Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 08/03/17

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Where did next weeks warm spell go?:cc_confused: The Ecm 00z for example looks much cooler than last evenings 12z.

• Like 2

Posted

The ecm has the front approaching Cornwall Sunday morning and slowly tracking north east in the next 24 hours petering out as it goes. Probably the main section of the rain moving east over France.

Then comes the pattern change and it too is centering the high cell to the north with the easterly component. But just to complicate matters it swings the high/trough on it's axis so ending with HP to the NW and LP to the SW. So certainly a dry scenario with temps around average but the door is ajar to various possibilities as we lose the Canadian lobe.

ecm_mslp_uv850_natl_9.thumb.png.78a90e79d13ed834af6684cc0c324db6.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted

I think it's best not to have knee jerk reactions to the 00z output as a day is a long time in model watching and the 12z could be a different story. Today's MO update will be interesting as to whether it sticks with the summery outlook or not..I hope we see a warm / very warm early-mid May.:)

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Frosty. said:

Where did next weeks warm spell go?:cc_confused: The Ecm 00z for example looks much cooler than last evenings 12z.

It was 168hrs and beyond mate.Trust nothing beyond 120 would be my advise,  we may have seen a couple of cool outlier solutions but i wouldnt be suprised if we end up with huge Northern blocking at the ecm/ gfs ops suggest..

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow
2 hours ago, Frosty. said:

1 hour ago, Frosty. said:

I think it's best not to have knee jerk reactions to the 00z output as a day is a long time in model watching and the 12z could be a different story. Today's MO update will be interesting as to whether it sticks with the summery outlook or not..I hope we see a warm / very warm early-mid May.:)

Yeah Frosty, best to not have any knee jerk reactions........:)

• Like 2

Posted

Morning all :)

As I've said in my In Depth analysis (shameless plug), there's a good deal of agreement across models this morning.

As I said yesterday, the source of the air flow would be crucial and the idea of an E'ly or SE'ly sourced from warmer regions has been diluted somewhat in favour of a more ENE'ly flow from west Russia which will obviously be cooler.

There are more differences in the orientation and position of the trough than the heights which look remarkably similar into next week.

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, DR(S)NO said:

Yeah Frosty, best to not have any knee jerk reactions........:)

HAHA yes but I'm not writing it off, just saying the 00z looks cooler than yesterday's runs regarding next week.:D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

HAHA yes but I'm not writing it off, just saying the 00z looks cooler than yesterday's runs regarding next week.:D

Indeed. But, if you live in either NE England or E Scotland, 'haar haar' might be an apter response. However, that said, don't 'fret' it!:D :oops:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 4

Posted
Just now, Ed Stone said:

Indeed. But, if you live in either NE & or E Scotland, 'haar haar' might be an apter response. However, that said, don't 'fret' it!:D 

Very witty Pete:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Slight differences in jet stream orientation in the N. Atlantic having big impacts on the location and movement with time of the big ridge next week.

This is an occasion where we could do with a little of the northern jet steam arm remaining in place to keep lower heights between Greenland and Iceland and so allow the ridge across the UK to remain largely independent of the blocking highs across the Arctic.

This year is displaying a propensity for extensive high-latitude blocking which would be if some concern for the summer season except that it's still only April and a big shake-up is fairly common by late May to set the stage for June and much or all of July.

The other day I mentioned some similarities in the overall global picture to 2007 - this was not the same as saying that the summer will be extremely wet as some inferred; rather that there is an increased chance of an unusually wet outcome. Research since that summer has identified unusual Indonesian rainfall patterns as a key contributing factor to what could otherwise have been a reasonable summer with plenty of warmth on offer. Hopefully we'll avoid that this year. Another big question is whether Arctic blocking continues or not, and in what configuration. I have yet to find convincing evidence either way with respect to whether low Arctic sea ice extent or area encourages such blocking; the low-ice summer of 2012 was very blocked for example, but 2016 was not. There is a tricky-to-resolve interplay between altered jet stream patterns and increased heat and moisture availability to low pressure systems.

Given the Arctic blocking being modelled for May 2017, it sure does appear likely that low sea ice extent and/or area will be a present factor for the summer, and quite likely record low. Fascinating times ahead - if a bit worrying from a broader climate perspective.

• Like 2

Posted

Significant points with the EPS this morning

• Weakening of the Canadian lobe as the high pressure builds adjacent to the UK and surges north west. Thus cutting off the energy feed into the Atlantic.:shok:

• Simultaneously intensifying the Russian arm and tracking it west.

• Thus with the surface high cell over Iceland by day ten and the low pressure WSW of Ireland around 25W an easterly component over the UK veering south east over the eastern Atlantic.

