Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 08/03/17

Posted
2 hours ago, knocker said:

People keep talking about upgrading this and downgrading that but the detail for the Easter weekend was never pinned down and in fact still isn't. People expect far too much from the models, outside of the reasonable time frame, forgetting, or deliberately ignoring their current scientific limitations. In winter you can say this in spades when the cold cabal are in full hysterical mode.

That's a fair point, Knocker.

I certainly don't think the Easter weather is in any way "settled" as yet and intra-run variation adds to the confusion.

I do think the key is the extent to which the trough digs SE over the North Sea on Saturday. Some earlier modelling suggested quite a plunge into the southern North Sea which encouraged a height rise to the west oriented more North-South and maintaining a N or NE flow - something like P10 on the 06Z GEFS.

What we are now seeing is a more ESE'ly drift into southern Scandinavia which restricts the N'ly plunge and keeps heights to the SW and these build back across keeping the Easter weekend fairly benign before a second attempt at what I shall call "the plunge" after Easter.

At T+168 (Easter Monday), there's broad agreement in the GEFS for a new LP to develop south of Iceland and it's what happens to this that drives the FI evolution.

Move out to T+240 and you can see the OP and the majority lowering heights to the E and SE over Europe and introducing a cool N or NE'ly but the big spread is Eastern Greenland - this is between those Members which develop Greenland heights and a ridge S or SE and those which build heights from the mid-Atlantic NE but lower heights over Greenland. The latter option leads to the jet sinking the HP while the former locks in the colder airflow.

At T+324, this divergence becomes enormous - look at P12 and compare with the OP for example.

The modelling has consistently shown the possibility of Greenland heights in low-res but they've rarely come into high-res so caution is very much the watchword. The repeated plunge of Arctic air with associated Greenland heights has been consistently and persistently modelled in high-res but has not so far come into low-res. This may be because of the continued persistence of PV energy over NE Canada and NW Greenland - this has, throughout spring, encouraged MLB rather than HLB but as it dissipates (final SSW anyone ?), there is the potential to import that warmer air into Greenland and encourage blocking and I wonder if the record snowfall recorded might strengthen that blocking as we move further into spring but that's an observation for another place.

Yet, it hasn't happened - the PV energy has persisted and held back the development of HLB - once again, until we see it strongly in low-res I would be cautious. For now, it looks as though Easter will be unremarkable - neither warm nor cool, probably near average with perhaps a warmer day or two in the south but also a little rain for all at some point and perhaps something a bit more defined for NE Scotland and NE England.

• Like 2

Posted
42 minutes ago, snowray said:

But in the last couple of years its been 0 out 10 and I have lost count of the number of times that a northerly has been showing up in that time frame, what signals do the models keep picking up for the D7-D10 range that are always wrong then? In fact everything is usually shifted many hundreds of miles to our east, surely there is a way of correcting these errors.

Well if your brief analysis is correct I sincerely hope not as it's a trend that should be encouraged.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Yes the ukmo 12z looks more settled by Easter Sunday and the Gem 12z improves too with high pressure gradually taking over.

UKMOPEU12_144_1.png

GEMOPEU12_144_1.png

GEMOPEU12_168_1.png

GEMOPEU12_192_1.png

GEMOPEU12_216_1.png

GEMOPEU12_240_1.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted

I actually don't think the Easter weekend will be bad at all, at worst it's likely to be sunshine and April showers, some heavy with hail and thunder but they would die out if high pressure nudges in as shown on the ukmo / gem 12z and any cooler / colder air would be negated by the increasing strength of the sun which is already as strong as early september.

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 2

Posted
40 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

I actually don't think the Easter weekend will be bad at all, at worst it's likely to be sunshine and April showers, some heavy with hail and thunder but they would die out if high pressure nudges in as shown on the ukmo / gem 12z and any cooler / colder air would be negated by the increasing strength of the sun which is already as strong as early september.

I think it is almost a given that any pronounced colder weather will be post Easter weekend. Quite a few of the gefs showing -8c 850 temps pushing down across much of the country post Easter.

Edited by comet
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
10 minutes ago, comet said:

I think it is almost a given that any pronounced colder weather will be post Easter weekend. Quite a few of the gefs showing -8c 850 temps pushing down across much of the country post Easter.

You don't mean at D10 there by any chance do you comet?:wallbash:

In fact I think I'll book my trip down to Bournemouth after all for the Easter break, its looking pretty good on todays runs.  UKMO best of all..:D

120-580UK.GIF

168-580UK.GIF

Posted

The Ecm 12z looks unsettled and chilly for most of the Easter weekend, and it stays chilly beyond Easter with high pressure to the west and lower heights to the east / northeast..a locked in pattern.

