Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 08/03/17

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Dream charts............for January!:wallbash:

gfs-0-72.png

gfs-0-192.png

gfs-0-210.png

gfs-0-240.png

gfs-0-276.png

gfs-0-336.png

• Like 3

Posted

It will be interesting to see how the EPS evolution plays out post the brief hiatus this week that has sent the pulses racing.  In the 6-10 range it brings the the Atlantic trough rapidly into play removing the amplified meridional pattern and introducing a more zonal flow. But, and certainly not without interest it intensifies the east European ridge and extends it NW north of Scandinavia which has the knock on effect of retrogressing and deconstructing the Atlantic trough. This results in a fairly slack W/WSW airflow over the UK.

Moving into the later period the trough continues to deconstruct creating a shallow low pressure area to the south west and with pressure rises to the north east the UK is very much plunged into a slack pressure area with a southerly drift that would bode well for  temps above average.

ecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.thumb.png.80f28a03514ee10c3ec34fca6aa38447.pngecm_eps_z500a_nh_11.thumb.png.1d5eb963df4994b480748a55a4e55953.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Suffice it to say that, after upcoming cold snap, summer will, just like Tigger, bounce back!:D

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
25 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

summer will, just like Tigger, bounce back!:D

You could be right Ed, there is talk of May being a month dominated by high pressure with a chance of it becoming very warm during the second half.:)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, snowray said:

Dream charts............for January!:wallbash:

gfs-0-72.png

gfs-0-192.png

gfs-0-210.png

gfs-0-240.png

gfs-0-276.png

gfs-0-336.png

True, but those last few are not far off a warm cyclonic setup with southeasterly like last May I.e. good thunder potential and much needed rainfall from more continental style conditions.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, MP-R said:

True, but those last few are not far off a warm cyclonic setup with southeasterly like last May I.e. good thunder potential and much needed rainfall from more continental style conditions.

Also not far off a pattern like May 1996.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
29 minutes ago, Eugene said:

Also not far off a pattern like May 1996.

True, although unlikely. A half way house would be interesting with the south getting warmer influence from the southeast and the north in a cool northeasterly. Lots of options on the table.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

BBC really watering down the northerly for the south. 13c by day, just cold in the shade. It looked potent from the models....oh well, I guess the sun is just too strong this time of year.

Posted
26 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

BBC really watering down the northerly for the south. 13c by day, just cold in the shade. It looked potent from the models....oh well, I guess the sun is just too strong this time of year.

That's strange, the outlook from Exeter is becoming much colder with blustery wintry showers and night frosts..13c sounds a bit optimistic to me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds
9 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

That's strange, the outlook from Exeter is becoming much colder with blustery wintry showers and night frosts..13c sounds a bit optimistic to me.

13 is for London, majority of places will around 8/9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

Yes temps still make it into double figures for the south (only just) but feeling colder with the wind some big storm clouds building early next week too - Thursday onwards milder air returns to all

Going to Tenby, SW Wales camping for a few days, really hope and pray those big downpours and thunderstorms that's showing up on the forecasts and charts miss us as it'll bad enough trying to keep warm in our tent let alone trying to stop everything getting damp! 

Latest GFS still indicates a fair amount of cape in the area on Tues but shows much less now on Weds. 

Edited by DJ RY

Posted
2 hours ago, lassie23 said:

Sod that. It's nearly May. Winter is past, time for warmth.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
7 minutes ago, Bogman said:

Sod that. It's nearly May. Winter is past, time for warmth.

I think May will be dominated by high pressure.

Posted

UKMO shows a northerly for Tuesday with the colder air and strong sunshine temps will range from around 6c in Scotland to around 12c in parts of this south the combination of the colder air and sunshine will also build some big storm clouds any snow looks unlikely away from northern hills

UKMOPEU12_72_1.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
2 hours ago, lassie23 said:

Northerly....what northerly?

I always said that this northerly would get watered down like the rest of them lassie, a cold blast on Monday night into Tuesday yes, then practically all over. I doubt there will even be much of a frost in the south anyway.

