Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

15:45 update

Day 1 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Sun 28 May 2017 - 05:59 UTC Mon 29 May 2017

ISSUED 14:45 UTC Sun 28 May 2017

ISSUED BY: Chris/Dan

*Update at 1430z on Sunday to shift the main empahsis a little further west due to model trends* 

Upper trough approaching Iberia will advect a plume of high ThetaW air northwards across southern Britain through the course of Sunday evening and overnight into Monday. Destabilisation of this plume is expected, with upper forcing combining with isentropic upglide to allow areas of elevated thunderstorms to develop and expand in coverage - at least for a time - before general weakening/reducing trend is anticipated later in the night. 

Current thinking is activity will develop around the 19-22z timeframe over the English Channel / Channel Islands / SW England, growing upscale as the whole area of potential shifts NE-wards through the night. Steep mid-level lapse rates and reasonable CAPE suggests lightning will be notably frequent with any thunderstorms, especially farther east where such parameters will be more favourable.

As is often the case in such situations, there is some uncertainty as to the exact forecast evolution and position of areas most likely to experience thunderstorms - as such, the exact position of the SLGT/MDT is subject to some alterations. Some hail and strong gusts of wind will be possible with some of this convective activity.

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2017-05-28

you can tell the uncertainty with the area been moved slight West then this in the message

especially farther east where such parameters will be more favourable.

I would take all this with a pich of salt

even many places within the moderate zone may escape

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
1 hour ago, Harry said:

Indeed, Dymchurch!! 

Good luck to you too matey - as I said earlier I think I'm not in the best position if models are to be believed, but fingers crossed!

Hope you get better soon!

Thanks man. It's a large vitamin D deficiency and possibly other factors (they're still doing tests) which makes me feel like I'm running on empty most of the time. Surviving on chocolate, cakes, crisps and sugary drinks at the mo which give me a small burst for about an hour every so often.

As you're in Dymchurch I recommend visiting the funfair while you wait and picking up some candy floss (they used to have a wicked arcade there in the 80's but sadly now it's just fruit machine crap). I can also recommend the chippy at the other end where the road forks opposite the car park (the one literally on the corner opposite the arcade). Gotta get some seaside chips while you're there waiting for the storms, plus the sea is right behind it so theres a stellar view and plenty of space on the new sea wall to set up camera equipment.

Good luck my friend.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
1 minute ago, Gordon Webb said:

you can tell the uncertainty with the area been moved slight West then this in the message

especially farther east where such parameters will be more favourable.

I would take all this with a pich of salt

even many places within the moderate zone may escape

That's the nature of thunderstorms unless we get a massive mcs! We had a storm here last summer that caused flash flooding here and our local Waitrose got a direct hit, but ten miles ago they just got a thundery shower. Making a good storm is like making a magic potion. You can chuck ingredients in, but only the right combination will do the trick.Despite the drizzle temps are on the rise here, so some energy is around, but whether everything comes together at he right time is anyone's (educated) guess. It's why we love storm chasing!

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Jcweather said:

Hmmm. Westward shift in the MDT there. Still in the slight though, and I do feel like we'll see something tonight...

difference in slight and moderate is only 15% more chance to see lightning within 25 miles of your locale , you could do that and still miss any storm directly

edit - let me know if I seem to be cluttering up thread with repeated information

Edited by Gordon Webb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

Certainly staying up late tonight :D, the sky looks similar to 3rd/4th July 2015 around here, giving me hope, as we all know what happened that night. Humidity has also noticeably increased through the day.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

It's dark and raining but it looks like the thunder has been sucked out of these showers, pardon the technical term:oops:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and snow

I like thunder storm in 2015 over in Warminster I think it was that year and it had of lighting coming of it and I went on for ages 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Met office warnings have updated and has expanded the risk zone to cover more areas further west & north than previously.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings

Untitled.thumb.jpg.e80e1429e81e36bb678ed2daede37b6f.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Latest Arpege shows that the main event will not initiate until later this evening and into Monday morning sfter the really juicy airmass is insitu......certainly feels like the humidity is on the rise! Godd luck everybody and enjoy!

