Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Ewan - Atlantic Storm 5

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Met Eireann have named the 5th storm of the season Storm Ewan is due tomorrow into Monday

The met office have issued a yellow wind warning

Issued at: 18:04 on Sat 25 Feb 2017

Valid from: 11:00 on Sun 26 Feb 2017

Valid to: 06:00 on Mon 27 Feb 2017

A small area of very strong winds is likely to move northeastwards over parts of the northwestern half of the UK. The area of strongest winds will arrive over northwest Wales late on Sunday morning and clear the northeast of Scotland on Monday morning. For many a short period of gusty winds are likely with speeds perhaps reaching 70 mph in exposed locations whilst inland parts are more likely to see isolated gusts of 50-60 mph. Some disruption to transport is possible. Heavy rain may also prove an additional hazard.

An area of low pressure is expected to begin developing to the west of the Republic of Ireland on Sunday morning before moving northeastwards across Scotland. This will generate some very strong winds to the south of the low centre. However there is a lot of uncertainty over the exact track and depth of this system and therefore the strongest winds.

Covers:  Central, Tayside & Fife, Grampian, Highlands & Eilean Siar, North West England, Orkney & Shetland, SW Scotland, Lothian Borders, Strathclyde, Wales

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Met Eireann Orange/amber warning

http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp 

Sunday 26 February 2017 06:00 to Sunday 26 February 2017 15:00

ewan25.png

Posted

Gales look to hit southern Ireland, Irish Sea, clip NW Wales. Just windy later as low heads up over Scotland and away, maybe affecting far north of England too. Lot of uncertainty about development of this low. Not a repeat of Doris for Midlands or eastern England.

• Like 1

Don't you think this storm-naming has become a farce.  Here in Yorkshire on at least two occasions in the last month we have had the worst gales and rain on days when, apparently, there is no named storm.  Then we were told that 'Doris' was arriving about two weeks ago, only it did a 'body swerve' into France and then the Met office denied they had ever officially called it Doris, so re-used the name this last week.  Now we have Ewen, but I'm not even sure that the UK Met office is using that name - at least yet - whereas Met Eireann is....?????  I'm really not sure this naming process adds anything to the weather forecasts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I think it's a great idea.  I agree that naming needs to be a bit more consistent though. 

Posted
10 minutes ago, Chris Martin said:

Don't you think this storm-naming has become a farce.  Here in Yorkshire on at least two occasions in the last month we have had the worst gales and rain on days when, apparently, there is no named storm.  Then we were told that 'Doris' was arriving about two weeks ago, only it did a 'body swerve' into France and then the Met office denied they had ever officially called it Doris, so re-used the name this last week.  Now we have Ewen, but I'm not even sure that the UK Met office is using that name - at least yet - whereas Met Eireann is....?????  I'm really not sure this naming process adds anything to the weather forecasts.

The Met Office never did name Doris early in Feb, that was certain newspapers jumping the gun, in their own usual hype to sell copy. http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=7978;sess= . They were very quiet this week when real Doris appeared. The level of severe weather warning Yellow/amber or red, and so naming of storms relates to the impacts of the wind not just the strength of wind/amount of rain or snow.

I think the name storm process with Doris worked amazingly well, it was an ideal event for it. The next name is Ewan with an 'a', the list was made last autumn. The Met office is using Ewan, the list and how the naming process works is here http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=7682;sess= 

A storm will only be named when an amber alert is issued (orange in Eire). 

• Like 2

Posted

I also think it's a great idea, particularly when we get a conveyor belt of storms, even if it's just to say to your neighbours we best repair the fence Doris mashed up! Though Ewan isn't supposed to impact on us in CS England, the fact he's on his way has spurred me to get outside and dispose of some of the debris from Thursday before it goes on another journey!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
11 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

I also think it's a great idea, particularly when we get a conveyor belt of storms, even if it's just to say to your neighbours we best repair the fence Doris mashed up! Though Ewan isn't supposed to impact on us in CS England, the fact he's on his way has spurred me to get outside and dispose of some of the debris from Thursday before it goes on another journey!

Yeah and it makes the anticipation more fun for me, seems to make it more real somehow. Also it's easier to remember when certain events happened when they're associated with   the names. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Chris Martin said:

Yup. And we had the torrential rains that caused flash flooding across Greater Manchester back in November but apparently that wasn't Storm Barbara despite it causing plenty of damage to properties and threat to life.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
3 hours ago, Frosty hollows said:

Think this definitely warrants a name!

http://m.met.ie/weather-warnings.aspx?t=National

Certainly windy across west Wales, southeast Ireland, Irish Sea currently with widespread gusts of 50 - 70 mph. 

