last 10 years or so storms have hugely declined whilst north France takes a battering often- why do these storms now quite often shift north east away from the uk whereas we used to get frequent (not necessarily mcs) here in the south east. Is it also linked to the lack of snowfall too in recent years (although that's a more recent decline and could be just a phase). Anyway, I'd be intrigued to see if anyone has written a paper and if it's all just in our minds (I'm not the only one!!) or not.

Cheers

• Like 1

Posted

still ere.

whoop. 

*turns on TV*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Will Guildford actually ever get a T.storm this year?

Rotten start to the summer. Let-down after let-down.
(1) Saturday 27th May. Got within 5 miles before completely dying down then reinvigorating over East London and Kent. Completely missed out.
(2) Sunday 28th / Monday 29th May. Some rumbles but missed the supercell and spectacular storms further S.E. Kent get another thunderstorm event.
(3) Friday 2nd June. Completely missed out. Storms fired up 10 miles to the east.
(4) Thursday 8th / Friday 9th June. Another cold front destabilises with storms firing up just in time to affect Kent yet again with that infernal and infuriating eastward shift / shunt (storms never seem to develop to the S.W. and shift east to cover storm-starved central S.E. England).

Another kick in the teeth after all that annoying wind and vile atlantic muck suffered earlier this week and even more annoying that tonight's let-down storms were NOT even forecast previously unlike the other events that were SUPPOSED to affect local areas but resulted in let-downs.

Of course the next 10 days are modelled to be dry with absolutely no thunderstorm potential here and typical that this will no doubt be set in stone. Typical how there are no surprise storms in Guildford these days, can't even remember an occasion when there was such an event. 

Looks like June is going to be yet another extremely boring month here while 'weather jealousy' dominates and the usual areas have all the excitement that I crave so badly and have been starved of so much. Looks like another 2015 style year of infuriating near-misses.

Not impressed.     

• Like 1

Posted

my home town, however has been doing well

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstoms cant remember what one is tho!

I have a feeling that i Will still be here come tomorrow morning. It has been over a year since i last heard any thunder and close on 2 years since the last overhead storm! 

Posted

Well I haven't had a thunderstorm so far this year and there looks a high chance we'll miss out here yet again tomorrow. I posted in the Midlands regional thread how I have noticed a marked decrease in the amount of thunderstorms in my region since the late 00s at least. Prior to then , though my memory is probably flawed, I think we used to get a small handful of them most years. Growing up in the 90s that's the impression I've got at least. Before then even in the 80s when my memory is very very vague or non existent I get the impression from this site at least they we're fairly regular back then. Question is were there similar periods in the past we know of when thunder was very rare, or is this period unprecedented (doubtful I think?), but if so why?

Posted

oh my stars I am out.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Looks like it's time to put the chairs out. Lots of potential looks like turning into storms for the usual areas. Approaching the middle of July and nothing more than a couple of rumbles. I try to avoid getting sucked in any more........but it's the hope that kills you they say!

Posted
On 2017-7-4 at 18:57, davehsug said:

Looks like it's time to put the chairs out. Lots of potential looks like turning into storms for the usual areas. Approaching the middle of July and nothing more than a couple of rumbles. I try to avoid getting sucked in any more........but it's the hope that kills you they say!

It is a little frustrating isn't it. Though I don't know why exactly, been as I'm far from the biggest fan of thunder in the world. It's more just a lack of meteorological variety for me really, especially been as we've been so snow starved round here these past few years. All the thunder in the world wouldn't be a substitute, but at least it would remind us that sunshine, wind and plain old rain, aren't the only types of weather we experience. It does puzzle me though why this is happening. I don't think I can recall such a prolonged period with a lack of thunderstorms as we've had this decade so far. They used to be relatively regular, if not exactly common perhaps. Is this in any way unprecedented? Why is it so? Will this probably change eventually? Or is this just something completely normal which the law of averages alone is bound to throw up on occasion? I don't know, perhaps someone can give some insight. 'cyclonic happiness' in the Midland regional thread a few days ago suggested all the air traffic which flies over the region scuppers our chances with their contrails, but I don't know. If true however it's a situation which isn't going to change any time soon.

As for trying to avoid getting sucked in any more, I've thought about it myself from time to time, and just taking each day as it comes, with as little foreknowledge of what to expect from the weather as possible, or at least just sticking to tv forecasts, although that can also be frustrating if they're forecasting something interesting happening elsewhere, and you're forecast to miss out. Though I seldom if ever bother checking what people are saying in the MOD thread at this time of year, come Autumn I'm hooked until Spring. Considering how mild and practically snowless these past few Winters have been, it's just caused unnecessary stress, with all the hopes raised that have just as quickly been dashed. I'll probably be reading on there as much as I can come late Autumn again, in the vain hope of 1962/63 revisited, but I have to wonder whether it would be better for my peace of mind just to ignore it.