arpegeuk-28-15-0.thumb.png.014562ba4e085d971d46789330eaf1d4.pngarpegeuk-28-18-0.thumb.png.5f9bc99f7020c0f537f96b000639a51e.png

arpegeuk-1-15-0.thumb.png.e7a8d1320551d5c1e50f2ab1b98580b8.pngarpegeuk-1-18-0.thumb.png.e46cde601c4de993fc58121c1aeb302c.png

arpegeuk-5-15-0.thumb.png.0df10f23f39c94b9da04d86ee3ed37f4.pngarpegeuk-5-18-0.thumb.png.4d7d74635ae4cafa6b5b4cad5e12b9e5.png

arpegeuk-28-15-0.png

Edited by Snoopie42
  • Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, Sparkiee storm said:

Certainly staying up late tonight :D, the sky looks similar to 3rd/4th July 2015 around here, giving me hope, as we all know what happened that night. Humidity has also noticeably increased through the day.

think that was the year bournemouth got absoulutely battered I believe , remember that night took an age to arrive then got a move on and were gone within the hour

Edited by Gordon Webb
more spelling mistakes
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Well at boyfriend's in Torpoint SE Cornwall and we abandoned BBQ due to sports of rain.

But it's colder here and lower humidity. Can't see a round 2 here now. Too cloudy and almost a westerly feeling tbh. 

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Quite a change in the forecast from lunchtime where it now says the first band fizzling out where before it was supposed to be expanding. The second pulse is still on the cards at the moment. We should have a good idea later on this evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Directly underneath this cell now and we have moderate rain but not as heavy as radar imagary would suggest, although the darker core hasn't passed over just yet. It's actually pretty light under this thing, lots of light coming through which is surprising as it looked really dark when it was on the horizon coming towards us.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!
13 minutes ago, Gordon Webb said:

think that was the year bournemouth got absoulutely battered I believe , remember that night took an age to arrive then got a move on and were gone withing the hour

Best UK storm I have ever had the pleasure to experience, I was sat waiting in my favourite viewing spot, in and almost empty car park, let's just say that there is a lot of closet storm enthusiasts out there!

Within 5 minutes, the whole place was rammed with people trying to get pictures with their smartphones.

If we get anything close to that tonight I'll be more than happy.

This is my contribution from that night, a bit shaky but still gives a good idea to how amazing that storm was.

Edited by Christchurch storm nut
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.
8 minutes ago, Gordon Webb said:

think that was the year bournemouth got absoulutely battered I believe , remember that night took an age to arrive then got a move on and were gone within the hour

Yeah Bournemouth lit up like a christmas tree, incredible lightning rate with that storm, as it moved north it lost some of its immensity but still a good storm as the skirted us here in the West Midlands 

Posted

I've been inside all day but it feels less humid to me and fresher than it has for days. I don't have measuring equipment to back this up but I'm definitely feeling cooler/more comfortable today which is nice as I can't stand being hot. The cell overhead is easing off and starting to pass northeast but no flashes or rumbles so combined with the fresher feel we may not have the right indegrients here just yet. However I think tonight may well be different as the forecast is for elevated mcs I believe.

Gonna pop off and watch the grand prix on catchup. Good luck for tonight everyone.

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Cameras all charged up and ready for action! Just need to find a decent spot to set up and then hope for the best.

Any decent view points around the M4 corridor area that anyone can recommend? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Not that it makes much difference to tonight but the temperatures risen very quickly here in the last hour or so and it's starting to feel more humid. 

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Wow!!!! Basildon just lit up, I've not heard thunder this loud in years!! CG's all over and very heavy vertical rain :yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Karl83 said:

Cameras all charged up and ready for action! Just need to find a decent spot to set up and then hope for the best.

Any decent view points around the M4 corridor area that anyone can recommend? 

Marlborough Downs or on the Cotswold edge got to be in with a shout looking at the latest updated predictions.

• Like 1