Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2016-2017 summaries and overviews

damianslaw

Posted

Meteorological winter defined as Dec-Feb ends on Tuesday, though we can still see wintry conditions at anytime in March and on occasion April as well..

Use this thread to post your summaries, statistics etc, and general thoughts and opinions of the winter just gone. CET wise another very mild one, not on a par with last year, but I think up there in the top 12.. anyone verify this. Its also been a very dry winter, so an unusual combination dry and mild, last similiar type winter was 91/92. 

From a Lake District perspective, most notable feature has been the persistant benign dry settled conditions,especially on the back of the exceptionally wet wild winter that was 15/16 and also the equally wet winter of 13/14, winter 14/15 was also persistantly unsettled though nearer average temp wise. So in this respect very refreshing and quite unusual feeling, indeed it hasn't felt like we've had a winter this year namely because there has been hardly any very wet or windy weather to speak of.

Once again another abysmal year snow - wise, not one morning with snow cover, other than a slight sprinkle, yes we've had a few days with snowflakes in the air, more than last year, but at least last winter delivered one decent snowfall with a morning of snow to play in. Its been on a par with the dismal rotten winter of 13/14 in this respect. Winter 17/18 you must do better on the snowfall front!

Sunshine wise, a preety dull one overall. 

Posted

Oh dear, this thread hasn't been much of a hit.. had hoped for a few more posts at least.. alas thanks to snowfall overnight, I can pleasingly say this winter will not go down as one without any snow cover at 9am, though we only had a skittering of snow on most surfaces it was a joy to see, and occuring on the last day of the meteorological winter as well. Interestingly there are hallmarks to winter 05/06 beginning to take place, synoptics most conducive the cold conditions sustaining occuring outside of the three winter months, i.e. in November and March instead. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Some reasonable cold and a decent number of frosts, but in terms of snow it is up there as one of the worst. Dire.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
On 26/02/2017 at 22:20, mountain shadow said:

Bar a few days, I can sum up my Winter in 5 words.....

I can cut it down to one word.....

Forgettable

We started off with a few pretty harsh frosts but since then the same theme as elsewhere i.e. calm, mild and dry. It's not been completely snow-less here, but only really a handful of days where we've had falling or lying snow and I don't think we've had more than a cm of snow lie, and that was gone quickly. In fact, I'm sure the persistent hoar frost was deeper early winter.

The main consolation, if it is one, is that at least it's not been unrelentingly wet. I hope we're not going to suffer a 'balancing out' on that during the Summer.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

Winter over?? I’m still waiting for it to start….. lol

Whilst its been better than the preceding 3-4 winters, its still been massively underwhelming – especially as November had quite a few frosts, and it looked as if we could be in for a colder winter. The ‘non event’ in January just summed the winter up; promised a lot – delivered nothing. Even Monday was underwhelming.

The only slight consolation has been the absence of winds and storms…which has enabled me to get out on my bike.

For us in this part of the North West it’s over 4 years since we had a proper decent covering of snow.

Posted

Temp / Rainfall / Sunshine

December: 6.4C (+1.7C) / 24.6mm (39%) / 73hrs (140%)
January: 4.1C (-0.3C) / 43.0mm (76%) / 60hrs (105%)
February: 6.4C (+1.8C) / 71.8mm (169%) / 59hrs (74%)

Winter: 5.7C (+1.1C) / 139.4mm (86%) / 192hrs (102%)

Winter Index: 26.1 (Since 1987, 22 winters have been better and 7 worse).

There was no measurable lying snow yet again, meaning it is now 50 months since it was last seen. The winter managed one 'snow lying at 0900' day, though this was a half cover in January which lasted two hours. Snow fell on two days in January and four days in February, with December now being snowless for four consecutive years. The winter had a below average number of air frosts, with five in December, eight in January and only one in February. The only day with gales recorded was 23rd December, with a max gust of 41mph. January and February only managed 36mph and 37mph between them. What frosts there were weren't very hard. Only two days recorded a temperature below -2C. We've now only had one day colder than -3C since January 2013.

