Jump to content
Nick F

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 27th Feb onwards

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Supacell said:

I have finally managed to edit my video from the early hours of Monday morning in Essex. As I said yesterday, I was gutted when I saw the MCS from France take a turn and follow the coast of Sussex and Kent. By this time I was already in Essex but could not really travel any further as did not have the petrol to do so, and no money on me to re-fill (note to self, never leave for a chase without bank card again). I was all set to face the disappointment of heading home with nothing to show for my drive out, but as I was sat parked at East Tilbury I noticed closer flashes to the south-west as opposed to the very distant ones I had been seeing occasionally to the south. I am still feeling disappointed that I did not get to be in the stronger storm to my south-east but at least I was able to get some crumbs of comfort. The video below shows some of the storm that passed near to Tilbury.

 

 

That's about 12 miles down the road to my West. I had some lovely lightning too.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Arnie Pie said:

Now that`s the way to do it......Impressive as ever Supa

Some strong gusts

Nice to see what we missed on

Thanks Arnie Pie, it involved a whole night without sleep and a lot of driving. I still wish I had been under the main part of it though.

There were some strong gusts, I nearly lost my camcorder at one point. I'd stood it on top of a flat gate post and the wind blew it straight off and onto the floor. Luckily it had a soft landing onto grass and survived.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Thanks Arnie Pie, it involved a whole night without sleep and a lot of driving. I still wish I had been under the main part of it though.

There were some strong gusts, I nearly lost my camcorder at one point. I'd stood it on top of a flat gate post and the wind blew it straight off and onto the floor. Luckily it had a soft landing onto grass and survived.

Kudos Supacell :) and all those who chased - the more you post plans and updates the more we can all get behind you. Next stop friday in the SE it looks like?

:) Samos

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Can't edit my last post, but for those curious about +CGs, see 3:18 and especially 6:24 - note the intensity of the flash and explosive peel like thunder (incidentally setting an alarm off before the thunder even hits)

Edited by Harry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been watching the Cornwall videos all day aswell, really wish I was down there for that event, although to be fair we did have a pretty good show here. There's a good YouTube video of a storm filmed off the isle of scilly although from a year or two ago. Can't post links, my phone hasn't got the minerals 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Harry said:

Still haven't got round to sorting out some of my footage from Sunday's MCS.

In addition to the great footage posted on here, I've been enjoying some of the footage from the SW's pasting on Saturday.

Watch this as one example...

 

 

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

Can't edit my last post, but for those curious about +CGs, see 3:18 and especially 6:24 - note the intensity of the flash and explosive peel like thunder (incidentally setting an alarm off before the thunder even hits)

Oh wow,  that but constant thunder during the late 90s in Central London!  Memories last a lifetime.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought what I witnessed from 03.00 - 03.30 was epic but it pales into insignificance compared to that! 

What's the greyness lurking behind the tree after the 2 minute mark, probably just scud but very suspiciously funnel like.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

?

Edited by Andy Bown
Double post, flipping phones!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Harry said:

Still haven't got round to sorting out some of my footage from Sunday's MCS.

In addition to the great footage posted on here, I've been enjoying some of the footage from the SW's pasting on Saturday.

Watch this as one example...

 

I watched the livecam that night from our hotel abroad and I thought my phone was playing up.

That truly is EPIC!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched what Harry posted earlier this morning on youtube. That's a absolute humdinger.  (and as soon as it came up here gave about 5 minutes of rain) but we got our bonus ball in the showers that followed it ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's 9 miles! Amazing 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NUT said:

I watched what Harry posted earlier this morning on youtube. That's a absolute humdinger.  (and as soon as it came up here gave about 5 minutes of rain) but we got our bonus ball in the showers that followed it ;)

Same as, Nut.......cracking video

All credit to the maker Will Woodgate 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Supacell said:

I have finally managed to edit my video from the early hours of Monday morning in Essex.

 

Nice one SupaCell! - Here's mine :) One of the most charged storms I've ever witnessed, a true Thunderstorm event with everything but a tornado lol. There was countless strikes far worse than these below and one even struck a house nearby

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

That's 9 miles! Amazing 

 

Stunning grab!

There is something awe inspiring and thrilling about MCS'. I just hope we get more of them this year.

I can't think of two consecutive days of such large, electrified storms. Does anyone know the combined lightning totals for Saturday and Sunday?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 29/05/2017 at 02:47, xSnow said:

All Lightning in the past 72 hours.

IMG_4954.PNG

There you go H.....top right corner

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Locking this now. New thread for the new season here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×