Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Nick F

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 27th Feb onwards

Recommended Posts

I don't know if today really is chasing weather. The storms are likely to be quite short-lived where they do occur and while I'd consider a little jaunt if I lived in the midlands it's just not worth the time or petrol money from our area.

good luck to those who are venturing out today and I hope you get something for your efforts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A crack of thunder here....first of the season....nice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love how the storms die crossing the Irish puddle :nonono: Suns out here maybe some insolation will kick off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ireland seems to of done well today.

Feeling quite chilly today otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

chucked it down. Cloud yet again looked like it could produce a crack or two but no, just heavy rain. Didn't even bother to hail. poor show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm calling today a bust. Any cells that have developed have passed to my west, and the showers I have had come over are just mushy rain and not stormy in nature. Any action that has developed seems to all be to the west of here as northwest kent continues to have its storm-shield up. Good luck to those in more favourable spots. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I think you're right, Windblade. Hasn't rained here, or felt at all stormy all day. All the cells have missed me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi.

Well the North Lincolnshire woods have gone bang and we have our first storm of the year in Grimsby/ Cleethorpes. A few flashes and cracks of loud thunder and very heavy rain . Doesn't appear to be lasting long but I'll take it.

Regards

Glenn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you!! :) I've been lurking around since 2015 but had to re register again today. Thanks again and i look forward to contributing to this excellent forum with its brilliant and informative members onboard :D

Regards, Glenn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a fantastic crack of lightning and thunder almost simultaneously about 20 minutes ago just outside Doncaster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rain, sun, rain, hope, and optimism for tomorrow and beyond.  No electrical shenanigans for north Manchester, where I was today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit of a disappointing day today. After hanging around the M18/M62 and seeing nothing more interesting than some patchy rain with the odd heavier burst I ended up intercepting a cell near Doncaster around late-afternoon time. It looked like a convergence zone had developed and it produced some brief hail and torrential rain, but no lightning. Infact, at this time the only sferics were way to the south and along the east coast of Lincolnshire. If I tried to reach the ones on the east coast I knew they would have moved offshore by the time I got there.

vlcsnap-error677.thumb.png.313ca407591fcd423b18f1b70cbedd6e.png

I chased the showers from Doncaster towards the Humber in the hope they would intensify as they reached the area I had originally had in mind for the best chance of anything. Unfortunately, instead, the line of showers became just moderate rain once more and I was still yet to see a single spark.

Finally at around 7pm I gave up and headed home. I had not seen enough to warrant the distance I had travelled and felt disappointed but at least I wasn't having the added insult of knowing I had missed something back home. Back at home I was feeling satisfied that it was not a bust because I had got it wrong but rather because things never really kicked off. This was until I looked at the radar to see thunderstorms had broken out directly over where I had been sitting all afternoon! Thanks mother nature for that nice kick in the nuts!!!

So, onto my next torture session storm chase opportunity. GFS shows Monday as being a good day with some decent CAPE values and heavy precipitation across N and E England. BBC and Met Office are forecasting a dry day. So, I am confused.... I assume one will fall in line with the other at some point, probably tomorrow. Likelihood is that the GFS will fall in line with the Met Office. Then I am hearing mumurs of a thundery plume next weekend or thereabouts - a long way off but it has my ears pricked up at least.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, robt said:

Had a fantastic crack of lightning and thunder almost simultaneously about 20 minutes ago just outside Doncaster.

Chased it to Scun-thorpe lol(typo crap),just got back in,i will have a full report in a bit with pics of todays convective sky's plus vid clips later:)

Edited by Allseasons-si

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Chased it to Scun-thorpe lol(typo crap),just got back in,i will have a full report in a bit with pics of todays convective sky's plus vid clips later:)

Had a difficult chase here  , suffered from terminal morose ,but eventually made it to the off-licence :nonono:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Supacell said:

A bit of a disappointing day today. After hanging around the M18/M62 and seeing nothing more interesting than some patchy rain with the odd heavier burst I ended up intercepting a cell near Doncaster around late-afternoon time. It looked like a convergence zone had developed and it produced some brief hail and torrential rain, but no lightning. Infact, at this time the only sferics were way to the south and along the east coast of Lincolnshire. If I tried to reach the ones on the east coast I knew they would have moved offshore by the time I got there.

vlcsnap-error677.thumb.png.313ca407591fcd423b18f1b70cbedd6e.png

I chased the showers from Doncaster towards the Humber in the hope they would intensify as they reached the area I had originally had in mind for the best chance of anything. Unfortunately, instead, the line of showers became just moderate rain once more and I was still yet to see a single spark.

Finally at around 7pm I gave up and headed home. I had not seen enough to warrant the distance I had travelled and felt disappointed but at least I wasn't having the added insult of knowing I had missed something back home. Back at home I was feeling satisfied that it was not a bust because I had got it wrong but rather because things never really kicked off. This was until I looked at the radar to see thunderstorms had broken out directly over where I had been sitting all afternoon! Thanks mother nature for that nice kick in the nuts!!!

So, onto my next torture session storm chase opportunity. GFS shows Monday as being a good day with some decent CAPE values and heavy precipitation across N and E England. BBC and Met Office are forecasting a dry day. So, I am confused.... I assume one will fall in line with the other at some point, probably tomorrow. Likelihood is that the GFS will fall in line with the Met Office. Then I am hearing mumurs of a thundery plume next weekend or thereabouts - a long way off but it has my ears pricked up at least.