• Ergo weather continuing dry but temps hovering around the average

• Moving into the 10-15 period the pattern continues to develop with high pressure in the southern Greenland area and the cut off low pressure way to south with the Atlantic becoming very much an inactive zone. The key here may well be the trough to the east edging ever closer which may just put the UK back into a cooler northerly.

• Still much to be resolved and the next two or three days should be quite interesting

ecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.thumb.png.cd63e341425562ea065dff9472286b31.pngecm_eps_z500a_nh_11.thumb.png.8ae9edb95e06131d64128f2239709250.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted

A cool breezy and cloudy Gfs 6z next week with even some rain around, high pressure gets sucked NW and the run ends with another chilly Northerly as a result of retrogression.

06_384_mslp850.png

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

A cool breezy and cloudy Gfs 6z next week with even some rain around, high pressure gets sucked NW and the run ends with another chilly Northerly as a result of retrogression.

06_384_mslp850.png

Aye a dreadful 6z with temps really struggling, still time for a switch back karl but lets face it, for our grotty climate what can go wrong will go wrong..

• Like 3

Posted
18 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

karl but lets face it, for our grotty climate what can go wrong will go wrong..

Aye, not just in winter.

Whilst the runs so far today have been a disappointment in comparison to yesterday..The latest update from Exeter is only delaying the good weather by an extra day or two with a significant improvement from later next week with high pressure, increasing amounts of sunshine and warmth which continues into the extended outlook too.

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Andover said:

That Jay Wynne will have some egg on his face after his forecast was last night, looks a good deal cooler for next week going by what I've seen this morning.

Didn't see the forecast so i assume he was forecasting a very warm week next week which is absolutely crazy with even the UKMO runs never going for it and many other runs the day before showing cooler easterlies. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Frosty. said:

Sorry frosty but a warm spell for next week has never had any consistent model output, models have swung back and forth between cooler easterlies and warm southeasterlies for days, i keep a close eye on GFS ensembles and even when OP's were showing the possibility of mid 20's C a decent number of ensemble runs didn't, there has just never been any conclusive evidence of a very warm spell next week, i feel too many posters get carried away with warmth and let it cloud their judgement.

Edited by Eugene
  • Like 2

Posted
50 minutes ago, Eugene said:

i feel too many posters get carried away with warmth and let it cloud their judgement.

I don't think that's true, even the met office updates in the last few days have been painting a summery picture through the first half of May and still is.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

MO have been promising summery warmth for the early part of May for some time now. Even ensembles is showing dryer and above average temps following Bank holidays washout. I think more runs are needed for next week.

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Eugene said:

Didn't see the forecast so i assume he was forecasting a very warm week next week which is absolutely crazy with even the UKMO runs never going for it and many other runs the day before showing cooler easterlies. 

They also have access to a lot more data than we do, so I don't think you can call it 'absolutely crazy'. I still think that locally it could get warm midweek, particularly further west.

• Like 2

Posted

In any case, it's looking like it will be a good deal warmer than this week, except perhaps on North Sea coasts. Although the runs have been a bit disappointing after what we had the other night, it is going to be a big improvement on this week temperature-wise for most.

• Like 1

Posted

The Gfs 12z looks a lot clearer and sunnier than the 6z next week and becoming pleasantly warm, especially sheltered from the occasionally fresh to strong Easterly breeze..so..an anticyclonic spell looks to be on the way after BH Monday.

12_147_mslp500.png

12_147_uk2mtmp.png

12_171_mslp500.png

12_171_uk2mtmp.png

12_195_mslp500.png

12_195_ukcloud.png

12_195_windvector_gust.png

12_195_windvector.png

12_219_mslp500.png

12_219_uk2mtmp.png

12_219_ukcloud.png

12_240_mslp500.png

12_240_ukcloud.png

12_240_uk2mtmp.png

12_264_mslp500.png

12_264_uk2mtmp.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 5

Could be alot of cloud cover left over from an atlantic frontal system from the southwest next tuesday/wednesday leaving miserable dank conditions, a freshening easterly breeze should start to clear it by thursday, max temps near average for early May (15C) .

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
3 minutes ago, Eugene said:

Could be alot of cloud cover left over from an atlantic frontal system from the southwest next tuesday/wednesday leaving miserable dank conditions, a freshening easterly breeze should start to clear it by thursday, max temps near average for early May (15C) .

Maybe but as that wind strengthens there's going to be alot of cloud coming into eastern counties and it will not feel warm at all in that wind, something the east as suffered from throughout the last few years on and off.