Lets look forward to summer aye.:)

• Like 1

Posted

The Gfs 12z through low res looks much better with high pressure and warmer temps, even some plume potential too with temps into the 20's celsius at times..becomes blocked:)

12_312_mslp850.png

12_312_uk2mtmp.png

12_360_mslp500.png

12_384_mslp500.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted

It's starting to look like a blink or miss it cool snap now, by midweek the colder air supply is cut off and thereafter temperatures start to recover.

UKMOPEU12_96_1.png

UKMOPEU12_144_1.png

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

It's starting to look like a blink or miss it cool snap now, by midweek the colder air supply is cut off and thereafter temperatures start to recover.

Did not see that coming. Really shocked at that.

• Like 4

Posted
14 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

UKMOPEU12_96_1.png

UKMOPEU12_144_1.png

This happens every time Karl, every run under the T120 timeframe shortens cold spells by small steps, the intensity of the cold is toned down more and more......and then its GONE, or almost gone like this time.

Maybe thats why we never saw SM posting who would have taken some interest surely, seen it all before.:whistling:

• Like 2

Posted

Looking into May, the GEFS 12z mean shows a pattern change to much more benign pleasantly warm anticyclonic conditions..as did the 6z mean..so, could be a largely blocked and nice last month of spring.:)

21_240_500mb.png

21_288_500mb.png

21_312_500mb.png

21_336_500mb.png

21_360_500mb.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

Posted

I find the quite impressive part of this evening's gfs is the speed it cuts off the Atlantic around the T200 mark. it drops the deep trough spawned in N.Canada into mid Atlantic and rapidly intensifies the east European ridge in conjunction with Azores which disintegrates the trough to our east to set up a surface high cell over Scandinavia.Which of course places much of the UK into an easterly flow.

gfs_z500a_nh_38.thumb.png.837b3013213acbf0704bb77f7bab4270.pnggfs_ptype_slp_eur3_39.thumb.png.054a4ea1e5ddbafb5656ece7f9d123e7.png

Not unsupported by the GEFS but I would not expect this evolution to remain unchanged over the next few runs.

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_55.thumb.png.ea9a811a0f3a5e768711dbbeaa4c6df4.png

Sidney was quite phlegmatic when I mentioned the short lived northerly.

sid.thumb.jpg.b8903b009fc11c792442a3a4d2af832a.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
13 minutes ago, snowray said:

This happens every time Karl, every run under the T120 timeframe shortens cold spells by small steps, the intensity of the cold is toned down more and more......and then its GONE, or almost gone like this time.

Maybe thats why we never saw SM posting who would have taken some interest surely, seen it all before.:whistling:

Lol yep, never even saw him lurking..a bad sign:laugh:..anyhoo, longer term signals are more promising with warmer temps and higher pressure during May.

• Like 1

Posted

I think it's also important to point out that next week the UV levels will widely be 4 or 5 maybe even 6 on Tuesday around Exeter so if you're exposed to the sunshine for any lengthy period sun cream could still be needed

Monday to Thursday left to right

monday.thumb.png.ac60cb7e19121892db0718239c3df2ec.pngtuesday.thumb.png.19a1212a594e0cdc4d2835fa6a7398b8.pngwednesday.thumb.png.faa88200d865795b9d39e7b09f30a4fb.pngthursday.thumb.png.e35d84d41f89536ded108f5463b7d540.png

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

I think it's also important to point out that next week the UV levels will widely be 4 or 5 maybe even 6 on Tuesday around Exeter so if you're exposed to the sunshine for any lengthy period sun cream could still be needed

Monday to Thursday left to right

monday.thumb.png.ac60cb7e19121892db0718239c3df2ec.pngtuesday.thumb.png.19a1212a594e0cdc4d2835fa6a7398b8.pngwednesday.thumb.png.faa88200d865795b9d39e7b09f30a4fb.pngthursday.thumb.png.e35d84d41f89536ded108f5463b7d540.png

Yes its amusing isn't it, we may catch a wintry shower and also get Sun burn.:crazy::laugh:

• Like 4