Also it should be pointed out (though I don't know what's going to happen beyond the weekend, which is forecast to be cooler and wetter than at present) it's been a fairly decent Summer so far, despite no thunderstorms round here ( though obviously high sunshine totals and warm to hot temperatures are really the only elements which make a classic Summer) so shouldn't complain really. Plus it's only early July with the bulk of the month still ahead of us, plus the whole of August and beyond for thundery potential. I think if I remember rightly in 2010 there were no thunderstorms at all until one evening in October, which didn't matter considering just a few weeks later we would experience the coldest December in over a century. But you can't expect something like that in any individual year. Even back then it couldn't be predicted in advance. I guess we just don't have a clue really and therefore anything could happen, so it's probably best not to get sucked in as you say and expect or not expect anything.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm out of here, finally a decent storm about 8pm ish last night. Best storm in the last few years

Posted

I'm back.

hope you missed me.

:closedeyes:

Posted
3 hours ago, Dami said:

I'm back.

hope you missed me.

:closedeyes:

No offence, but I thought this was the no storms club 2017. Not the no storms club July 2017. I have yet to see any thunder this calender year, not that getting to early July without is particularly unusual round these parts these days.

Posted
On 4/6/2017 at 14:35, CreweCold said:

As requested by @Dami, a new thread for the new convective season.

Reckon I'll be spending a bit of time in here :wink:

No storms is to mainly moan about not having storms which were forecast for your area. The only reason it says 2017 is so it covers the whole of this year at any given time and we don't have a thread that goes on from the year Dot.

29 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

No offence, but I thought this was the no storms club 2017. Not the no storms club July 2017. I have yet to see any thunder this calender year, not that getting to early July without is particularly unusual round these parts these days.

I therefore, quite rightly , was able to use this thread to moan storms never happened for me even although I was in a high risk area. Stops me from moaning in other threads which is not liked. 

This thread was created to MOAN in. It's also meant to be reasonably light hearted. Your in if you forecast doesn't happen or out if it does.

For me I stay OUT till the next thunder forecast and return if nothing happens. 

Up to the individual how they decide how to use thread. 

Edited by Dami
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, Dami said:

No storms is to mainly moan about not having storms which were forecast for your area. The only reason it says 2017 is so it covers the whole of this year at any given time and we don't have a thread that goes on from the year Dot.

I therefore, quite rightly , was able to use this thread to moan storms never happened for me even although I was in a high risk area. Stops me from moaning in other threads which is not liked. 

This thread was created to MOAN in.

Ok then. As I said no offence, I was just questioning it that's all. I don't want to be facetious, it's just a little frustrating seeing people moan about something they've only recently witnessed. 

I do get you though as you're clearly quite a fan and it must be annoying anytime you miss out. Of course for me not been too fascinated with thunder, just one good storm would raise interest at this stage, though I do long for a time of greater meteorological variety than we're currently experiencing. I suppose for me it's the lack of snow these days which I find a bit dull, and I can't get enough of the stuff, so I can relate to how you feel, as many a time in the past I've been disappointed about missing out on my preferred weather. Oh well it's out of our hands I suppose, and who knows what future weather may bring. It could all change in an instant for all we know. Anyway chin up, at least you've already seen some and the annual window of opportunity is far from closed yet. :)

Posted
9 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Struggling this year  nothing really as come within striking distance.    lets hope  we are saving it all up for winter.

What like what we don't get in thunder we'll get in snow. We live in hope.

Posted
1 minute ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

What like what we don't get in thunder we'll get in snow. We live in hope.

Yep  hopefully.   I do well here for snow usually  storms though this year really have been a bust.

• Like 1

Posted
41 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Yep  hopefully.   I do well here for snow usually  storms though this year really have been a bust.

Apart from the odd and far between solitary event, this decade so far has been a bust for storms. Though I would happily never have a thunderstorm round here again if our Winters constantly became very cold and snowy. We get whatever we get though and that's fair enough. I'm starting to think it's all swings and roundabouts and if it's happened before it'll likely happen again. They say there's nothing new under the Sun after all. 

• Like 1

Posted

I am pretty sure my area has had storms this year but I am here due to the fact I personally have not seen a Cg bolt or heard thunder in Leigh On Sea since 2015! 

All of the storms always happen during May and June when I am overseas and zip all in July and August.

So last thunder heard on Uk Soil was July 2015!