 

that's the one i was chasing,it developed just north of me,then when i saw sferics come off it then i went to chase it,i didn't get close to it cos it was like a flippin train but managed to get some footage

sorry to here that you missed out today but there will be plenty more opportunities to come we hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Allseasons-si said:

that's the one i was chasing,it developed just north of me,then when i saw sferics come off it then i went to chase it,i didn't get close to it cos it was like a flippin train but managed to get some footage

sorry to here that you missed out today but there will be plenty more opportunities to come we hope.

They were moving fast today, not like the slow moving storms that affected areas further south yesterday. Every year has its disappointing days, it's part and parcel of the hobby unfortunately. Glad to hear you got to see it and get some footage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Supacell said:

They were moving fast today, not like the slow moving storms that affected areas further south yesterday. Every year has its disappointing days, it's part and parcel of the hobby unfortunately. Glad to hear you got to see it and get some footage.

Thanks,yes i could not keep up with it,by the time i got my tackle togeather etc it was over past Donny way,i realy had to motor lol

uploading the clips shortly and i will post some pics,give me 5-10 mins:)

Edited by Allseasons-si

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok here are my convective sky's of today and i am pretty chuffed and got the most out of it:)

this CB was early afternoon to my SE when it all started to kick off

DSC01307.thumb.JPG.f6e85ee1c089ac431d6903ceb3aee10f.JPG

and by late afternoon/evening a storm developed to the north of me

DSC01311.thumb.JPG.4b796f6404efb94193688e2398118a18.JPG

i then set off to chase it and stopped at Marr nr the A1M to find that there was some lowering skud of which i thought that there would be a funnel

DSC01314.thumb.JPG.a455c6d230efc6c57acf4df63ef8105e.JPGDSC01315.thumb.JPG.4301d78a6ea36437162269e587ed5b62.JPG

i went north on the A1M to reach the M62 east towards Hull and my daughter took some snaps of the inflow on the move

DSC01317.thumb.JPG.9c8b98fbec0949f48fe76589a7418238.JPGDSC01320.thumb.JPG.2c4e9da889952c58b45b6e9f931c9575.JPGDSC01321.thumb.JPG.220480d37c9dec0b76e4454b91cfb408.JPG

the original storm had died but the inflow gained strength as we went south on the M18

DSC01323.thumb.JPG.e2200533993ec304ee8430a0192cd8bd.JPGDSC01326.thumb.JPG.8a82c6f8e06e3bb66de8c164e0307106.JPGDSC01327.thumb.JPG.7c40419ff99b46382410760cd4e2d33f.JPG

we stopped on the M18/M180 services to fuel up,thats when the second storm south of the original one kicked off,i have just watched the clip back and only captured two lightning flashes in the tops of the developing cell,upload will be done in ten clicks,meanwhile here is a stunning panno from Marr:D

DSC01313.thumb.JPG.daafe5ee98550804d033e21e5accd20a.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Ok here are my convective sky's of today and i am pretty chuffed and got the most out of it:)

this CB was early afternoon to my SE when it all started to kick off

DSC01307.thumb.JPG.f6e85ee1c089ac431d6903ceb3aee10f.JPG

and by late afternoon/evening a storm developed to the north of me

DSC01311.thumb.JPG.4b796f6404efb94193688e2398118a18.JPG

i then set off to chase it and stopped at Marr nr the A1M to find that there was some lowering skud of which i thought that there would be a funnel

DSC01314.thumb.JPG.a455c6d230efc6c57acf4df63ef8105e.JPGDSC01315.thumb.JPG.4301d78a6ea36437162269e587ed5b62.JPG

i went north on the A1M to reach the M62 east towards Hull and my daughter took some snaps of the inflow on the move

DSC01317.thumb.JPG.9c8b98fbec0949f48fe76589a7418238.JPGDSC01320.thumb.JPG.2c4e9da889952c58b45b6e9f931c9575.JPGDSC01321.thumb.JPG.220480d37c9dec0b76e4454b91cfb408.JPG

the original storm had died but the inflow gained strength as we went south on the M18

DSC01323.thumb.JPG.e2200533993ec304ee8430a0192cd8bd.JPGDSC01326.thumb.JPG.8a82c6f8e06e3bb66de8c164e0307106.JPGDSC01327.thumb.JPG.7c40419ff99b46382410760cd4e2d33f.JPG

we stopped on the M18/M180 services to fuel up,thats when the second storm south of the original one kicked off,i have just watched the clip back and only captured two lightning flashes in the tops of the developing cell,upload will be done in ten clicks,meanwhile here is a stunning panno from Marr:D

DSC01313.thumb.JPG.daafe5ee98550804d033e21e5accd20a.JPG

Nice shots si 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok here is the clip but it's nothing special but at least it's a start,sorry for my daughter going on lol

lightning at 15 secs and 1 min 8 secs

 

Edited by Allseasons-si

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Ok here is the clip but it's nothing special but at least it's a start,sorry for my daughter going on lol

lightning at 15 secs and 1 min 8 secs

 

Is that a BP supercell si ? ? ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mokidugway said:

Is that a BP supercell si ? ? ?

lol

the storm must have got it's juice from there:yahoo:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...