Sign in to follow this  
cheeky_monkey

Recommended Tablets

Hi All

My iPad 4 which i purchased just over 4 years ago and has served me well...is just about to give up the ghost so it needs replacing...i could get another iPad either the Air 2 or Pro or wait for the new iPad which will come out sometime soon. or is there a good alternative that anyone could recommend like a Samsung or the google pixel etc..

On 07/03/2017 at 19:01, cheeky_monkey said:

Hi All

My iPad 4 which i purchased just over 4 years ago and has served me well...is just about to give up the ghost so it needs replacing...i could get another iPad either the Air 2 or Pro or wait for the new iPad which will come out sometime soon. or is there a good alternative that anyone could recommend like a Samsung or the google pixel etc..

My iPad Air 2 is ok. Hasn't so far given me a problem. Has the advantage of being the devil you know and happily syncs with my iPhone. 

Bearing mind a new iPad is due to land over coming months I would be inclined to wait and see. Chances are the Air 2 will drop in price a bit.   Having said that if you wait for the ultimate you might not ever buy anything. 

Posted (edited)

My wife has just got a Samsung Tab s2 8in , very impressive screen, thin light and powerful. 9.7 has same internals just bigger. She swapped from an iPad as she was fed up with the iPad limitations (cant share media with other devices via bluetooth for example). It also takes a microSD card so storage can easily be expanded, her iPad had run out of space. Only problem is if you have an investment in iTunes content. Music was easy to sort, movies are more difficult.

I have a much older Sony Xperia Z tablet which has served me well, and is waterproof, but Sony are more expensive.

If you do go for a Samsung make sure you get the latest model, they did a 'secret upgrade' last year, and improved the processor. In the UK some retailers are selling off the older ones. You can tell the latest one as it is Android 6 out of the box, the older ones are 5. (They can be upgraded to 6 but that isnt the point)

Edited by mike57
Added some more info

On 3/18/2017 at 13:46, mike57 said:

My wife has just got a Samsung Tab s2 8in , very impressive screen, thin light and powerful. 9.7 has same internals just bigger. She swapped from an iPad as she was fed up with the iPad limitations (cant share media with other devices via bluetooth for example). It also takes a microSD card so storage can easily be expanded, her iPad had run out of space. Only problem is if you have an investment in iTunes content. Music was easy to sort, movies are more difficult.

I have a much older Sony Xperia Z tablet which has served me well, and is waterproof, but Sony are more expensive.

If you do go for a Samsung make sure you get the latest model, they did a 'secret upgrade' last year, and improved the processor. In the UK some retailers are selling off the older ones. You can tell the latest one as it is Android 6 out of the box, the older ones are 5. (They can be upgraded to 6 but that isnt the point)

They have just brought out the S3 however its disappointingly the same price as an Ipad pro..but rich for my liking..S2 is $200 cheaper but its a 2015 tablet so will quickly become obsolete in 12-24 months