Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 27th Feb onwards

Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

it's going to do the bedford special totally turn into storm cells once that shower passes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .

From mid afternoon heavy rain on and off . Really dark now and humid .im. I ot expecting fireworks I think the rain will ease the humidity. But very interesting all the same. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Looking at  the visible satellite a line of dense cloud has developed between NE Scotland and Lyme Bay. This is in line with the echoes across Wales. The cloud is less dense and breaking-up behind this. Maybe a chance later, although at 18:00 now, time is pushing on....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
17 minutes ago, Ciderwithrosie said:

From mid afternoon heavy rain on and off . Really dark now and humid .im. I ot expecting fireworks I think the rain will ease the humidity. But very interesting all the same. 

I may not know much about the weather, Ciderwithrosie - but, wait there for the present?:D

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1

Posted

DSC00200.thumb.JPG.c0eaf8e0ff750847493e2af38164f133.JPGdDSC00201.thumb.JPG.9ab653812b31e6c1ddcad80ae252e74e.JPGi

DSC00202.JPG

DSC00203.JPG

DSC00204.JPGView from my back garden :-) 

Edited by Ciderwithrosie
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, UKSupercell said:

Put together some of the better lightning strikes my dash cam caught last night. Must have been dozens I witnessed, but dash cam didn't get them all. This was down by Brighton and then Eastbourne. 

Awesome catches there @UKSupercell

• Like 3

Posted

Another torrential downpour :-) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Small cell intensifying East of Chelmsford. Nothing electrical anywhere in the UK at the mo but there are cells about...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Harry said:

From my memory as a kid with no weather knowledge whatsoever, MCS did seem to occur almost on an annual basis. I also recall being under them, rather than on the periphery which seems more common today.

I remember an event in August 1997 (I think) which to me then was terrifying and handful of others really stand out.

Past few years have tended to be multi-cell events (ie lots of mid level cells coalescing) rather than what I saw last night.

Lets hope for more of the same this year :D

Feels very warm and humid here now that I'm back from the coast. Would be greedy of me to fancy a few more rumbles this evening, although the extensive cloud cover may not be conducive. 

The stuff we had out over on that French webcam is what I remember from the late 90s?  Constant lightning and booming thunder. I just can't understand why they don't make the channel anymore, or they drift towards Kent.  I remember them coming straight from the south, unless what we need is a North North westerly breakdown from the South South East unlike yesterday which was from the South South west heading North North east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow
16 minutes ago, Harry said:

Awesome catches there @UKSupercell

Cheers Harry. Praise be to the dash cam, lol. The secret weapon in any storm chasers armoury, I guess. Without that I'd have had nothing to show for last night. Def recommend dash cams with a 32GB memory card or more (gives you 3-4 hours recording before overwriting starts) for anyone storm chasing! 

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Muffelchen said:

Small cell intensifying East of Chelmsford. Nothing electrical anywhere in the UK at the mo but there are cells about...

No, I'm not surprised it's not electrified , but pretty impressive all the same in terms of rainfall. .

Posted

Well the Home Counties were pretty quiet compared to the rest of the UK over the last three nights, I slept through the worst night of it and only saw a few forks last night while out and about. 

I just read through your thread about the 2nd-4th July 2015 and the supercell that hit Bournemouth that started a pretty lively night for the UK. 

I thoroughly enjoyed going through all the posts. 

I lived in central Bournemouth at the time and i've never encountered anything like that night in the UK, especially being a direct hit for the cell that broke out from the channel and went straight overhead, seemed like 2/3 flashes a second in it's peak, it was so intense, brilliantly loud, couldn't hear the thunder over the boom of the localised bolts landing very close to home, came and went in about 30-45 minutes, but it was just crazy at the time. 

Hopefully I can capture some footage in some future storms and share them here. Nice to see some strong interest in the storms in the UK. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
41 minutes ago, Muffelchen said:

Looking at  the visible satellite a line of dense cloud has developed between NE Scotland and Lyme Bay. This is in line with the echoes across Wales. The cloud is less dense and breaking-up behind this. Maybe a chance later, although at 18:00 now, time is pushing on....

The 12z WRF NMM 2 km model shows the showers moving into my area midnight onwards then fizzling out and a fair old blob of ppn pushing through to the east midlands and then on into the wash area,i know we cannot trust any of the models but i do feel like it will be a bust here now

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/wrfnmm.php?ech=3&mode=1&map=330

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
9 minutes ago, TJS1998Tom said:

12z showing cape on Friday

CAPE 3.png

BBC weather yesterday were saying how thunderstorms could be triggered ahead of the front out west on Friday

Posted

Well a very poor weekend for the East Midlands wrt storms. At least we have another 4 months of potential and opportunities. I am just hoping the next convective episode can affect more places.

Some models showing showers pushing through here this evening, but considering they are not producing sferics even further west means it's unlikely they will hit an area that has been under cloud and rain all day and intensify. Looks like Friday for the next possibility, hopefully that can stretch into the weekend.

I am off to NW Germany on June 13th for a week, I will have my camcorder with me in case anything happens whilst I am there. I am hoping for a German style MCS to sort out need for a proper storm.

• Like 3

Posted
48 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

BBC weather yesterday were saying how thunderstorms could be triggered ahead of the front out west on Friday

If this happens hopefully North York Moors will be in with more of a chance compared to last weekend

Posted

On my phone so can't post a grab but that shower near Ludlow has an interesting shape to it. May be just coincidence that it has formed into a comma shape but would be interested to know what it looks like from underneath.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, Supacell said:

On my phone so can't post a grab but that shower near Ludlow has an interesting shape to it. May be just coincidence that it has formed into a comma shape but would be interested to know what it looks like from underneath.

supposed to be heading my way, but skies been very misty all day, thick low cloud, cannot see anything to my west, or anything coming

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

@ThundersnowDays

You reminded me that i have some Tcu's pics with pileus that turned out the storm i had early saturday afternoon,they was shooting up very quick:)

DSC01363.thumb.JPG.f01a858a0390588186ac9dc9eb695b89.JPGDSC01364.thumb.JPG.6b8f5163aa9b6e7b892c5d4094dc12f9.JPG

DSC01365.thumb.JPG.23b8f1a1b94382ee428160f5d7ed8e32.JPGDSC01366.thumb.JPG.c98f2052579aa2008aea1a3d0bf9c73b.JPG

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus
20 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Yes that temptress has been fluctuating over the last few hours while hardly moving....would not mind knowing how much rain its put down....seems to be building and splitting over the last few runs

Edited by Arnie Pie