Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

No Storms Club 2017 Season

Posted

Still not heard anything since September, not even a solitary rumble. It's not just a case of being on the edge of storms, there has hardly been anything within 30-40 miles of here that I'm aware of.

Posted

Well I guess I should join you lot here, not a rumble all year am sure it will change soon enough!

Posted
21 minutes ago, MrNooo said:

Well I guess I should join you lot here, not a rumble all year am sure it will change soon enough!

I admire your optimism. 

• Like 2

Posted

If a single crack of thunder in the distance counts, I'm out on that score. When I heard it, I thought perhaps it might develop further, but it just ended up giving a short but heavy shower. Still yet to have a proper thunderstorm though.

Posted
17 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

If a single crack of thunder in the distance counts, I'm out on that score. When I heard it, I thought perhaps it might develop further, but it just ended up giving a short but heavy shower. Still yet to have a proper thunderstorm though.

It doesn't WW! Has to be a full on storm, or at least a beefy thundery shower :D.

Not to sure about those claiming re-entry either! Surely the No-Storms club is a sort of "annual virginity", once it's gone it's gone!:rofl:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
On 07/07/2017 at 16:17, Summer of 95 said:

Still not heard anything since September, not even a solitary rumble. It's not just a case of being on the edge of storms, there has hardly been anything within 30-40 miles of here that I'm aware of.

Same- nothing here since last September either

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Well and truly in the 'No Storms Club' here with not a single day with thunder heard this year, let alone a proper thunderstorm. In my 54 years of records this is the longest spell, from the beginning of a calendar year, with no thunder heard.

Posted

Welcome to Kettering: the driest, most unfathomably storm-free zone in all of England. I'm starting to believe there is a meteorological phenomenon associated with the area--some sort of blocking microclimate--that keeps convection from traveling or forming overhead, and I'm going to start an old wives tale about it. Even when cells are in the vicinity, they somehow manage to circumnavigate the town. No storms this year. Still.

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 02.49.28.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstoms cant remember what one is tho!
3 hours ago, shadyjam said:

Welcome to Kettering: the driest, most unfathomably storm-free zone in all of England. I'm starting to believe there is a meteorological phenomenon associated with the area--some sort of blocking microclimate--that keeps convection from traveling or forming overhead, and I'm going to start an old wives tale about it. Even when cells are in the vicinity, they somehow manage to circumnavigate the town. No storms this year. Still.

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 02.49.28.png

I feel your pain, Telford is A LOT like that! Last storm of note was July 2015. Then i had a couple of rumbles in May 2016 but that is it! So it has been a full year since i have had a storm!

Posted

Well I'm still in here, as are almost everyone in the west midlands region. I'm starting to wonder if 2017 could go down as the first calendar year in a very long time (possibly ever) that we see no thunder at all here. There has been a very marked decline in thunder in this region, especially this decade so far, with very low figures for each year now (average 1). Based on that it seems that this situation is inevitable really. I hope this thunder drought round these parts breaks eventually.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Out again and not coming back. 

hoorah.

Posted
3 hours ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Well I'm still in here, as are almost everyone in the west midlands region. I'm starting to wonder if 2017 could go down as the first calendar year in a very long time (possibly ever) that we see no thunder at all here. There has been a very marked decline in thunder in this region, especially this decade so far, with very low figures for each year now (average 1). Based on that it seems that this situation is inevitable really. I hope this thunder drought round these parts breaks eventually.

Yeah this year it's not just been a case of them missing by 10 miles, nowhere between here and Leicester/Derbyshire area has had anything I'm aware of. There have been so many promising setups, what is going on that's causing them to skip the entire west Midlands time and again this year? The south coast keeps getting them, the north has had a few.

• Like 1

Posted

Did we get a storm during the winter? Or was that the winter before? Or 2 winters ago?  The winters are all belnding into one in my memory.

If we didn't, then I'm very much in...last September being the last storm here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
5 hours ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

LOL

I've had a few calendar years without thunder. Such long gaps between storms. Last one here- September last year. 

Just have to lump it I suppose don't we.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

LOL

I've had a few calendar years without thunder. Such long gaps between storms. Last one here- September last year. 

Just have to lump it I suppose don't we.

It's beyond our control I suppose. To be honest I wouldn't have heard anything about it if I hadn't have come on here a couple of days ago, so my own curiosity is to blame really. I often wonder whether it's better to go through each day with complete ignorance to any weather forecasts, (though even then you often hear misinformed rumours which is annoying as well. The amount of times I've heard people say it's going to snow in such and such time, only for there to be little to no prospect in any real forecast. Where some people get these ideas, I don't know (Daily Express probably)) then any weather you do get that pleases you would be a nice surprise, rather than chasing shadows in the MOD thread etc. and having hopes raised and crushed all the time.

Posted

Still here, I could see a storm well off towards Oxford late last night but am not sure it counts as nearly 50 miles away!! Very little rain if any and certainly no storms!!

Posted
1 minute ago, MrNooo said:

Still here, I could see a storm well off towards Oxford late last night but am not sure it counts as nearly 50 miles away!! Very little rain if any and certainly no storms!!

Apparently it only counts if it happens directly overhead.  Which is why the distant rumble I heard a week ago last Sunday didn't count, hence I'm still here. Mind you even if it had have counted, it wouldn't have done really in my mind. 

• Like 1

I've lived in Turvey, Bedfordshire for over 11 years, and in that time have only had one decent overhead thunderstorm (around 2014 I think). I've lost count of the near (and not so near) misses. Northampton just a few miles away always seems to get them, as does my mother near Huntingdon, and even Bedford itself 7 miles away gets more than we do.

A previous poster mentioned wondering about whether some kind of thunderstorm-repelling microclimate thing exists, and if it does it certainly happens here, Incredibly frustrating :-(