Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Something's brewing to the WSW. Think it's just rain though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder
13 minutes ago, Raynee said:

Things seem to be kicking off here just north of Ludlow, Shropshire

Yes looks a bit stormy looking toward the Clee.   Some outflow features near Knighton in the last hour.

20170519_173008.jpg

20170519_175048.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Been quite dark to my south for a while and Glasgow looks a bit wet but think we going to miss this batch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Sat 20 May 2017 - 05:59 UTC Sun 21 May 2017

ISSUED 18:01 UTC Fri 19 May 2017

ISSUED BY: Chris

Upper trough axis will spread eastwards out of Britain during the morning, although an unstable airmass will remain across many areas into the afternoon. This in combination with an eastward progressing occluded front could help to trigger widespread scattered showers and a few thunderstorms. The timing of the trough axis clearing before max heating will reduce the risk of lightning into the afternoon across central and eastern Britain, despite there being some sharper convection. Pinpointing which showers may produce a few lightning strikes will be difficult, thus such a large low end risk. An update will be issued if model trends are able to highlight more detail Saturday morning. 

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2017-05-20

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

So driving home earlier about 5pm the sky was absolutely black to the east over Dartford with what looked like a moderately sized wall cloud, AND what looked like a funnel. Really wish I wasn't on the A2 as there was nowhere to pull over and take pictures and it was the only opportunity as far as views were concerned as you could see the core and base at certain points where the view wasn't obscured. In my opinion this wasn't a real wall cloud as you need a supercell for a wall cloud I always thought, but the way the scud was arranged it really did look like one with a large funnel coming out of it on the left side.

Since then I've had two big cells pass to the north and south of me but no action overhead. The cell that passed to the north did produce sparks over west london but hasn't produced since.

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
2 hours ago, MP-R said:

Nice clear view of the cells to the north of the Severn Estuary from Yatton.

image.jpeg

Thats a fantasic shot. Was that taken on a phone or a camera?

• Like 2

Posted

Woah! Incredible skies to the West!! Looking almost identical to what Windblade has just described! I don't know how it isn't electrified yet! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

Just got home from chasing the storms around Winchester/Alresford area.  Friday rush hour traffic made things difficult but managed to see several powerful looking CG's, some almost overhead, as well as the odd cloud crawler and some impressive cloudscapes.  Hail and some torrential rain too with flooding in places, worth the trip out!

• Like 2

Posted

THUNDER!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Posted

First crack of Thunder for the year - Chelmsford - Essex

scratch that - just had another one

first one was out of the blue was just in the garden and was like ooh :)

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, Jcweather said:

Woah! Incredible skies to the West!! Looking almost identical to what Windblade has just described! I don't know how it isn't electrified yet! 

What you're looking at there is, according to radar, the cell that passed by my north about 6pm. It did produce over west london earlier but then all electrical activity died since. I think the spring evening cooling is sucking the energy out of the atmosphere now at this time of day as there hasn't been any sparks for quite a while now.

Edit - looks like it's not done! Too far east for me to see/hear it. Still, hope you enjoy Jc. :)

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
15 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Thats a fantasic shot. Was that taken on a phone or a camera?

Many thanks. Taken on a camera - Panasonic LUMIX HDR function.

• Like 1

Posted

Quite an inactive cell this one, only heard two rumbles so far. Both IC I'd say, as all the nearest ones on the detectors are out of earshot. Still, my first thunder of 2017!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
8 minutes ago, Jcweather said:

Quite an inactive cell this one, only heard two rumbles so far. Both IC I'd say, as all the nearest ones on the detectors are out of earshot. Still, my first thunder of 2017!

Just 3 strikes, quite elevated and now fizzled out, at least it's a start!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Enjoyed that Essex thunderstorm as I was driving home - saw three vivid flashes, including one gorgeous white fork out of the side of my windscreen. Skies as I approached it were utterly gorgeous, with a defined base and dense rain/hail curtains backlit by the sinking sun.

Very pleasant surprise after dreary grey and rainy day in Bedford.

Echo Windblade's frustrations, would have loved to have pulled over and taken it all in, alas the M25 is a jam packed beast this time of day.

Posted

Day 2 Convective Outlook

Upper trough axis will spread eastwards out of Britain during the morning, although an unstable airmass will remain across many areas into the afternoon. This in combination with an eastward progressing occluded front could help to trigger widespread scattered showers and a few thunderstorms. The timing of the trough axis clearing before max heating will reduce the risk of lightning into the afternoon across central and eastern Britain, despite there being some sharper convection. Pinpointing which showers may produce a few lightning strikes will be difficult, thus such a large low end risk. An update will be issued if model trends are able to highlight more detail Saturday morning. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
9 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Day 2 Convective Outlook

Posted nearly 1 hour ago

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/87225-convective-storm-discussion-thread-27th-feb-onwards/?do=findComment&comment=3579324

Posted
10 minutes ago, Harry said:

Enjoyed that Essex thunderstorm as I was driving home - saw three vivid flashes, including one gorgeous white fork out of the side of my windscreen. Skies as I approached it were utterly gorgeous, with a defined base and dense rain/hail curtains backlit by the sinking sun.

Very pleasant surprise after dreary grey and rainy day in Bedford.

Echo Windblade's frustrations, would have loved to have pulled over and taken it all in, alas the M25 is a jam packed beast this time of day.

M25 is a nightmare at the best of times mate. I refer to it as "The worlds biggest car park" lol. 

Bit frustrated the Essex cell electrfied so late (why couldn't it had fired up when it was right to my north? :wallbash:) but happy you, Jc and others got to see some action nonetheless. :)

Edited by Windblade

Posted
38 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Many thanks. Taken on a camera - Panasonic LUMIX HDR function.

Thats incredible. I really need to get a proper camera for times like this. I do have a Samsung digital camera which is a bit old nowadays (it's a hand me down). It's in no way professional equipment or have interchangable lenses or anything like that but it has a decent zoom and overall it's ok. I might start using it (been in it's case for years, literally). Problem is the batteries go flat in about three days if you don't use it. I don't know much about cameras and am wondering if modern camera batteries are the same or are they much better nowadays?

Edited by Windblade

Posted

Storm all but cleared out now. Wasn't much, but 2 strikes are better than none!

• Like 2

Posted

All over for now but lets see what tomorrow brings.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, Windblade said:

Thats incredible. I really need to get a proper camera for times like this. I do have a Samsung digital camera which is a bit old nowadays (it's a hand me down). It's in no way professional equipment or have interchangable lenses or anything like that but it has a decent zoom and overall it's ok. I might start using it (been in it's case for years, literally). Problem is the batteries go flat in about three days if you don't use it. I don't know much about cameras and am wondering if modern camera batteries are the same or are they much better nowadays?

Thanks again. A good camera is definitely worth it if you're looking to get into photography, not least for weather and such like. Most up to date digital cameras also have a very good built in video and quality, which makes switching between photography and video during storms really easy if you're not geared up with an even fancier camcorder especially. I tend to find my battery can go a long way before needing charging. It may vary for different cameras though.

• Like 1