Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 27th Feb onwards

Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Really could personally do with storms holding off until the evening, as I'm in London tomorrow. That said, I wouldn't mind a light show on the train home at about 19:00, which actually is a real possibility,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

The BBC forecast looks like nothing but a weak front moving north across NW England into Scotland, weird 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
3 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

If I see a storm tomorrow I'll eat my dog .....

Lol I'll hold you to that; :-) although I might let you off with a hotdog. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

I see that something is already happening to the north west of Ireland.:bomb:
Like wise northern Spain and over the Pyrenees also currently look s quite juicy as well :bomb:

https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en#y=54.5084;x=-5.1094;z=4;t=3;m=sat;r=0;s=0;o=0;b=0.00;n=0;d=2;dl=2;dc=0;

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
9 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

I remember when you sent me a picture of yourself with it..

hqdefault.thumb.jpg.0ddca5f23f19fdafd31071c88abfe292.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
12 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Please don't. :cray:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

PS. Anyone for Sunday eve? Connie_runner.gif

2017-05-26.thumb.png.97d15e1af13cf2297d14811868ea9766.png

Sunday evening and overnight looks more interesting than tomorrow here in the S. 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Sunday evening and overnight looks more interesting than tomorrow here in the S. 

Yap - I agree. I won't get too excited yet though, but still a nice prospect after this wonderful spell of weather. :)

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

I see that something is already happening to the north west of Ireland.:bomb:
Like wise northern Spain and over the Pyrenees also currently look s quite juicy as well :bomb:

https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en#y=54.5084;x=-5.1094;z=4;t=3;m=sat;r=0;s=0;o=0;b=0.00;n=0;d=2;dl=2;dc=0;

The pyrenees seem to be a sweet spot this time of year. I had a very bumpy ride across the top of some very bumpy stacks on my way back from Barca earlier this week. Sadly too high to see any action

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

I'd say updates and modifications to this are going to be necessary with the situation over the next few days. Anyhow, here's what I'm seeing during this evening and early tomorrow;

E1xVrpq.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Severe thunderstorms possible tomorrow

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Sat 27 May 2017 - 05:59 UTC Sun 28 May 2017

ISSUED 17:41 UTC Fri 26 May 2017

ISSUED BY: Dan

Aloft, a shortwave trough will track NE-wards on Saturday across the British Isles, atop an airmass of high WBPT. Some uncertainty remains about the exact convective evolution during this period, but we outline 3 potential rounds of notable convection:

... ELEVATED CONVECTION SATURDAY MORNING ...

It is likely that some elements of elevated deep convection will be present at the beginning of the forecast period over portions of Wales, SW + CS England. This will continue to migrate NE-wards during the morning hours, but with large uncertainty over coverage of lightning, and probably tending to fragment with time - hence some southern sections of the SLGT may remain lightning-free.

... SURFACE-BASED CONVECTION LATE MORNING / EARLY AFTERNOON ...

Early elevated convection may gradually become rooted in the boundary layer and / or new surface-based thunderstorms may develop as the trough axis continues to move NE through the day - this most likely to occur over northern and eastern England assuming there is sufficient preceding heating during Saturday morning. Large CAPE and sufficient shear would suggest the risk of large hail greater than 2.0cm in diameter, frequent lightning and strong, gusty winds will be possible with these storms, hence the inclusion of a SVR. However, it is worth noting not every location will necessarily be affected by a thunderstorm, but those that do occur have the potential to be severe. Given backed surface winds, some scope for a tornado will exist - but perhaps mitigated by relatively high cloud bases in general.

... SURFACE-BASED CONVECTION AFTERNOON / EARLY EVENING ...

Behind the trough axis, profiles become very dry aloft but with high dewpoint air remaining near the surface until the shallow cold front moves through later in the day. Provided some upper support and a return to strong insolation in the afternoon, a new round of surface-based thunderstorms will be possible - some perhaps severe. The exact location will be dependent on the eventual shape of the surface low over Northern Ireland, but general trends would suggest this potential new round of thunderstorms is most likely over northern England, perhaps moving into S Scotland by evening. These areas may require an upgrade to MDT given coverage from a couple round of thunderstorms, but given the uncertainties at present we will refrain for now. Farther south, very dry profiles and weaker upper forcing may limit the potential for any afternoon/evening thunderstorms.

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2017-05-27

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

The SW best chances are in the early hours before the main activity kicks off later on Saturday further N and E. 

18698109_1337445769708654_3170108909576614949_n.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Looked at the met office weather warning for my area for late sunday and was quite inspired...followed by the bbc weather forcast to be met with u usual wafty graphics...although I understand detail is hard to pin down..their graphics really don't help...anyone else find this?...in any case good luck to everyone...hope u get some humdingers...oh now I've really jinxed it...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Got to say it, this is looking nigh on a carbon copy of June 2012! Very similar charts and timings too. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Got to say it, this is looking nigh on a carbon copy of June 2012! Very similar charts and timings too. 

I was thinking the same thing!

There could be some fresh 'Hinckley Hail' videos on YouTube tomorrow. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
Just now, Mapantz said:

I was thinking the same thing!

There could be some fresh 'Hinckley Hail' videos on YouTube tomorrow. 

Hopefully! Although my friend who is from Burbage just next to Hinckley had to have his whole conservatory renewed as a result!! So a few thoughts will be spared if we do see things like that again! 

Now if the same thing happens just 30 miles further south, I will be going nutty!! It's going to be a long night tonight! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Wow sferics nearby. Must be anaprop.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

A bit of agreement now between the high res models for tonight, although still some differences between them for tomorrow. Euro 4 has dropped its idea of a bone dry England.

Posted
10 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

To be honest it does doesn't it. The early elevated storms in the SW moving NE and becoming surface based under ideal severe thunderstorm parameters whilst another round of storms develop over N England and push NE.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Euro 4 is still struggling to give much main for most of England and Wales

17052718_2612.thumb.gif.5fa87b7c5651834f9ef236a5a76382b4.gif

This is for late afternoon. Earlier on it shows some rain. It appears to move everything through a bit faster than some of the other models (hence it being dry by 3pm)

17052712_2612.thumb.gif.e3a02dec97f815a3de370ca18c435996.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
Just now, Supacell said:

This is for late afternoon. Earlier on it shows some rain. It appears to move everything through a bit faster than some of the other models (hence it being dry by 3pm)

17052712_2612.thumb.gif.e3a02dec97f815a3de370ca18c435996.gif

Oops thought I had it on the accumulation one

:sorry:

• Like 1