Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 27th Feb onwards

Nick F

Posted

Just about see the southern tower towards Holmfirth through a break in the clouds, looking beefy and continually building.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
7 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Just about see the southern tower towards Holmfirth through a break in the clouds, looking beefy and continually building.

Yes,can just see it to my NW

DSC01337.thumb.JPG.3a924c3ed883fa2e042f94d95338fec5.JPG

• Like 4

Posted

There is another clump of CB's i can see in the distance developing and another cell looks like it is popping up there

api.meteoradar_co_uk.thumb.jpg.c556c0a0cfed834ad984696b04fd8b3e.jpg

Posted

Oh well,it looked promising but managed to get a panno of it and a nice sunset:)

DSC01338.thumb.JPG.92116b510f0d2c4ab5ff7db80666328c.JPG

DSC01341.thumb.JPG.dbc79755a7c62e60071639f35f34490e.JPG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Although a sunny and blustery evening here in North East Wales, looking over towards the Pennines... :bomb:

Although unlikely to go bang this evening, it's still a step in the right direction. :good:

IMG_1156.JPG

• Like 3

Posted

Long time lurker who decided to join the fun!

Eyeing up the risk of storms this weekend around the Bristol area. 52% is a good chance in my eyes. Obviously might change before we get to the weekend but would be nice to get some whilst I am kicking around at home.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Things aren't looking particularly great at this stage, following the hype that the charts a few days ago were generating. Of course that was to be expected though. At the moment, it is looking like parts of the country may see a possible breakdown to heavy rain, without much lightning activity.

Hopefully we see a few upgrades in the next couple of days, or at least retain the currently forecast parameters, to at least see some activity somewhere!

Edited by Convective

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
18 hours ago, Harry said:

You must be quite a bit younger than me - for me, 2007-2012 were AWFUL. 

Last few years have been reasonable in my view, although I do nip down the Kent coast now and then during plumes so maybe my recollections are skewed a little bit.

Either way, I'm on your side in hoping for lots and lots of storms :D

Hi Harry. I'm in my late thirties and can remember a ton of great storms in the 80's, 90's and 00's but don't ever recall a year as bad as 2016! Yes, I think you were better placed on the kent coast to pick up any imports during the plumes last year. Back here there was nothing except heat, sweat and did I mention more unbearable sticky heat?! Lets hope for a decent few months ahead as the summer starts to move in. :)

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
1 hour ago, Jasper Foxx said:

Eyeing up the risk of storms this weekend around the Bristol area. 52% is a good chance in my eyes. Obviously might change before we get to the weekend but would be nice to get some whilst I am kicking around at home.

Welcome friend. I'm taking things with a pinch of salt at the moment until nearer the time as these things can change rapidly, but nothing wrong with hoping! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
1 hour ago, Jasper Foxx said:

Good to see another Bristolian, joining in on the action, welcome!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Welcome aboard, Jasper. I hope the unpredictable British weather goes in your favour! :) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Out testing "glass" in Sussex earlier this week. No storms but some nice Clouds in (Crawley) Sussex...

DSC_6471

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Clearly a lot of uncertainty about this coming weekend - only yesterday the models were suggesting 30C Saturday/Sunday, now 27C Saturday 24C Sunday.

I anticipate thundery modelling will therefore be typically variable (as it is currently).

Looks as if much of thundery plume (based on current modelling) will stay over the continent. Literally right up to the north France coast, very high instability is modelled, whereas just across the Channel very little at all (could all change!)

Edited by Harry

Posted
14 minutes ago, Harry said:

Clearly a lot of uncertainty about this coming weekend - only yesterday the models were suggesting 30C Saturday/Sunday, now 27C Saturday 24C Sunday.

I anticipate thundery modelling will therefore be typically variable (as it is currently).

Looks as if much of thundery plume (based on current modelling) will stay over the continent. Literally right up to the north France coast, very high instability is modelled, whereas just across the Channel very little at all (could all change!)

Sounds about right! To be honest though I'd welcome cooler conditions. As much as I'd like a good storm, if its not going to produce then I'd rather have a fresher feel without that horrible humidity and heat (but nothing to show for it).

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 1

Posted
16 hours ago, Steve Shears said:

Out testing "glass" in Sussex earlier this week. No storms but some nice Clouds in (Crawley) Sussex...

DSC_6471

Welcome to the forums. :)

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

What is preventing any storms from taking place today? 

Don't think there was any storms forecast for today? Pressure is high for a start

Posted

I'm gutted that it looks likea line of nasty showers could move through on Saturday - I'm getting married in Knutsford then, and all week it's been showing it to be nice. I just hope by some miracle they miss us, or they are delayed by 6-12 hours!

Posted
20 hours ago, Steve Shears said:

DSC_6471

Welcome to the forum. Looks like a Class 387....oh...er...I mean.....trains, how sad. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Looks like we will miss out on Saturday with most of any activity just skirting us.