Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

UK Tanning Season Begins Now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I do this thread every year. Unfortunately UVAwareness has been taken offline :( so I've had to use the Met Office. But regardless, the first UV indexes of the year are here on Sunday! Earlier than last year :)

image.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

UV index of 3 here today and certainly feels it sat outside for lunch.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Sunburn season begins by the end of March for me :(

Posted
8 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Yep I get burned all year round pesky pale skin and blue eyes :(

In a way it's a good thing. It means I don't get complacent with the sun during the summer months, if I'm outside I will cover up! Let's be honest, tanning is not exactly good for you anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Over 18C please!

Tanning might not be 'exactly good for you' but the Vit D your skin makes in the sun, sure improves your mood!

It's been lovely pottering in the greenhouse today, even had lunch in there today :D

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Beautiful day with loads of warm sun, hopefully much more of this to come this year.

• Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, interested & confused said:

Tanning might not be 'exactly good for you' but the Vit D your skin makes in the sun, sure improves your mood!

It's been lovely pottering in the greenhouse today, even had lunch in there today :D

Oh of course, lovely day today! Lovely feeling of the warm spring sun.

There's a difference between getting a healthy dose of sunlight and tanning/burning though.

Edited by Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

More chance of getting frostbite standing outside here than getting a tan.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Can't wait to start picking up some colour. Hate being pale and ghost like during the winter.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Nothing higher than 2 here for the next week can't certainly feel the strength getting back into the sun now

Posted

UV of 3 here on Wednesday according to the Met Office. 

What sites does everyone use for their UV forecasts?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
On 09/03/2017 at 16:07, weirpig said:

Blue eyes handle sunlight better though. I can barely open my eyes in high summer on sunny days because of the bright sunlight...I'm forever squinting. My eyes are bordering on black they're that dark brown, so absorb more light.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
On 09/03/2017 at 16:07, weirpig said:

You'd struggle to get burned in the UK from November until late Feb.
Sun glaring on snow might just do it in February.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
11 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Blue eyes handle sunlight better though. I can barely open my eyes in high summer on sunny days because of the bright sunlight...I'm forever squinting. My eyes are bordering on black they're that dark brown, so absorb more light.

Actually the opposite is true. Lighter eyes have less pigment in the layers of the iris and therefore allow more light to pass into the retina. Dark eyes allow less light into the retina. It is like the difference between wearing glasses tinted pale blue versus dark brown. You're probably just particularly sensitive to light.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
3 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

Actually the opposite is true. Lighter eyes have less pigment in the layers of the iris and therefore allow more light to pass into the retina. Dark eyes allow less light into the retina. It is like the difference between wearing glasses tinted pale blue versus dark brown. You're probably just particularly sensitive to light.

Yes, just seen this

https://www.quora.com/Are-people-with-dark-colored-eyes-more-sensitive-to-light-than-those-with-lighter-colored-eyes

Funny as I'd always presumed my ultra dark eyes were the reason. I sometimes have to close my eyes completely when out in areas which reflect a lot of light e.g white painted buildings etc. It's quite uncomfortable really.

Posted
20 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Yes, just seen this

https://www.quora.com/Are-people-with-dark-colored-eyes-more-sensitive-to-light-than-those-with-lighter-colored-eyes

Funny as I'd always presumed my ultra dark eyes were the reason. I sometimes have to close my eyes completely when out in areas which reflect a lot of light e.g white painted buildings etc. It's quite uncomfortable really.

I used to suffer from hay fever a lot, seems to have got much better the older I have got though. When I was going through a bout I found my eyes (also dark) got much more sensitive, and I'd also get sneezing fits when I went into bright sunlight, its called the photic sneeze reflex. As I say though, has subsided as I've got older. 

Posted
20 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Yes, just seen this

Strange really   evolution not doing its job.

• Like 1

Posted
19 hours ago, weirpig said:

Strange really   evolution not doing its job.

Interesting tidbit I found... 

"Lighter-eyed people generally did better on self-paced tasks, such as bowling and golf, while darker-eyed people performed better on reactive tasks, like boxing and hitting a tennis ball."

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

The sun feels warm here today, T shirt weather for gardening for the 1st time this year.

Posted
38 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Even this far north I had my first taste of catching the sun last week, chance would be a fine thing today with the cloud. I'm planning on a lot more sun exposure than normal this year as my psoriasis has advanced over winter and needs to be cleared. I'll take an increased risk of skin cancer over the constant daily itchy, painful and depressing reality of psoriasis. No burning though, slow and steady from now on. 

It's the way forward... Mine gets worse every winter, but clears up a treat during the summer months.

I've always found that it's important to get the sun early in the year (obviously not too much), as that seems to make the difference later on. I'm trying to convince our friend to do the same. I hope she'll take advantage of being on maternity leave this year and get out there early.

Shorts and t-shirt come out in March for me, much to everyone's amusement.

Posted
5 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It's only once it dies down a bit that you realise how bad it's been. Mine was bad enough several years ago that I got light treatment in hospital and that almost completely cleared it for a couple of years. Fingers crossed for some natural relief this year, and good luck to you too with clearing yours :) 

Cheers. You too.

Cloud has lifted here, so I'm out there now. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Caught a slight tan the other day, surprisingly! And it takes a lot for me to tan!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Working outside a lot today and this evening ive a bit of sunburn on the top of my head (dont have a lot of hair on that part of my head it must be said). It never would have dawned on me at all about getting sunburn in early april,especially with temps here today only at 13c or 14c. Im not fair skinned and get a decent colour during the summer. Well just shows the sun is certainly getting pretty strong now.

Edited by sundog