120_mslp850uk.png

120_mslp500.png

144_mslp850uk.png

144_mslp500.png

168_mslp850uk.png

216_mslp850uk.png

240_mslp850uk.png

240_mslp500.png

Edited by Frosty.

Posted

Still not complete agreement between the gfs and ecm over the weekend. The ecm is still liking a shortwave spawned by the upper trough near Greenland at T120 tracking east and impacting Scotland Sunday night with some quite wet weather A slight variation on the previous run.

ecm_mslp_uv850_natl_7.thumb.png.44228339a375a86c19e112c931659145.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Hello! Tonights gfs and ecm ops suite suggest a continuation of the benign drier than average conditions ,with temperatures below average , so lets not use the word cool, cool cool at this time of year , it feels cold ,cold cold  with the latest synoptic outlook:cold::rofl::cold:

EASTER.png

EASTERX.png

freezing.gif

• Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Hello! Tonights gfs and ecm ops suite suggest a continuation of the benign drier than average conditions ,with temperatures below average , so lets not use the word cool, cool cool at this time of year , it feels cold ,cold cold  with the latest synoptic outlook:cold::rofl::cold:

EASTER.png

EASTERX.png

freezing.gif

Nothing to me that suggests 'cold, cold, cold' in the reliable timeframe- looks at worst slightly below average for many, and not even below average further south. Pretty sure 15C is above average for London for this stage of April in fact.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Our cold blast has moved a few hundred miles further east it would seem on the 18z, could be quite mild by easter Monday now. Getting close to 20c on the south coast at this rate.:D

gfs-1-162.png

gfs-9-162.png

• Like 5

Posted
13 minutes ago, snowray said:

Our cold blast has moved a few hundred miles further east it would seem on the 18z, could be quite mild by easter Monday now. Getting close to 20c on the south coast at this rate.:D

gfs-1-162.png

gfs-9-162.png

Doesn't look cold, cold, cold for the south does it. :D

18_141_mslp500.png

18_141_uk2mtmp.png

18_165_mslp500.png

18_165_uk2mtmp.png

18_189_uk2mtmp.png

18_189_mslp850.png

• Like 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Doesn't look cold, cold, cold for the south does it. :D

18_141_mslp500.png

18_141_uk2mtmp.png

18_165_mslp500.png

18_165_uk2mtmp.png

18_189_uk2mtmp.png

18_189_mslp850.png

Looking lovely and mild to me, I would expect a few places pushing up around 18c/19c in the S and SE by monday. :D

Ahhhh nooooo whats this I see, here comes our next D10 northerly teaser.:help:

gfs-0-252.png

gfs-1-252.png

Edited by snowray
  • Like 3

Posted

Here comes the snow!!!!:shok::help:

18_252_preciptype.png

18_252_mslp850.png

18_252_uk2mtmpmin.png

18_276_preciptype.png

• Like 5

Posted

As per last night's anomalies, and in that case not altogether surprising. the EC46 update is agreeing with the upcoming pattern change. That is, upstream, Alaskan ridge into the Pole and a quite intense vortex lobe N. Canada with associated trough into the western Atlantic.Downstream very strong surge of the Azores in the Atlantic with the trough to the east. This gets underway this weekend, intensifies next week, and quickly declines starting around the 24th as the amplification weakens. So confidence in the broad picture is relatively high but the detail as ever will depend on the precise orientation and position of the high pressure. Certainly the surface temp will in all probability below average but it could be quite dry still, depending on the above caveat.

Meanwhile back at the ranch. Saturday 00z sees the main low east of the Faeroes on it's way to eastern Europe with the UK in a NW showery airstream which gives way to a drier regime during the day as the ridge nudges in from the south west.

gfs_ptype_slp_eur3_21.thumb.png.3a45d852f2e98d1e60e9b801e418097f.png

The ridge is briefly squashed on Sunday as the next trough rushes through, again en route to Denmark and points east, which brings some wet weather and some quite lively winds to to Scotland. Following this the HP regains influence and Monday looks like being a much quieter and pleasant day for all with temps not too bad before the high pressure slips away south east and the aforementioned pattern change gets underway.

gfs_ptype_slp_eur3_29.thumb.png.681e2ad39deaa0beaecf2d04c7a449e2.png

Thus by midday Wednesday we see the Azores surging in mid Atlantic and consequently the next trough tracking south east over the UK  Best left there I feel

gfs_z500a_natl_35.thumb.png.a90f0b2678910cdd742c72cba9311b1f.pnggfs_ptype_slp_eur3_35.thumb.png.dc95ca3fe0e0a1a1410bb2baa5e0c706.png

So Easter in a nutshell, starting off showery but, apart from the odd blip in Scotland, improving as the weekend progresses, Best of the weather all told in Cornwall.

