Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 08/03/17

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Here comes the High..The Gfs 12z is looking very good next week..high pressure becoming centred over the uk and intensifying through next week..pleasantly warm days with sunny spells and light winds but chilly nights with a touch of frost.

12_123_mslp500.png

12_147_mslp500.png

12_171_mslp500.png

12_195_mslp500.png

12_216_mslp500.png

12_216_ukcloud.png

12_240_mslp500.png

12_240_ukcloud.png

12_264_uk2mtmp.png

12_264_mslp500.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, johnholmes said:

A glass half full view as all your posts seem to be, not sure why?

It is always a bit hard to work out when UK Met say the NW just where that ends. Perhaps it would help IF they said Scotland and parts of NW England to avoid ambiguity? Bu then they probably have a limit on how many words are allowed.

Predicting rainfall more than 24 hours ahead, other than an overall idea of will it be dry or not, is often fraught with difficulty. It is something, for whatever reason, that appears not to improve in accuracy whilst the overall isobar pattersn are now generally more accurate at similar times intervals than they were 10 years ago.

John the state of the glass has nothing to do with my post. My post reflects what the actual chart shows if people want a glossy opticast then that's fine but for people wishing to discuss what the model shows then this is what this thread is for.

To my untrained the charts shows a westerly flow with the high centred West of Ireland. The flow is bringing moisture and cloud around the top of the high as highlighted by the precipitation which is encroaching into Wales and North West england..... Not just the far north west as summarised by summer sun.

I think we all know what can and can't be forecast at these time frames I am not sure why people need to highlight it at every opportunity.

If this thread is basically an ignore everything that doesn't show sunny weather then fine at least I know that now.

Edited by frosty ground
  • Like 4

Posted

I suppose the glossy optocast is aimed at me..but all I do is describe what the charts are showing which is the whole point of model output discussion is it not?:D

Its turning into a very good spring with lots of high pressure and warmth..and I'm happy the charts are looking so good for next week.

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted
27 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

I suppose the glossy optocast is aimed at me..but all I do is describe what the charts are showing which is the whole point of model output discussion is it not?:D

Its turning into a very good spring with lots of high pressure and warmth..and I'm happy the charts are looking so good for next week.

No frosty my post was aimed at the chart posted. 

As you have said you are only interested in charts that show sunny weather and not showing the full picture my post would be wasted on you.

This is the first real 'spell' of useable weather and my garden is still to wet to work on. 

• Like 2

Posted

That is a brilliant run from the GFS this evening if it's spring sunshine you're after- shades of March 2012 in those charts from Wednesday onwards- outside the reliable time frame yes, but all the models agree on a build of high pressure from Sunday- the question is, how will the high position itself and how long will it last.  850 hPa temperatures are nothing spectacular but they look good enough with the strengthening sun now.

• Like 4

Posted

We are still on for 20-21c on thursday across part of the s / se including east anglia as very warm and humid continental air wafts north into the uk.

48_mslp850.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Well just for laughs , gfs shows Winter starting on Thursday April 13th  on the outside of its output:rofl::rofl::cold:

gfs.png

post-3489-0-21491500-1444059784_thumb.gif

snowx.gif

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Well just for laughs , gfs shows Winter starting on Thursday April 13th  on the outside of its output:rofl::rofl::cold:

gfs.png

post-3489-0-21491500-1444059784_thumb.gif

snowx.gif

What about the rest of the run? You should work for one of the tabloids!

• Like 4

Posted

After an April showers start on saturday, the Ecm 12z looks better and better as high pressure builds in next week and really dominates nationwide with plenty of power to add beyond T+240.. becoming settled, warm and sunny but probably chilly at night with a touch of frost and patchy fog.

96_mslp500.png

120_mslp500.png

144_mslp500.png

168_mslp500.png

192_mslp500.png

216_mslp500.png

216_mslp850uk.png

240_mslp500.png

240_mslp850uk.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 5

Posted

Following a more unsettled spell and a showery and cooler start to April, tonight's Ecm 12z ensemble mean shows high pressure will muscle its way into a position of dominance next week as the 12z operational showed earlier with the uk weather, especially the southern half becoming warmer and settled with light winds, variable amounts of cloud and spells of sunshine but nights probably chilly with a risk of slight frosts and patchy fog where skies clear.

ECMAVGEU12_96_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_120_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_144_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_168_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_192_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_216_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_240_1.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted

The GEFS 12z mean is also looking increasingly settled from sunday..next week is looking good if you like fine weather.

21_96_500mb.png

21_120_500mb.png

21_144_500mb.png

21_168_500mb.png

21_192_500mb.png

21_216_500mb.png

21_240_500mb.png

21_264_500mb.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

wary of this though, April 4, GFS models it at night, too good to be true maybe? if GFS right, then I agree with Frosty, fine decent week

ukprec.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The beebs thought's last night for it to stay dry most of next week away from the northwest look doubtful this morning if UKMO is right after a settled Sunday and Monday pressure falls by Tuesday

UKMOPEU00_96_1.thumb.png.290fe9af66bc3005efae3302bd3f6d91.pngUKMOPEU00_120_1.thumb.png.606f2c509d0b7192c96965fb13a3cb64.pngUKMOPEU00_144_1.thumb.png.c114d457a74cff2a0560cacd59d39f21.png

If ECM 00z is right then it would stay dry

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted

Yes the Ecm 00z becomes largely fine under high pressure next week and warmer again..plenty more warm weather to come this week too.

