Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 27th Feb onwards

Nick F

Posted
22 minutes ago, Supacell said:

On my phone so can't post a grab but that shower near Ludlow has an interesting shape to it. May be just coincidence that it has formed into a comma shape but would be interested to know what it looks like from underneath.

It's started pelting down with rain here, but still no thunder. Just looks like gloomy rain clouds, so much low cloud/mist about today that you wouldn't see any towers. Haven't had a single rumble this year so far...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Anyone having trouble with lightningmaps.org:cc_confused:

• Like 3

Posted

well its now the most thundery its felt all weekend, temp of 15c humidity 93%, after earlier heavy shower its now very still

Posted
Just now, Mokidugway said:

Yeah there's no lightning on it :nonono:

LOL

Yes,i am suprised there hasn't been any,they have been beefy showers for hours now,some mechanism is missing.

Posted
Just now, Mokidugway said:

Insolation I guess been a depressing day  .

Yeah,could be right,if we had the sun then things prob would have been different,anyhoo's let's move on to the next(hopefully)thundery spell next friday:D

• Like 2

Posted

Lightningmaps.org back on but still zilch and didn't expect owt either

check out Belgium though:nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and Snow, lots of snow...

I have just come across this on my fb feed. By far the best footage I have seen of last night's storm here in South East kent, they had an excellent elevated position at the top of folkestone by the look of it.

Just amazing and beautiful.

Credit to Mike Paul Hull. 

https://m.facebook.com/groups/781610218635613?view=permalink&id=1134100610053237

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mokidugway said:

Yep like their chocolate you can have  to much ..

Ooooh!!!,don't get me started,i have just had a full box of jaffacakes:D

• Like 2

Posted
9 hours ago, Stormhog said:

Managed to get a few shots at Pevensey last night, although the rain hit and forced me under cover before the lightning came close enough to catch the spectacular crawlers that followed.

_DSC0144.jpg

_DSC0193.jpg

_DSC0206.jpg

What camera was that on couldn't get my canon 750d to work last night

Edited by Tom Jarvis
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Tue 30 May 2017 - 05:59 UTC Wed 31 May 2017

ISSUED 21:20 UTC Mon 29 May 2017

ISSUED BY: Dan

Disrupting upper trough will migrate eastwards across the British Isles on Tuesday, with a weakening occlusion/cold front at the surface drifting SE-wards. There may be sufficient forcing, given residual moisture near the surface, for some convection to develop along and/or ahead of this front, although large cloud amounts may limit this potential and in either case the true convective depth will likely be too marginal for lightning. As a result, very little lightning is expected, with perhaps more favourable conditions found in E/NE Scotland where a funnel or weak tornado may also be possible.

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2017-05-30

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

I'm quite surprised that last nights thunderstorm has been quite often reported both here and elsewhere as a 'Kent Clipper'.

Whilst the main body of the storm appeared to track eastwards through the English Channel it was quite widely observed from locations as far apart as Dorset to the west, the London area to the north and Essex to the east.

Here in St Leonards-on-Sea it produced some of the most spectacular lightning I have witnessed in the Uk for many a year. It first became visible as distant flashes around 10.30pm but within half an hour it was apparent this was going to be something quite special in this neck of the woods. The lightning was almost constant at times, some of it practically overhead and whilst most of the thunder was just a long rumble we had several shotgun blasts that had me running for cover at the time.

All in all I would rate this a 9/10 for a brilliant lightshow and longevity.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Just noticed on the Met Office twitter feed that an 83mph gust was recorded in the Dover Strait during last night's MCS.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
19 hours ago, Luke Best said:

Fantastic, many thanks for this guys!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
9 hours ago, SenlacJack said:

I'm quite surprised that last nights thunderstorm has been quite often reported both here and elsewhere as a 'Kent Clipper'.

Whilst the main body of the storm appeared to track eastwards through the English Channel it was quite widely observed from locations as far apart as Dorset to the west, the London area to the north and Essex to the east.

Here in St Leonards-on-Sea it produced some of the most spectacular lightning I have witnessed in the Uk for many a year. It first became visible as distant flashes around 10.30pm but within half an hour it was apparent this was going to be something quite special in this neck of the woods. The lightning was almost constant at times, some of it practically overhead and whilst most of the thunder was just a long rumble we had several shotgun blasts that had me running for cover at the time.

The lightning observed in Dorset and across many of the western areas were actually small cells embedded within the rain mass - not lightning from the cluster of cells over the channel.

One small cell over Haywards Heath area produced several large crawlers towards the end of the main storm but while this could easily be attributed to the main cluster due to the impressive strikes, it was about 40 miles from where the main activity was, so was definately part of the wider rain mass.

The MCS was most certaintly a clipper.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lighting and sunshine
10 hours ago, SenlacJack said:

There is a tiny part of me that was relieved the storm went where it went and had its back turned to the UK.  It was, at one point, destined straight  for London and feared there would be some fires and casualties from the electrical part dragging over the densly populated area. 

I would call it Kent, Sussex, Dorset, Devon clipper *

[edit]* I didn't know about the inland cells being separate from the mcs proper as per flash bang's post. I retract my statement 

Edited by Chris Lea-Alex
Typo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Now that`s the way to do it......Impressive as ever Supa

Some strong gusts

Nice to see what we missed on

• Like 1