And just to confirm where we are probably going with this this morning's GEFS anomalies

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_53.thumb.png.d92ec7553d0d5382e902218a644db41c.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted

The ecm still has a little shortwave breaking off from the main low to the west and tracking it N. Ireland/central England on Sunday to be East Anglia midnight Monday. Thus fairly wet in the aforementioned areas. From that point the Azores surges and high pressure dominates proceeding and nary a rain drop in sight. This may well become a concern as I believe others have mentioned and was discussed on Farming Today this morning.

ecm_mslp_uv850_eur_7.thumb.png.bbaf980be9dbbea230973b071e2bb0d9.pngecm_z500a_5d_natl_11.thumb.png.fbfb800b978ca49b2e3ca1920a8f3d27.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted

Again the Gfs is showing a risk of snow on the 00z for scotland this weekend..:shok:

00_96_preciptype.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A chilly start to the easter weekend but by Sunday and Monday temps do recover a bit especially for the south so if you can get some sunshine and light winds it would be pleasant enough given the sunshine is getting stronger

GFSOPUK00_135_5.thumb.png.a200746abefcd5c1a25ac4b0ccd62a89.pngGFSOPUK00_159_5.thumb.png.75dce74f6cc5f8bdf79675b0082eb71c.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

NCPE_phase_21m_small.gif ECMF_phase_51m_small.gif JMAN_phase_51m_small.gif

As GEFS is way more vigorous with some MJO activity starting just 3-4 days from now than the other models, I am skeptical of it's extensive Arctic blocking scenarios with a focus to the W/NW of the UK. The composites for phases 7-8 tie in very well with the model's trends of late.

AprilPhase7gt1500mb.gif AprilPhase8gt1500mb.gif

That ECM has toyed with some blocking too has raised an eyebrow at times and suggests the model is not totally adverse to a bit of MJO action, but of course it may also have been having some of the old feedback issues with amplification. This morning has really backed off though, with the 'limpet vortex' by Canada trying to do us a favour in diverting the cold air to our east - but given the time of year, it's not able to prevent a raw easterly affecting the south for a time.

ecmt850.192.png

It soon slackens off, but I'd be interested to see how the strong sunshine interacts with that cold flow and whether it can overcome the high SLP values.

Given the general tendency of the past 4-6 months I'd not be surprised to see this favoured over blocking to the NW even without the MJO considered. Ridges seem very inclined to lean our way - but can we hold onto that for the summer I wonder?

• Like 1

Posted

Looking at the GEFS 00z mean, the Easter weekend shows an improving picture following an unsettled start as high pressure slowly builds in and temperatures don't look too bad, feeling pleasant in the sunshine but chilly nights. Further ahead, high pressure generally dominates but eventually pulls further west with hints of a Northerly later in April.

21_90_500mb.png

21_90_2mtmpmax.png

21_114_500mb.png

21_114_2mtmpmax.png

21_138_500mb.png

21_138_2mtmpmax.png

21_162_500mb.png

21_162_2mtmpmax.png

21_186_500mb.png

21_186_2mtmpmax.png

21_210_500mb.png

21_210_2mtmpmax.png

21_234_500mb.png

21_300_500mb.png

21_324_500mb.png

21_342_500mb.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted

Those of us looking for a return of the glorious Sun kissed weekend just gone are likely to be disappointed with the Gfs 6z which for most of the time looks rather cool / cold and unsettled, especially for the north and east, the s / w faring slightly better at times. 

Exeter is saying colder than average conditions to dominate the outlook until the end of April, especially for the n / e with wintry showers and night frosts at times which suggests Northerly incursions..however, still feeling pleasant in sunny spells. The s / w occasionally faring better due to higher pressure nudging in, similar to what the Gefs 00z mean shows.

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 2

Posted

The Gem 12z shows a window of fine weather across southern uk on Easter day and Monday but thereafter it really goes downhill, becoming very unsettled and cooler during next week with strong winds at times.

GEMOPEU12_120_1.png

GEMOPEU12_144_1.png

GEMOPEU12_168_1.png

GEMOPEU12_192_1.png

GEMOPEU12_216_1.png

GEMOPEU12_240_1.png

• Like 2

Posted

The Gfs 12z follows a similar route to the Gem as I described above but then changes course and becomes more anticyclonic during low res with pleasant spells of sunshine and lighter winds before ending unsettled and much cooler with snow on scottish hills and mountains. 

12_288_mslp500.png

12_312_mslp500.png

12_336_mslp500.png

12_336_uk2mtmp.png

12_360_mslp500.png

12_384_preciptype.png

12_384_mslp500.png

Edited by Frosty.