Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 27th Feb onwards

Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Jury seems to be out on the significance of a mackerel sky...beautiful one appeared over Hempstead Valley (Kent) in the past 10 minutes :D

IMG_1101.JPG

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
28 minutes ago, Harry said:

I'm falling increasingly of the view that I should stay home tonight rather than the coast. Just done a sweep of most of the main models and there is a LOT of divergence (albeit only over 50 miles or so lol). Does seem the best overlap of instability and precip outbreak is where I live, whereas the Kent coast boasts highest instability but seemingly lower prospect of storms breaking out.

Will have to make my decision in the next couple of hours :sorry:

I'm staying home as 1. I have a huge vitamin deficiency issue at the moment which means I have hardly any energy right now and 2. If the forecast is accurate there is a strong possibility the storms will head straight for us. :) Fingers crossed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Driving back from Reading to Bristol between 15.30 and 17.30 so could get interesting as I head west.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
51 minutes ago, Stormhog said:

Hi all, not been on a severe weather forum for many years, newbie here. 

I'm a very keen photographer of all things weather related, mainly, of course, thunderstorms. 

Based in Hailsham, E Sussex, cameras charged and looking forward to a good show tonight from my favourite lookout point at Pevensey Bay (not so crowded with cars there)

Welcome friend to the best forum on the net. :D Buckle up as if things go according to plan, tonight looks like a real cracker! :yahoo:

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
44 minutes ago, TJS1998Tom said:

Does anyone know how it looks for North York Moors tonight? I'm guessing just heavy rain?

It looks like we may be too far North today after yesterdays near miss, but I will be keeping an eye on the radar tonight. Fingers crossed Tom!

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, R Alto said:

Hi all, I'm new to Netweather and this is my first post. Just wanted to quickly introduce myself, I've been a weather nut most of my life and enjoy anything from winter gales to snow to catching the first glimps of Altocumulus castellanus. 

Last night I watched the best night time storm here (Poole) for two years, as I'm sure many of you on here did also to. Such a curious and exciting event, lightening every second, from cells reaching from my South to the NW and really very little rain.

Hoping tomorrow will bring something, though I'm not expecting anything on last nights scale.

Welcome man. Always lovely to see new members and people who have the same passion for storms. I would've loved to have been down your way friday night!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and snow

Are those thunder storms off of nw France going make there way up tough Dorset  and tough to Wiltshire an hours time because this is lighting on real lighting map top of north west France

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .
38 minutes ago, philglossop said:

I hope so. 

The sun's out and it warm and muggy. Perfect conditions 

It's very warm and muggy here too .

it was like this on Friday and boy what a show we had then, but interestingly enough it didn't clear the air . 

Im not sure how or if I'm going to get any fireworks this afternoon or tonight but the set feels the same put it that way . 

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Ciderwithrosie said:

It's very warm and muggy here too .

it was like this on Friday and boy what a show we had then, but interestingly enough it didn't clear the air . 

Im not sure how or if I'm going to get any fireworks this afternoon or tonight but the set feels the same put it that way . 

To my understanding, thunderstorms only clear the air if associated with a cold front.

Posted

Main thundery band has more of an north east movement to it now, looked like it was heading towards the west country but looks not to be at this stage 

Posted

That line of heavy precip associated with the cells in the Channel has spread quite rapidly a few miles Eastwards in the last 15 mins or so. 

Are we able to post screenshots of radar / sferics on here? Or is that a copyright issue?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

The storms in the early hours of Saturday certainly cleared the air here, it was a lot cooler and fresher yesterday, but the humid feel is back again this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

More developing on the eastern side of the front moving up.

• Like 1

Posted

Quite good timing on this band moving up heat and humidity on the up here and euro4 has this modeled quite well so far .

17052812_2800.gif

17052815_2800.gif

17052818_2800.gif

Posted
16 minutes ago, Stormhog said:

That line of heavy precip associated with the cells in the Channel has spread quite rapidly a few miles Eastwards in the last 15 mins or so. 

Are we able to post screenshots of radar / sferics on here? Or is that a copyright issue?

Hi Stormhog and welcome to the forum.

You are okay to post pictures of the radar/sferics on here from Netweathers lightning detector/radar. If you are posting an image from another website then it is always safer to reference the website at the bottom of your post. I normally put a link to the website I have used.

Posted
37 minutes ago, tomdewey said:

Are those thunder storms off of nw France going make there way up tough Dorset  and tough to Wiltshire an hours time because this is lighting on real lighting map top of north west France

Perhaps by 4 to 5pm, better chance is a repeat of Friday night at some stage late evening into tonight.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Hi all, I'm a long-term lurker I've finally decided to sign up.

Can anyone on the south-coast see any cloud build up yet? I'm based in Southend and often sit on the seawall when storms come in as you can see them coming up over the North Downs, the Medway and over the Thames Estuary. Last year we had some fantastic cloud formation preceding one thuderstorms, so I'm hoping for something today.

• Like 1

Posted

Temps on the rise here. Not a cloud in sight and the air feels dry. Doesn't feel in the slightest that we could get a storm in the next 24 hours. It's an absoluely beautiful day for a bit of work in the garden!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

What about Bridlington east coast I'm hoping for something tonight ??

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Sentinel said:

Can anyone on the south-coast see any cloud build up yet? I'm based in Southend and often sit on the seawall when storms come in as you can see them coming up over the North Downs, the Medway and over the Thames Estuary. Last year we had some fantastic cloud formation preceding one thuderstorms, so I'm hoping for something today.

Hi Sentinel and welcome to the group. I'm keeping an eye on this webcam as anything hitting Brighton is likely to have our name on it.

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/united-kingdom/england/brighton/brighton.html

• Like 1

Posted

Met Office have extended there warnings just a smidge further north.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jamesthemonkeh said:

Beautiful

Interesting how the Met Office's projected rainfall now shows downpours for the south of England around 3/4pm.  Cannot help but think that might inhibit potential developments later in the evening.

qeqwe3.JPG

Shouldn't do as the later event is a nocturnal one so isn't dependent on diurnal heating to initiate :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C
19 minutes ago, Sentinel said:

Hi and welcome to the forums! 

I'm just down the road from you in Benfleet, hopefully we'll see something good tonight :)