Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 27th Feb onwards

Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Not a bad looking day so far. Good to see the sun getting to work nice and early. 

Then next week into the weekend is looking quite plumetastic on the latest runs :D. Infact, the ECM resembles something from late May 1999! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Keeping my fingers crossed for some action today! Seems like widespread feature will move east later.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes this afternoon looks promising inland for convection and some heavy showers bubbling up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

And it's still raining and thundering in Rome!

Lots of cloud around here this morning so not so much insolation. Fingers crossed for later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Hail shower here currently

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Typical spring day here so far. Sun's been in and out, but it doesn't feel humid outside at all. Not sure of our chances here today... 

Posted

Cloudy here with very light rain so far hoping the sun can break through later and something happens here after yesterday's disappointment. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Off to Rome on Monday Then Florence on Thursday. According to the early forecasts no storms in sight, and would you believe it a potential plume scenario back here in the uk! :wallbash:

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Off to Rome on Monday Then Florence on Thursday. According to the early forecasts no storms in sight, and would you believe it a potential plume scenario back here in the uk! :wallbash:

I feel your pain flash. Last summer I was abroad and I was getting a torturing by watching a storm on blitzortung belting out 160 strikes per minute over my house and seeing the hail and lightning littered all over social media while I was getting sunburnt to a crisp! It is literally the worst feeling ever. Always happens to me!! 

Choose carefully when to holiday! September in the Balearics, or places like Florida, Singapore and even France will usually treat you to some decent stuff :wink:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
12 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

I feel your pain flash. Last summer I was abroad and I was getting a torturing by watching a storm on blitzortung belting out 160 strikes per minute over my house and seeing the hail and lightning littered all over social media while I was getting sunburnt to a crisp! It is literally the worst feeling ever. Always happens to me!! 

Choose carefully when to holiday! September in the Balearics, or places like Florida, Singapore and even France will usually treat you to some decent stuff :wink:

All this talk is frightening me. I am in Germany through the middle of June :/

As to the here and now, it has become cloudy and wet with some light to moderate rain. Not sure now if the potential storms are to come ahead of or behind this current muck from the occlusion. If it is ahead then I need to get east and quick!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

I don't know if anyone else uses this site, but it's nice looking at storm reports across europe and there are some great pictures too! I see there were 2 funnel reports in the UK yesterday
https://www.eustormmap.com/

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, Supacell said:

All this talk is frightening me. I am in Germany through the middle of June :/

As to the here and now, it has become cloudy and wet with some light to moderate rain. Not sure now if the potential storms are to come ahead of or behind this current muck from the occlusion. If it is ahead then I need to get east and quick!

Not sure with this one. Tricky setup today. I think the timings have been wrong yet again. Had this front have been just entering Wales now instead of this morning, we could've got much better surface conditions and higher instability. 

Oh yeah, I wouldn't worry if you're going to Germany. They always have and will beat us when it comes to storms. Some of them over there really are quite impressive too. 

Posted
4 hours ago, Supacell said:

Already a couple of sferics around the UK. One near to Eastbourne, one just off the coast of South Devon and a small storm has broken out just to the west of Gretna Green. Not bad for just 8 in the morning. Currently the forecasts are for widespread heavy showers and one or two thunderstorms across the UK today. The focus for these looks to be along an eastward moving occlusion which is already affecting Wales. The problem with today is how fast the best instability gets pushed away to the east. Most charts show CAPE being high enough to produce some thunderstorms later this morning and during the afternoon with the risk starting across the western side of the UK and pushing east.

Here in Belper it is currently crystal clear blue skies and so a better start than yesterday.

Yep, woken by heavy rain shortly after 7am then heard thunder in the distance a short time later!

IMG_7520.PNG

Edited by Callie
Auto spelling error
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Looked outside about 11am and saw some nice cauliflowers and towers going up. Just had a moderate shower here that last 10-15 minutes and now the suns out again. Can see a developing cell to my northwest (which is tracking northeastward) and cauliflowers to my south. Not overly hot or humid feeling, just nice/comfortable at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Saw this online taken after the storm in Winchester yesterday. 

IMG_0359.JPG

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Line of storms now starting to form west of Wolverhampton and south from there.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Looks like we have a developing squall line over northwest london on radar.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Looking a little bit dark to the W and NW but only seems to be light rain on radar. Lot of nowcasting to be done today, I'd say.

Posted

Another shower just arrived here. Moderate - heavy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Not sure with this one. Tricky setup today. I think the timings have been wrong yet again. Had this front have been just entering Wales now instead of this morning, we could've got much better surface conditions and higher instability.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't worry if you're going to Germany. They always have and will beat us when it comes to storms. Some of them over there really are quite impressive too.

I am quietly keeping my fingers crossed for some storm action whilst in Germany. If there is I plan on hiring a car and chasing over there.

Today I have made the decision to head east, currently sat at M1 services at Woodall. My plan is to head towards North Lincolnshire as this is where the highest CAPE is forecast later. Luckily the band of crud is breaking up into showers so I have my fingers crossed.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Yes Matty..noticed some heavier echoes coming into our area from the SW

Posted

Showers stopped now and sunny again. Developing cell directly to my west. Looking pretty dark to my northwest and small bits of scud are starting to form over there.

Posted

Heavy rain here currently.