Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 27th Feb onwards

Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

590092ce91ef1_North1.thumb.jpg.31c06e9a40a37d4e0f5cca81ede0ed73.jpg North ten minutes ago

590092cf8aa45_North2.thumb.jpg.ef5b91cad38d18cd4d765ea36bdac279.jpgNorth five minutes ago

590092d09dee2_SouthEast.thumb.jpg.cc3b53345cfb655d870aa27a5570650e.jpgSouth East

West.thumb.jpg.21a9116710080095239dc04dd044fbbf.jpg West

Developing cells in every direction. Getting increasingly dark here...

Edit - the wind has just got up as well and getting even darker. :)

And as I type we got hail. 

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Meanwhile I see things continue to flash and rumble away in Norfolk. They've had a very active day so far.

Posted

Big flash and crack of very loud thunder just now to my south! I'm out of the no storms club, plus my first spark of 2017. So happy! :):):)

Edit, so that cell has passed south, but there is another huge cell to the north and another massive cell directly to the west. I think we may get the north cell to come over as its blowing this way...

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 3

Posted

Got hail again. Just started. Its being blown on the wind from the approaching northern cell which is almost here.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

There's been some nice clouds about again, but no showers. This unsettled spell is turning out to be quite settled here - until maybe later. yes.gif

Posted

Absolutely black to my southwest now. Sadly moving away, though I'm still hopeful the northern cell will light up.

Posted
17 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

There's been some nice clouds about again, but no showers. This unsettled spell is turning out to be quite settled here - until maybe later. yes.gif

Sadly not much activity around on radar down dorset way today. A few small showers to the south but nothing noteworthy so far. :(

Posted
5 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Sadly not much activity around on radar down dorset way today. A few small showers to the south but nothing noteworthy so far. :(

That's why I said maybe later. In these sorts of set ups, it is usually late afternoon/early evening that something either crops up close by, or makes its way here. 850hPa winds show a slight steering from NE to SW.

View from my webcam:

2017-04-26.thumb.png.e554ee319abeae0bb57e02013651aaf3.png

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

Hope you get something mate. It seems once again a very hit and miss day with loads of small cells popping up and just pot luck if one comes over you. Dorset not having as much activity but maybe this evening you could get something as you say. Just doesn't seem to be much convection around there at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Just like yesterday, though today's clouds look more exciting, we have next-to-nothing!

Posted

All electrical activity seems to have died off. Even the norfolk storms that have been going all day have stopped firing. Maybe things will pick up later on this evening as the cloud tops cool? Also, the huge cell that was to my north has drifted south west. Looks like that single spark earlier could well be it for me today but lets wait and see if anything develops in the next few hours. Still lots of showers around...

Edited by Windblade

Posted
12 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Just doesn't seem to be much convection around there at the moment.

Plenty of convection going on here, trust me. It might not be rampant, but it's going on! lol

P4260235.thumb.JPG.49c3ca038ead1514f70cef3035020e98.JPG P4260234.thumb.JPG.db473b350cb6b3c9037a69fb8f52d2f0.JPG

A shower has cropped up to the West of me:

P4260237.thumb.JPG.ddfc22d43c2026d324fa68b7d9b2e255.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Just had a few spots of rain here with blue skies overhead at the time. Clouded over a bit more now although still not looking that threatening.

Edited by matt111

Posted
7 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Plenty of convection going on here, trust me. It might not be rampant, but it's going on! lol

P4260235.thumb.JPG.49c3ca038ead1514f70cef3035020e98.JPG P4260234.thumb.JPG.db473b350cb6b3c9037a69fb8f52d2f0.JPG

A shower has cropped up to the West of me:

P4260237.thumb.JPG.ddfc22d43c2026d324fa68b7d9b2e255.JPG

Ah, ok. Yeah, I'm just seeing the rain on netweathers radar which doesn't show clouds! Some nice looking skies there and rainbands in that bottom pic.

Edited by Windblade

Posted

Just got very dark, started raining and another rumble! :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lighting and sunshine
9 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Just got very dark, started raining and another rumble! :yahoo:

Good things come to those who have waited.  The strong sunlight is looking promising

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Still nothing much happening here although at least it looks more threathening now. 

IMG_0263.JPG

IMG_0264.JPG

Posted

Nice pics Matt.

As I came home I could see the sky over london just absolutely black. It started hailing again (third time today) really heavily. There might have been some thunder, but I couldn't tell as its difficult to hear it inside the car. 

I've been waiting for a proper day of april showers all month. Today was that day. :)

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

some heavy hail and rain showers today near Daventry

20170426_181807_zpsfxag7nmw.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Not so many showers today except now as its tipping it down with hail/sleet leaving a slushy covering on the cars and grass.

Had this view earlier:

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

First lightning of 2017 observed. A few CG strikes to the SE. Too far away for audible thunder.

• Like 1

Posted

Sheffield taking a pounding. Nice looking storm on radar. Damp and cold here in kent. :(

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
1 hour ago, Windblade said:

Sheffield taking a pounding. Nice looking storm on radar. Damp and cold here in kent. :(

No storm just a little bit of rain.