Overall there isn't much to say. It was milder and drier than normal with average sunshine overall. Very little of interest occurred throughout the whole winter. Unless we see some measurable lying snow in March or April then we're pretty much guaranteed to go a full five years without any, which is unprecedented here. One to forget, which in reality won't be hard at all!

• Like 1

Posted

Only 1 air frost in Feb!

• Like 1

Posted

The 2016-2017 winter summary for Cantley, Doncaster

Temperatures

Mean=5.9

Avge Max=8.3

Avge Min=3.5

Rainfall=103.8 mm

Snow= 3 days falling none lying: avge=7 falling and 7 lying

Air frosts=14: average=23

Ground frosts=30: average=39

Thunder and hail=nil : average=3 for thunder

Fog=3 (at 9am clock time) : average=7+

1-Cantley weather summary for January 2017.doc

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

I thought winter 2016/17 was just as bad as last winter when it came to cold and snow. Over 40% of the days of the winter i recorded temps in double figures which is similar to what i recorded last winter. It was a rather cloudy winter here. The only good thing i can say about the winter was at least there wasnt many storms and little or no flooding.

The number of days with snow falling here was 4,got a brief dusting on the 12th of jan and that was my snowcover for winter 2016/17 lol.

14 airfrosts

Coldest min a pathetic -1.8c on the 3rd jan (last winter it was -2.4c)

coldest max temp 3.1c on the 13th of jan (last winter it was 3.7c)

Warmest temp 14.7c in the 7th of dec (last yr winter it was 14.5c)

Posted

Days with snow falling: 8

Days with snow lying (>50%@0900) 1

Max depth 1cm on 13th Jan

Better than 2015/16 for snow (none lying and only 3 days falling in the DJF months) but still not recorded more than 1cm since March 2013.

March 2013: 6 days lying snow

Since March 2013: 5 days lying snow.

I also note days with snow lying at 1200: of these there has been only one (14 Jan 2015) since March 2013. None again this year, yet again snow cover if it manages to establish was short lived.

To think I was a bit disappointed with March 2013 at the time (I got 10cm when some places 20-30 miles away got at least double that): I take it back, it was a good month! March 2013, you are forgiven, please can the punishment end!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

normal winter really for 2000+, all I expect is 3 months of zonality, few breaks this season, but generally mild, snow free and no real cold, typical again of TMW, snow I had was 1cm, and gone by 11am

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

No snow at all - and bar a higher than usual number of windscreen scraping mornings compared to the last few winters, very disappointing. Have seen no snow now for 4 years.

The loss of arctic sea ice for me is a critical factor. Even taking into account a descent towards a solar minimum (which ought to help over the next few years....) winters are becoming very sobering. We seem unable to get proper high lat blocking (though 2009 - 2012 in the last minimum did produce interest) and a warmer arctic in general means less depth of cold to tap into. 

I think we will have cold winters in the future - but they will be few and far between. That assumes there isnt a future feedback to falling arctic sea ice that the models havent spotted yet.... 

Edited by Catacol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, the very hot and the very cold.
3 minutes ago, Catacol said:

No snow at all - and bar a higher than usual number if windscreen scraping mornings compared to the last few winters, very disappointing. Have seen no snow now for 4 years.

Great input this year, catacol.! 

• Like 2

Posted

A winter similar to 1987-88 but dryer and better than that year in terms of frosts and easterly with freezing fog and some snow.

4/10.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

A mostly boring uneventful winter. A very mild December was followed by a more average Jan then a mild Feb. December and January very dry giving a shot of getting the 2nd driest winter we've recorded but an average Feb rainfall wise snuffed that out with the winter ending up the 6th driest.

Only two storms hit the region One day hitting 68 mph in January and 71 mph on the 24th. Snow fell on 5 days in February but failed to really settle at all. Snow fell on two days in Jan failing to lie and zero fell in December.

Another notable feature was a lack of cold nights -3.5C in Jan and -1.2C in Feb were the lows.

Overall a poor uneventful winter with only a few days of interest. 2/10 that's for the two windy days we got.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Ah yes, Winter! I believe we had one of those 4 years ago... 

• Like 2