Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 27th Feb onwards

Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast
6 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

UK Scientific....isn;t that the old met monkey chaps?......decent bunch IIRC

I don't really remember but it rings a bell! They have performed quite well in my opinion, and although nowcasting as always, most forecasts are broadly close now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

The Normandy cell just shows how explosive the atmosphere is to our SW. All this juicy thundery air is moving across the UK in the next 24 hours.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
1 minute ago, Chris K said:

I don't really remember but it rings a bell! They have performed quite well in my opinion, and although nowcasting as always, most forecasts are broadly close now.

yep, met monkey were pretty good from what I remember.....Keithy Joe occasionally used to post on here, and mapantz, weren't you quote prominent on there?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I certainly was!
They were good days. Sadly, smaller weather forums are difficult to sustain when there are big ones. It's just nice to be on one when there's a hive of activity, so we can share our experiences/videos/pictures etc. :)

3 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

yep, met monkey were pretty good from what I remember.....Keithy Joe occasionally used to post on here, and mapantz, weren't you quote prominent on there?

I've been looking for some independent stations under those echo's in Northern France. I wanted to see if any rain totals were being recorded, or whether its properly elevated. It's a bit sparse for stations in that area, unfortunately. The colour chart shows them to be at the top of the scale on NetWx radar - 250 mm/h dance4.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I certainly was!
They were good days. Sadly, smaller weather forums are difficult to sustain when there are big ones. It's just nice to be on one when there's a hive of activity, so we can share our experiences/videos/pictures etc. :)

I've been looking for some independent stations under those echo's in Northern France. I wanted to see if any rain totals were being recorded, or whether its properly elevated. It's a bit sparse for stations in that area, unfortunately. The colour chart shows them to be at the top of the scale on NetWx radar - 250 mm/h dance4.gif

Hail core?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Considering the cell pushing out of Normandy I just want to highlight this part of the Estofex forecast made last night to show how incredibly accurate it is:

"Over W-France/SW-UK, the air mass stays capped until sunset. Thereafter, initiation is expected over the NE-Bay of Biscay and far NW-France as the trough and front both approach from the SW. Forecast soundings show elevated MUCAPE in excess of 1 kJ/kg with 15-20 m/s DLS. Thunderstorms grow upscale into an organized cluster of storms quite fast. This cluster crosses the W-English Channel and affects SW-UK during the second part of the night, where large hail will be well possible. In addition, low to mid-tropospheric winds strengthen over that region during the night to 15 m/s in the lowest 3 km. Elevated nature of storms should limit the overall severe wind gust threat, but we can't exclude the chance for stronger downdrafts to penetrate through the stable layer. Therefore strong to isolated severe wind gusts are also forecast. Heavy rain is possible over NW-France but confidence decreases for SW-UK due to the progressive nature of the cluster and its late arrival."

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Flashes of lightning visible on this webcam from St. Malo in northern France - When it's pointing in the correct direction :)

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)
2 minutes ago, <<Ryan>> said:

Flashes of lightning visible on this webcam from St. Malo in northern France - When it's pointing in the correct direction :)

Thats a nice looking shower/storm! 

• Like 1

Posted

Interested to see if NetWx-SR is in any way accurate with its development of cells over south-west England at roughly midnight, met-office shows very little at this time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms
2 minutes ago, <<Ryan>> said:

You sure it's not the lighthouses? lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes
6 minutes ago, Essex Easterly said:

You sure it's not the lighthouses? lol

Lol, I'm sure! Rewind and you'll see :D

-Typical that when I posted this, the cell seemed to lose almost all lightning activity 

Edited by <<Ryan>>

Posted

New cell fired up WNW of the main one.

Posted

New cell firing up now.

Posted
21 minutes ago, Mesoscale said:

Thats a nice looking shower/storm! 

Still watching this camera ! ~ East of the Cell,. I can see rapid tower growth !! Expecting this to form soon!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Supacell said:

If things are still looking good in the morning I will definitely be chasing. The first round looks to pass over my area so I may stay near home and hope for the best in the morning. Through the afternoon I would need to head north or east. Models are not quite in agreement of whether it will be Lincolnshire/Humber area or further north from the Pennines to NE England. By tomorrow it could be different again.

The UK's tornado alley is the best bet tomorrow, which from experience is the the A1079 between York and Hull, the amount of times I've found myself chasing around the Beverley area.

Il be chasing from around from 2-3ish running with dashcam if theres anything about.

Posted
5 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

The UK's tornado alley is the best bet tomorrow, which from experience is the the A1079 between York and Hull, the amount of times I've found myself chasing around the Beverley area.

Il be chasing from around from 2-3ish running with dashcam if theres anything about.

Id say that the UKs tornado alley is South Lincolnshire, with Sleaford being comparable to Oklahoma City ;)

Edited by ChezWeather
  • Like 1

Posted

It will be interesting to see the next radar returns as there are sferics N of the second cell,could be false returns.

yep,false.

the cell is picking up....over sea:)

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!
4 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

Vizzy, not good around here tomorrow, it's Radio 1's Big Weekend and the place is chockers plus tight security after Manchester. I would try and keep South, the traffic has been bad here this evening....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Estofex struggling with a forecast it seems. 

Posted
20 minutes ago, ancientsolar said:

Still watching this camera ! ~ East of the Cell,. I can see rapid tower growth !! Expecting this to form soon!

Looks like NE over Jersey on the latest radar return:),but could be anoprop,a line between the two cells is forming though.

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted

These Models seem to be getting better and better for Thunderstorm risk 

18z top - 12z bottom

18Z.png

12z 26TH.png

Edited by TJS1998Tom