Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 27th Feb onwards

Nick F

Posted
1 hour ago, The PIT said:

Well the forecast has us inline for action overnight whether it happens as we all know is up in the air literately.

Will it be the usual case? Slightly too far South yesterday and too far North tonight?! 

I cant complain though, afterall its only May!

Posted

Going to get a drenching if what's heading towards the west stays on track. Is it likely to become more electrified as it hits the land, not a lot of lightning being detected 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
46 minutes ago, Surrey said:

The more sun the better I say in these cases! 

Yes, that's my major concern for later as that messy, debris laden clag makes it to us, blocking out the sun. Often impacts the 'real' situation despite excellent potential shown by models. 

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

This is looking better by the hour forecast wise! Out of nowhere, I'm placed in the moderate area!! Just a day or two ago, it was looking as if it would struggle to even get to the south coast. 

Firstly, surely Plymouth can't get round two within a couple of hours, can it..?! ;)

What an exciting period of weather this is! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, ChezWeather said:

Will it be the usual case? Slightly too far South yesterday and too far North tonight?! 

I cant complain though, afterall its only May!

It does annoy me the fact that whenever there are thunderstorms from the south the models always diverge on whether they will get as far as our area. It would be great to be able to be excited about an incoming plume, but is always a case of wait and see. I was just thinking to myself earlier, if I were back in the pre-internet days I would be really excited right now after hearing the BBC weather forecast going on about thunderstorms becoming widespread overnight with frequent lightning, torrential rain and hail all pushing north. Taking the BBC forecast alone it looks great for our area.

• Like 5

Posted

what we don't want I guess is high level cloud to be pushed over from the storms from France dropping our temps

looks good so far though :) charging camera for tonight :) 

• Like 1

Posted

I think it looks promising for the south - I have a good feeling and there does seem to be upgraded potential on the models this morning.

I need to work out where in London I can get to on the tube, to have a good view.  Any suggestions?

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone know how to stop the bleep when someone else posts?  I want to keep this page open all day but don't want a bleep every time someone posts.

• Like 1

Posted

bleep :)

yeah - agreed the beep is very annoying ! if there is a way to disable ...

Edited by Buckster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
5 minutes ago, jamesthemonkeh said:

I think it looks promising for the south - I have a good feeling and there does seem to be upgraded potential on the models this morning.

I need to work out where in London I can get to on the tube, to have a good view.  Any suggestions?

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone know how to stop the bleep when someone else posts?  I want to keep this page open all day but don't want a bleep every time someone posts.

Have you enabled notifications? if you have try to disable them alternatively if you use firefox just mute the tab

• Like 1

Posted

Hi all, not been on a severe weather forum for many years, newbie here. 

I'm a very keen photographer of all things weather related, mainly, of course, thunderstorms. 

Based in Hailsham, E Sussex, cameras charged and looking forward to a good show tonight from my favourite lookout point at Pevensey Bay (not so crowded with cars there)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

If anything the electrical activity seems to be intensifying around the Channel Islands, if it keeps this up things could get interesting somewhere along the coast in the next few hours. Sunshine is still very hazy here with a lot of high level cloud, hope that doesn't affect things too much.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Have you enabled notifications? if you have try to disable them alternatively if you use firefox just mute the tab

Nope.  I've checked my exceptions and netweather wasn't listed at all.  Added to block to see if that will work.  Maybe I'll just open Firefox for it though - thanks.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms
15 minutes ago, jamesthemonkeh said:

I reckon Crystal Palace or Alexander Palace, they are all on hills and good views and of the heat Island.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm falling increasingly of the view that I should stay home tonight rather than the coast. Just done a sweep of most of the main models and there is a LOT of divergence (albeit only over 50 miles or so lol). Does seem the best overlap of instability and precip outbreak is where I live, whereas the Kent coast boasts highest instability but seemingly lower prospect of storms breaking out.

Will have to make my decision in the next couple of hours :sorry:

• Like 3

Posted
29 minutes ago, jamesthemonkeh said:

If you click on the notifications button at the top of the screen

Capture1.thumb.PNG.3a2fbab2afe22f1b3d27180234f7378a.PNG

Then go down to Notification preferences

Capture2.thumb.PNG.d7a6ffa9764d0925d1100379b9b4e2cc.PNG

You can untick the bleep

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Supacell said:

If you click on the notifications button at the top of the screen

Capture1.thumb.PNG.3a2fbab2afe22f1b3d27180234f7378a.PNG

Then go down to Notification preferences

Capture2.thumb.PNG.d7a6ffa9764d0925d1100379b9b4e2cc.PNG

You can untick the bleep

Beautiful

Interesting how the Met Office's projected rainfall now shows downpours for the south of England around 3/4pm.  Cannot help but think that might inhibit potential developments later in the evening.

qeqwe3.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow
48 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

This is looking better by the hour forecast wise! Out of nowhere, I'm placed in the moderate area!! Just a day or two ago, it was looking as if it would struggle to even get to the south coast. 

Firstly, surely Plymouth can't get round two within a couple of hours, can it..?! ;)

What an exciting period of weather this is! 

I hope so. 

The sun's out and it warm and muggy. Perfect conditions 

Posted

00x 8th June shows temps at 27 and 28 quite widely in England, bit cooler in the North. Might not have to wait long till another spell of thunderstorms perhaps?

8TH JUNE.png

Posted
6 minutes ago, jamesthemonkeh said:

Beautiful

Interesting how the Met Office's projected rainfall now shows downpours for the south of England around 3/4pm.  Cannot help but think that might inhibit potential developments later in the evening.

qeqwe3.JPG

This seems to be a big outlier. If scroll on to 1900 it's all gone. 

Just goes to show how unpredictable things are even at this short range. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jamesthemonkeh said:

Beautiful

qeqwe3.JPG

Seems odd that it's not showing on any forecasts? 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Harry said:

This seems to be a big outlier. If scroll on to 1900 it's all gone. 

Just goes to show how unpredictable things are even at this short range. 

I hope so - Euro4 also shows something similar.  I do like the Met Office's rainfall predictor.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

"+TSRA" between 01z and 06z on Liverpool airport  TAF. Interesting. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms!

So Saturday was a disappointment having woken up at 3am & checked the radar to see a line of storms approaching, I expected to be woken by a rumble of thunder around 6am. In the end it rained heavily for 5 minutes about 6.40am and that was it.

Hoping for some real action tonight, when its dark. I really want to get out onto the top of the costwolds and see some action, but I appear to have my own storm shield, so lets wait....

Edited by Vestan
  • Like 1