Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Oregon Scientific WMR300- Any good?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

https://www.weathershop.co.uk/shop/oregon-scientific-wmr300-weather-station

Couldn't help but notice this offer on this weather station that looks like the Oregon version of the Davis Vantage Pro 2.

Has anyone ever had one or know any one that has? @reef@4wd@Mapantz

Can't imagine they are as robust as the Davis VP2 but looks like a good deal for the full lot incl console and data logger.

Posted

I really looked forward to this when it was announced and came out a few years back as I hoped that it would push Davis into updating the VP2 (more especially the console) and control the prices a bit.

Unfortunately as with anything Oregon, the software and support has been dire. The quality has been questionable too, with those few that did buy it having trouble with signal dropping and display issues.

Its such a shame as on paper it had a lot to challenge Davis, but in the end most decide to go with the Vue or VP2 instead for the wider support, user base and reliability. Its hard to find anyone with one as a result.

Edited by reef

Posted
2 minutes ago, reef said:

I really looked forward to this when it was announced and came out a few years back as I hoped that it would push Davis into updating the VP2 (more especially the console) and control the prices a bit.

Unfortunately as with anything Oregon, the software and support has been dire. The quality has been questionable too, with those few that did buy it having trouble with signal dropping and display issues.

Its such a shame as on paper it had a lot to challenge Davis, but in the end most decide to go with the Vue or VP2 instead for the wider support, user base and reliability. Its hard to find anyone with one as a result.

Thank's for your reply Reef, you have confirmed what I had assumed was the case.

The reason I'm looking at other stations to replace my Vue is I want my anemometer up on the roof separate to the rest of the instruments.

Of course I should of realised this last October but it was bought to me as a present.

I'm well aware you can buy a VP2 anemometer plus the transmitter for my Vue but I could buy a whole VP2 kit without the console for only slightly more which I can use with my current Vue console.

VP2's without the console/logger etc are currently £399 and I'm half way there for saving up, I will try and sell my Vue ISS and save a bit more so eventually I upgrade and get the anemometer on the chimney.

Posted

Worth bearing in mind the Vue console works perfectly well with VP2, even if you eventually get the full thing a second console is handy in another room especially if your main one is tied to a computer for uploading.
I started with the Vue then spotted a VP2 on ebay 'condition uncertain' but anemometer and main board were Ok so I used it as a second station to do wind only for a hile, then gradualy bought replacements for other failed components.

The VP2 isn't fantastically reliable and all but the rain bucket have been replaced again in the past 6 years!
They really are overdue a major revamp but seem to be happy churning them out with only minor changes.
And we keep buying them.

Posted
Just now, 4wd said:

Worth bearing in mind the Vue console works perfectly well with VP2, even if you eventually get the full thing a second console is handy in another room especially if your main one is tied to a computer for uploading.
I started with the Vue then spotted a VP2 on ebay 'condition uncertain' but anemometer and main board were Ok so I used it as a second station to do wind only for a hile, then gradualy bought replacements for other failed components.

The VP2 isn't fantastically reliable and all but the rain bucket have been replaced again in the past 6 years!
They really are overdue a major revamp but seem to be happy churning them out with only minor changes.
And we keep buying them.

This mirrors my experience with Davis. I had to replace pretty much everything within the first two years other than the rain cone and temp sensor. However, in the 6 years since nothing has failed (touch wood), so perhaps the quality has improved.

As you say, the VP2 has had incremental upgrades (SHT11 to SHT15 to SHT31 sensors), better anemometer and more recently the third iteration of the rain cup. However the fundamental limitations of the console remain and need bringing into the 21st century. The worst of these being the 8 channel limit, the fact that supplemental sensors can't be read to nearest 0.1C and that on an anemometer transmitter you can't run solar, uv and wind together, just one single accessory.

I guess we keep getting them as there is no alternative other than going really expensive!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I agree with everything reef and 4wd have said. The WMR200 was a great station, and I was tempted with a 300, but their customer service and support are terrible. On that basis, I would wait until you can afford a VP2. 

