Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 08/03/17

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Well good agreement between ECM and UKMO at T144 which as we know is a very strong combo to have. GFS showing something similar to this about a day later so strong indications still that April may end quite cool:

ECM1-144.thumb.GIF.1b0cefe39080db3eb3d2bc5058fff86b.GIFUW144-21.thumb.GIF.94361b546e9cc6e1a52bf5340577a56b.GIF

Having a look at the GFS ensembles from the 12z shows pressure dropping as we head towards the last week of the month with the mean coming down to around 1010mb. Lowest its been for a long time, so although it may not be nice, we do have to admit that southern areas especialy need the rain! You can see the precipitation graph responding to the drop in pressure accordingly around the 25th, this for London:

prmslLondon.thumb.png.19be93f30245c3c2d09ebef03f838d9c.pngprcpLondon.thumb.png.ce050a989e1b3d1ca36e92aae26ad649.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

I can't see this having any affect down south, 11c by day maybe a zero at night.

Edited by lassie23

1 minute ago, Eugene said:

Wow my heating hasn't come on for a long time, it's hardly been that cold has it with temps mainly in double figures by day and no harsh frosts for over a month.

we have had some harsh frosts here in the peak district and doubles figures on a few days but nothing of any note apart from the other weekend when it was warm my heatings been on since October. I would add the wife has health issues and feels the cold..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
1 hour ago, Eugene said:

Wow my heating hasn't come on for a long time, it's hardly been that cold has it with temps mainly in double figures by day and no harsh frosts for over a month.

My last Air Frost was, in fact, 10th February, Eugene. So we did have front-loaded winter when it came to frosts but certainly not the magical white stuff. That never arrived apart from a few flakes, so I guess it'll probably arrive when few would want to see it. The irony of our changed climate. 

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

I can't see the this having any affect down south, 11c by day maybe a zero at night.

-4c in prone spots tonight, so I take it you're speaking from an urban context there. Certainly some impressive diurnal ranges might be in the offing when the flow backs to the South, eventually.

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, gottolovethisweather said:

-4c in prone spots tonight, so I take it you're speaking from an urban context there. Certainly some impressive diurnal ranges might be in the offing when the flow backs to the South, eventually.

Yes i meant London, I can see the home counties getting pretty cold though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
4 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Yes i meant London, I can see the home counties getting pretty cold though

Central London rarely gets very cold though lassie, even in colder winter weather temps generally hold up pretty well. Although just north of London is entirely a different matter, in fact even Hampstead Heath could still get some snow I would think if next weeks charts were to verify, is that near you?

Posted
20 minutes ago, snowray said:

Central London rarely gets very cold though lassie, even in colder winter weather temps generally hold up pretty well. Although just north of London is entirely a different matter, in fact even Hampstead Heath could still get some snow I would think if next weeks charts were to verify, is that near you?

NW London, so not far from me. I think the northerly showing in the models would actually produce more active weather in April here, than in December.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

So this is the situation predicted by the ECM in six days time:

image.thumb.gif.8a145345cc3bb58c0a92b5aa778daa59.gif   image.thumb.gif.52031b31627d7a01d8f4782fa3df9215.gif

and GFS agrees:

image.thumb.png.89bf120c9c0c10e1a56e789f067531f9.png   image.thumb.png.9573516f435bd8d0ae455d8856c655dc.png

Wintry looking charts or what!   This would bring colder than average conditions for most, perhaps lasting until the end of the month, but snow would surely be unlikely away from the highest ground?  Some low lying areas will no doubt continue to see some overnight frost, but hopefully the last of the season.  We have avoided any frost locally over the last couple of days so I'm hoping we might get through the Spring now without any more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

-10c uppers getting into northern Scotland on the 06z. -12c's not far away.:cold:

gfs-0-162.png

gfs-1-162.png

Posted

Widespread snow showers effecting even the South West.

gfs-2-168.png

gfs-2-174.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, snowray said:

gfs-2-168.png

gfs-2-174.png

Even if it doesn't snow convection might still be spectacular?

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I would think so.:)

Look at this little feature moving down from the north sea, now that would produce lots of rain, sleet and certainly snow in the north, particularly in Scotland. Even the SE gets a bit of the white stuff before it moves away south.

gfs-0-198.png

gfs-1-198.png

gfs-2-198.png

gfs-2-204.png

gfs-2-210.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
9 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Yes! Very much the case on April 26th-27th last year. Snow wasn't brilliant but gorgeous cbs all around and thunder. For the south I reckon it'll be hard to achieve proper snowfall from the charts shown but some good old April showers most certainly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
15 minutes ago, snowray said:

gfs-2-168.png

gfs-2-174.png

Snow accumulation charts for that timeframe

168-780UK.GIF?19-6174-780UK.GIF?19-6

• Like 1

Posted

The cold spell that I posted about occurring post Easter rather than the Easter period itself really seems to be gaining momentum now. Large temperature drops in heavy convective wintry showers likely almost anywhere I would imagine and if the 06z gfs is on the money (that's a big if) then perhaps a more prolonged period of sleet and wet snow working its way down the country.

Edited by comet
  • Like 1

Posted

April 2016 left and April 2017 right at t168

ECM1-168.GIF?00ECM1-168.GIF?19-12

ECM0-168.GIF?00ECM0-168.GIF?19-12

Looking like we'll see a northerly around the same time 2 years running

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

Hello everyone i back I thought I would come out of my  hibernation in November but not mid April so looks like turning much colder with frost ice and sleety snow hail showers...:cold:

IMG_0606.GIF

• Like 4

Posted

GEM has the high a bit further east on this run which will restrict any showers to the east coast mainly

gem-0-126.png?12

00z

gem-0-138.png?00

UKMO has other ideas though - if only charts like this arrived in winter when they could be of more use

UKMOPEU12_144_1.thumb.png.847eef8a31d715cb79b94b99d57bff7d.png

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 4