Wind.

Recent gust of 75 mph Capel Curig. 

Edited by Gavin Plummer
  • Like 2

Posted

Lovely and sunny here and 13°C. If it's going to be like this during a storm I'll have more thank you very much. 

On 2/26/2017 at 09:42, Jo Farrow said:

The Met Office never did name Doris early in Feb, that was certain newspapers jumping the gun, in their own usual hype to sell copy. http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=7978;sess= . They were very quiet this week when real Doris appeared. The level of severe weather warning Yellow/amber or red, and so naming of storms relates to the impacts of the wind not just the strength of wind/amount of rain or snow.

I think the name storm process with Doris worked amazingly well, it was an ideal event for it. The next name is Ewan with an 'a', the list was made last autumn. The Met office is using Ewan, the list and how the naming process works is here http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=7682;sess= 

A storm will only be named when an amber alert is issued (orange in Eire). 

But I can remember well the forecasts on the Met Office web-site prior to Doris No1 and we were warned of a potential 'storm' with severe impacts, so you can hardly blame the newspapers for taking up the name - they didn't invent it and must have asked someone what the next name was.  The fact that with 24 hours to go it headed south across Biscay and the Met Office didn't officially name it because its impacts didn't affect the UK just goes to show how meaningless it is.  And Ewan HASN'T been named and used as such by our Met Office; it has been named and used by the Irish Met Office and any reference on our Met Office web-site makes clear that this storm name and choice is the Irish Met Office only.  This further illustrates to me the confusion and farce.  Compare the hurricane situation (from which this naming idea came) hurricane 'Camille' doesn't cease to be a hurricane with that name if it misses a particular country, it is a hurricane with that name as long as it is a hurricane. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Chris Martin said:

But I can remember well the forecasts on the Met Office web-site prior to Doris No1 and we were warned of a potential 'storm' with severe impacts, so you can hardly blame the newspapers for taking up the name - they didn't invent it and must have asked someone what the next name was.  The fact that with 24 hours to go it headed south across Biscay and the Met Office didn't officially name it because its impacts didn't affect the UK just goes to show how meaningless it is.  And Ewan HASN'T been named and used as such by our Met Office; it has been named and used by the Irish Met Office and any reference on our Met Office web-site makes clear that this storm name and choice is the Irish Met Office only.  This further illustrates to me the confusion and farce.  Compare the hurricane situation (from which this naming idea came) hurricane 'Camille' doesn't cease to be a hurricane with that name if it misses a particular country, it is a hurricane with that name as long as it is a hurricane. 

The list of storm names is on the met office website but that doesn't give media instruments the right to name a severe weather event when they feel like a bit of hype is needed. Can you imagine what would happen if the US media started naming naked swirls in the Atlantic? Hopefully they would be prosecuted for interfering with the due process of public safety! As far as I can see, the naming is something designed to raise public awareness, through social media: the vast majority of the public are not breathlessly rushing through every chart, radar shot or satellite pic.

Jo can correct me if I'm wrong on this but my understanding is that certain emergency protocols are activated by the colour coded matrix of warning levels; not the actual naming of a storm. BTW the storms get another name as soon as they hit the continent of Europe... stop fretting about names and concentrate on the weather warnings for you own area.

• Like 1

Posted
21 hours ago, Chris Martin said:

Met Eireann and UK Met Office are doing this Name our storms thing as a joint project. the whole list of names was issued last year, I posted the photo. The 2 met offices, only name a storm which will affect Great Britain and/or Ireland. If an Amber warning is issued for rain/wind or snow by UK Met  Office (and yes Gael_Force this does then activate processes with councils and emergency services and transport providers) the MO name a storm for communication purposes, as a media tool and tell Met Eireann. If Met Eireann think the weather is going to be bad enough for their Orange alert, they will then take the next name from the shared list and name a storm, notifying the Met Office who share the info too. 

The low which didn't affect the UK, the one which some tabloids took it upon themselves to name as Doris, was always being watched with a wide spread of paths, which is why it didn't get an amber warning, only a yellow with low confidence. #StormDoris as an ID worked wonderfully last week and will be remembered and identified much as #StormDesmond was. The tabloids do this all the time, and I hope they have learnt their lesson. We'll await extreme/killer Easter weather updates from them, hot or cold. 

• Like 2