Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Climate change study at Cambridge Bay, Resolute and Eureka, NU, Canada (1940 to 2022)

Roger J Smith

• 1 year later...
Posted

I have updated as much of these arctic summaries as possible, given that some of the reporting sites are suffering from variable amounts of missing data, more so than before 2020. 

Meanwhile I found a trip log from July-August 2008 for large portions of the interior of Victoria Island. The context is that Victoria Island is a huge expanse, the world's 8th largest island and similar in size to Honshu (7th) and Great Britain (9th). Most of the land is rolling tundra with sedimentary rock formations underlying extensive areas of small ponds and lakes, and chaotic drainage. However one large river, the Kuujjua, rises in northeast portions of Victoria Island not far from the last large indentation before the Storkerson Peninsula, and flows about 500 km west to reach the Arctic Ocean at the end of one of the western inlets. The trip report includes a lot of details on the weather in 2008 (I found it was 2008 and not 2009 as you might surmise from the log publication date in spring 2010, from a reference to an eclipse of the Sun which I verified happened on Aug 1, 2008). Also the weather details match to some extent what Cambridge Bay reported at certain times in summer 2008 (with the qualifier that their location was quite some distance north and later northwest of YCB). So here's their report: 

http://www.pakboats.com/kuujjua-river-beaufort-sea-expedition/