Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 27th Feb onwards

Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

South of london could kick off big time,there is cells popping up all over down there.

nice photo's Noahjoe:D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I've been chasing around Ross/Hereford and am now not far from Tenbury Wells. There have been a handful of flashes and rumbles but not as much as I had hoped. Most impressive thing was the rain, which was very intense. No visible CG's or IC's, all sheet lightning and not that many of them. Still, it's a successful start to the season for me in the regards that I got under a storm.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
5 minutes ago, Supacell said:

I've been chasing around Ross/Hereford and am now not far from Tenbury Wells. There have been a handful of flashes and rumbles but not as much as I had hoped. Most impressive thing was the rain, which was very intense. No visible CG's or IC's, all sheet lightning and not that many of them. Still, it's a successful start to the season for me in the regards that I got under a storm.

Not too far away from you.....I'm near Stourport but apart from some heavy rain, not a lot to report 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

New cell just fired North of Malmesbury heading nne towards Gloucester.....I'm going after that one

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
7 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

New cell just fired North of Malmesbury heading nne towards Gloucester.....I'm going after that one

Good luck mate.

The imports approaching london are intensifying. Definitely seems to be convergence happening to the south east. Canterbury's about to get swamped!

Edited by Windblade

Posted

Yeah, the ones to the west of London seem to be decaying now. The Newbury cell just skirted me, and all I've got is a small shower of nice big raindrops. Looking to what's developing in the Ascot area. Tracking the right way, but might not deliver t and l

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
24 minutes ago, Supacell said:

not a fan of thunderstorms in my local vicinity (l dislike having to disconnect all my sensitive equipment), but l heard thunder in the distance, according to the lightning app closest strike was 4miles away from Hereford.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

The most threatening it's looked here all day which says a lot about how it's been. 

IMG_0312.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
2 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Humidity steadily climbing here and winds now variable but light.Very dark to my south

Sounds ominous (in a good way!).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
24 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

you have lift off:D

Posted

Heavy showers developing in a line roughly stretching from Brighton to Oxford (is it a CZ??) with patchy more general rain following behind. The M4 seems to be doing a good job of taming them though. Think we're just going to have a damp, sticky night here. Good luck chasers!

Posted
11 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

The only long lived stuff is in wales or France. Nothing worth fighting the traffic for anywhere else

Not sure. Some really heavy stuff, but no electrical activity for quite some time. Is it possible there's just not enough energy left at this time of the day in spring?

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I wish we could have forecasts to get excited about . This is all turning out to be a little bit naff in our area.

have a feeling that's it - temperature dropping a bit now

luckily I'm about 4 miles from home :wink:

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc

Posted

I dunno man, I was excited by the forecast. There was potential there, even if it came a bit late in the day for some. I think it was bang on the money for the western areas. I just hope that's not it for months now (like 2016, which I look back on with much disgruntlement).

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

The import over Kent seems to be weakening. Hasn't put out anything electrical for ages. Think that was my only hope (albeit slim) for tonight. Calling it a bust. 

Posted

Yeah, I must admit I'm inclined to agree. All electrical activity from the squall line seems to have died over the channel which is a shame as it was looking good there for a while.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Some weird jellyfish looking clouds to my S/SE. Also I am hoping the London heat island effect might give the showers a boost, but I am not overly optimistic. 

image.jpeg

Edited by Mesoscale

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
14 minutes ago, Windblade said:

I dunno man, I was excited by the forecast. There was potential there, even if it came a bit late in the day for some. I think it was bang on the money for the western areas. I just hope that's not it for months now (like 2016, which I look back on with much disgruntlement).

Yeah that's what's niggling me - have to cling onto every tiny chance

Posted
8 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Yeah that's what's niggling me - have to cling onto every tiny chance

Ah, I see. Yeah, I'm with you on that. I just hope we get some decent activity over the next few months. We're still owed from 2016.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

A bit lacklustre in the lightning department to be honest, but I don't think that was unexpected and the forecasts made were almost spot on in my opinion, especially the Netweather SR model in terms of precipitation. It can be easy to read it as more widespread due to the resolution of some models, but in reality it is always a nowcast situation keeping an eye on the radars.