120_mslp500.png

144_mslp500.png

168_mslp500.png

192_mslp500.png

216_mslp850uk.png

216_mslp500.png

240_mslp500.png

240_mslp850uk.png

00_42_uk2mtmp.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

Posted

Tomorrow will feel like summer across the s / se with 22c 72f a possibility, very warm and humid with a continental southerly flow..hopefully a taste of what's to come during the coming months..lovely stuff.

C8ETdTxXkAEkjyA.jpg

48_mslp850uk.png

48_mslp850.png

• Like 5

Posted

With Easter coming within range time for a look at the recent NOAA, GEFS and EPS anomalies

A few days of high pressure being the main influence over the UK starting next week has been indicated for a while now and continues to be the case. All three have the main vortex lobe Russia with associated trough and the weaker secondary Canada/Greenland/western Atlantic whilst the Azores ridges over the UK. So everything hunky dory so far as this portends a few days of dry, pleasant weather for all with temps generally above average but these are difficult. if not impossible, to pin down at this stage as there are liable to be quit big geographical and diurnal variations.

ecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.thumb.png.18ea1cb6c5d2d7adfe58dba720141d31.pnggefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.thumb.png.0de60bfa69737c316150f2f07d60b575.png610day_03.thumb.gif.2745eb06e9b46e334675746b1bd7218f.gif

But the big question is how long will the HP influence last? I haven't noticed any great agreement on the evolution so far and this remains the case although there are indeed signs the the HP will weaken and move east to be replaced by a more zonal regime pretty quickly into this period. Having said that NOAA is in no rush to remove the HP, certainly from the south. which is in contrast to the EPS which has a trough in the vicinity of the UK leading up to the Easter weekend with temps dipping below average At the moment the percentage play would appear to be becoming more unsettled, particularly in the north, with temps around average.

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_61.thumb.png.629de35e95d4b1e3eb4d8307a6ac9a23.png814day_03.thumb.gif.9d7aa0b39527ff10c7af4537584c066c.gif

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted
16 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Tomorrow will feel like summer across the s / se with 22c 72f a possibility, very warm and humid with a continental southerly flow..hopefully a taste of what's to come during the coming months..lovely stuff.

C8ETdTxXkAEkjyA.jpg

48_mslp850uk.png

48_mslp850.png

Probably thick cloud and patchy rain and drizzle in many areas worth a mention as well. Just for balance.

PPVG89.thumb.gif.a34bcd5f049f4d2b6749f3d80c155512.giftotalcloud_d02_38.thumb.png.51f329e63f037a53f77ff609dede6b82.png

• Like 3

Posted
56 minutes ago, knocker said:

Probably thick cloud and patchy rain and drizzle in many areas worth a mention as well. Just for balance.

PPVG89.thumb.gif.a34bcd5f049f4d2b6749f3d80c155512.giftotalcloud_d02_38.thumb.png.51f329e63f037a53f77ff609dede6b82.png

And just for balance, plenty of dry weather with some sunny spells across the s / se in particular which will really boost the temperatures into the low 70's F:shok:. :-)

Tomorrow looks like being the warmest day of the year so far..and it will be somewhere across the southeast / east anglia..I will be very surprised if 70 F isn't reached in favoured spots tomorrow.

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything exciting.

This current spell makes up for the non event of winter lovely. 

• Like 2

Posted

Interesting Gfs 6z low res which shows winter isn't finished with us yet as it shows quite a lot of snow across northern hills with frost / ice additional hazards together with a lot of rain and wind too..would be quite a shock following the spell of high pressure and pleasant temps next week.

06_288_preciptype.png

06_336_preciptype.png

06_360_preciptype.png

06_360_uk2mtmpmin.png

06_288_mslp500.png

06_336_mslp500.png

06_360_mslp500.png

06_384_mslp500.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
2 hours ago, Frosty. said:

And just for balance, plenty of dry weather with some sunny spells across the s / se in particular which will really boost the temperatures into the low 70's F:shok:. :-)

Tomorrow looks like being the warmest day of the year so far..and it will be somewhere across the southeast / east anglia..I will be very surprised if 70 F isn't reached in favoured spots tomorrow.

different model outputs are showing different outcomes just to add to the confusion....lol....NWx hi-res shows sunshine tomorrow at a premium with generally cloudy skies in a humid southerly flow, but where/if the cloud breaks it will feel very warm indeed for the time of year so I'll keep my fingers crossed.....For my neck of the woods in the very short term there is also the low possiblity of elevated thunderstorms overnight due to a narrow lobe of high theta-e airmass which might possibly destabilise (see convective thread for further info)

Edited by ajpoolshark
  • Like 3

Posted
17 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

different model outputs are showing different outcomes just to add to the confusion....lol....NWx hi-res shows sunshine tomorrow at a premium with generally cloudy skies in a humid southerly flow, but where/if the cloud breaks it will feel very warm indeed for the time of year so I'll keep my fingers crossed.....For my neck of the woods in the very short term there is also the low possibly of elevated thunderstorms overnight due to a narrow lobe of high theta-e airmass which might possibly destabilise (see convective thread for further info)

Fully agree aj..and a fascinating Gfs 6z.:)

Goes from one extreme to the other with everything in between.

Edited by Frosty.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow
26 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Interesting Gfs 6z low res which shows winter isn't finished with us yet as it shows quite a lot of snow across northern hills with frost / ice additional hazards together with a lot of rain and wind too..would be quite a shock following the spell of high pressure and pleasant temps next week.

06_288_preciptype.png

06_336_preciptype.png

06_360_preciptype.png

06_360_uk2mtmpmin.png

06_288_mslp500.png

06_336_mslp500.png

06_360_mslp500.png

06_384_mslp500.png

Gosh Frosty, could end up being a rather chilly Easter then.

Could it be one of those years that shows a colder Easter than Xmas?:cold:

• Like 4