Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 27th Feb onwards

Nick F

Posted

Surprisingly no showers yet here in my part of the lowlands been a lovely day bit unexpected

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Been raining here for about an hour now, getting slightly heavier now. Nothing compared to what Damone has had though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Steady rain here now for an hour, looks like another soaking coming up for this part of the UK. Is there thundery potential? Doesn't look like it to me but there are far more experienced people on here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Really doesn't look like it at all imo. Just rain, heavy at times. I can't see any cells in amongst that wet mess. No potential there imo. Ireland got some action this afternoon though by the looks of it with several small cells tracking northwards.

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
5 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Really doesn't look like it at all imo. Just rain, heavy at times. I can't see any cells in amongst that wet mess. No potential there imo. Ireland got some action this afternoon though by the looks of it with several small cells tracking northwards.

Didn't think so, all looks a bit messy and it isn't warm at all. If it was 10C warmer then could be a very different story. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

A mid level convergence zone to the N of Birmingham seems to be pepping up some of the cells up there

Nothing forecast but worth keeping an eye on....the skies above the city are crazy atm

IMG_9344.thumb.JPG.3dd04520fe5c61c23d5b2598eb0419b3.JPG

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.
1 hour ago, Arnie Pie said:

A mid level convergence zone to the N of Birmingham seems to be pepping up some of the cells up there

Nothing forecast but worth keeping an eye on....the skies above the city are crazy atm

IMG_9344.thumb.JPG.3dd04520fe5c61c23d5b2598eb0419b3.JPG

Good to see you back and posting those sort of cam snaps again :)

But can see that south of me here in Walsall too but missing out by a couple of miles..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

The convergence is also setting up showers close to me pity we lost the higher temperatures it might have been interesting otherwise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Kent clipper possible? There's a storm heading for the Calais area that looks due N. Places like Dover, Deal and Margate could be in the game for a few rumbles soon.. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Some very stormy clouds directly overhead here 

IMG_0486.thumb.JPG.afd71235f99af2c6849cc9892ebb5d29.JPGIMG_0487.thumb.JPG.1e78599114955c084814cdb264fcc90b.JPGIMG_0488.thumb.JPG.3c08350667f11b216986c553887f6ad8.JPGIMG_0489.thumb.JPG.10b2606bf0f8fccd074fec5cf880d755.JPG

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

The upcoming two days look like they could have some interest with at least some CAPE being forecast and this combining with around 60-80 knots of deep layer shear. Possibly some thunderstorms around, which look more likely across the south, west and Midlands tomorrow and then the north and east on Saturday. The risk areas, and whether there actually is a risk, seems to be changing from run to run though so this is just a heads up. Where any heavy showers and thunderstorms can form then I would expect they have the ability to last for a length of time and be quite slow moving, this leading to the risk of some localised flooding where they do occur. From a storm chasers point of view this would be ideal if it came off.

Then, Monday afternoon/evening has caught my eye but it is a long way off yet.

• Like 1

Posted
53 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Kent clipper possible? There's a storm heading for the Calais area that looks due N. Places like Dover, Deal and Margate could be in the game for a few rumbles soon.. 

I was hoping for this, but after an hour of heavy rain, I think it's unlikely the storm aspect will make it across the channel. A shame, as I love some good T&L, but it's early doors this summer.

Posted
3 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Didn't think so, all looks a bit messy and it isn't warm at all. If it was 10C warmer then could be a very different story. 

Yeah, too cold for anything more than rain I feel. Still, I've been enjoying the heavy rain. It's been ages since I've last seen any and I love that cozy feeling when you're wrapped up indoors or in a car and can hear the rain pounding down outside. Very relaxing.

Looking ahead, netweather were predicting a convective weekend earlier in the week. Not sure if thats changed at all, I haven't seen the latest forecast yet, but if it's still accurate we might be in with a chance.

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold , snow . Hot sunny

Some places are really getting a soaking , looking at the radar these heavy showers are not moving very far at all 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Sferics near Welshpool. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
30 minutes ago, Supacell said:

The upcoming two days look like they could have some interest with at least some CAPE being forecast and this combining with around 60-80 knots of deep layer shear. Possibly some thunderstorms around, which look more likely across the south, west and Midlands tomorrow and then the north and east on Saturday. The risk areas, and whether there actually is a risk, seems to be changing from run to run though so this is just a heads up. Where any heavy showers and thunderstorms can form then I would expect they have the ability to last for a length of time and be quite slow moving, this leading to the risk of some localised flooding where they do occur. From a storm chasers point of view this would be ideal if it came off.

Then, Monday afternoon/evening has caught my eye but it is a long way off yet.

Yes I've noticed this too. A bonus when you get wind shear added in amongst the CAPE as it increases the longevity of the storm. Possible decent storm outbreak around Monday too? The further north that warm air gets out of the continent, the better. 

• Like 2

Posted

Looking at Sat24 and Blitzortung, I'm still not prepared to rule out the schwiftyest of Kent clippers in an hour or two. I think we lack the low level warmth and the freshest lightning seems to be on the eastern extremes of the system, but I'm an eternal optimist when it comes to thunderstorms. Usually end up dissapointed though haha!

Any takers? Please just shoot me down!

Edited by Ellozee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

I'm not sure, that storm in France does seem to have quite a bit of momentum behind it, we might get a rumble or two in the extreme East of Kent

Actually, not so sure, it seems to be heading NE towards Belgium now...

Edited by Jcweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Could have sworn I've just heard distant thunder coming from the Wrexham area.:unknw:

IMG_0818.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

... Bit too far away (and too long ago) if I'm being honest. :sorry:

IMG_0821.PNG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
26 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Could have sworn I've just heard distant thunder coming from the Wrexham area.:unknw:

IMG_0818.JPG

Nope...wasn't here. Didn't hear anything either.

Posted

Estofex gives us a level 1 and 50% lightning risk :)

Estofex.thumb.png.c6e43edc41bd5ad81d846ba9420c94d1.png

Full forecast at www.estofex.org/

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 4

Posted
On 16/05/2017 at 20:26, Jcweather said:

Been very humid all day today, with some unstable looking skies. Thinking that anything electrical tomorrow will be a Kent Clipper and that here will just be rain, but we shall see! 

I'll be in Bedford tomorrow - hopefully prime position for some stormage :D

• Like 2