I'm currently on my third anemometer in 10 months, luckily it hasn't cost me anything, but it does make me question Davis' reliability.>

I've just installed the new rain bucket, hopefully it'll get some kind of test tomorrow!

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

On 22/02/2017 at 18:17, Mapantz said:

I

On 22/02/2017 at 18:06, 4wd said:

Worth
And we keep buying them.

On 22/02/2017 at 17:32, reef said:

I

Just an update guys that I'm now running on a VP2 with a Vue console, should be getting the anemometer up on the chimney breast at around 10 meters in the coming weeks.

Also been doing a lot of hedge and tree cutting to open up the garden a bit as I'm worried there's not enough air flow to keep accurate temp recordings at 1.5m (very high conifers in my neighbours garden to the west keep my garden fairly still on breezy days), my location will never be perfect for 100% accurate readings however I will be getting it as close as I possibly can.

I'm guessing a FARS accessory may help with my "still garden" problem especially when the wind is from the west.

The garden is open to North and East and sheltered by the house to the South.

Any advice appreciated, CHEERS

Posted

The fars does make a difference when it's near calm and sunny, 
It feels a bit obsessive though as the max and min recordings are unlikely to be affected without it.
I think the dual solar panels have made the onboard power more robust, not needed to change the battery since it was fitted.three years ago. 
http://nymweather.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/daytime-fars-fitted-to-vp2.html

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
On Fri Mar 10 2017 at 08:45, 4wd said:

The fars does make a difference when it's near calm and sunny, 
It feels a bit obsessive though as the max and min recordings are unlikely to be affected without it.
I think the dual solar panels have made the onboard power more robust, not needed to change the battery since it was fitted.three years ago. 
http://nymweather.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/daytime-fars-fitted-to-vp2.html

@reef @Mapantz

Another update on the station progress, anemometer Is now up on chimney breast at around 10 meters, so accuracy with wind recordings should be very accurate now, however there are some trees around 100 yards away to the SW that will cause some deflection,especially in summer when in full leaf.

Screenshot_20170331-091438.thumb.png.758eccaf07a4ec7db96423e66bd1a67b.png

Next job is to get the FARS accessory to ensure my garden isnt recording too high during calm sunny days.

Not too fussed about Solar and UV data for the time being so quite happy with the VUE console.

My old VUE ISS is going to a new home in the Yorkshire Wolds where it will collect data from a village with a fascinating micro climate, so at least that is going to a good home.

20170325_163323.jpg

Edited by vizzy2004
  • Like 2

Posted

Nice work viz! You just need to upgrade the rain collector now. ;-)

I run a DIY  FARS system on another weather station as an experiment, which I decided to leave, but I actually get a lot of downsides to it. I've gotten lower readings during warm temperatures, sometimes as much as two degrees lower when i check it against an accurate thermometer that is shaded and well ventilated. In my own opinion, I don't see the need for any fan equipment on weather stations in this country. It's more suited to climates that have regular heat of 35C+ and high humidity levels. 24 hour FARS is 100% overkill in our climate, daytime FARS is debatable, expecially so if your station is in an enclosed space. Why? Because the fan is likely to pull in the heat from surrounding objects like fences and walls, the fan would only be of use if it was in the open and getting a ton of sunshine (which in this country, is rare these days) 

Looking at the positioning of your ISS, if it were my station, I wouldn't bother paying for it, you'll probably find it'll make absolutely no difference to temperatures during the Summer. Just my two penneth worth of course. 

Posted
10 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Nice work viz! You just need to upgrade the rain collector now. ;-)

LOL my rainfall data without the new bucket will be useless XD

The reason I'm interested in the FARS as a guy has a VP2 with it in a neighbouring village that seems less "jerky" with reactions to sunlight, mine seems to jump up and down quite often when sunlight hits the radiation shield. 

His temps can often be 2 or 3 degrees lower than mine on sunny days and his mirror the forecasted temps by the Met Office and also closer to the temps recorded by the nearest MetO official stations.

Yesterday as an example our area was forecast 16C yet I hit 19C whilst the fella with the FARS had a max of 16C 4 miles away. His station is around 50m higher and in an open field. 

My location is very rural but I do think my slightly enclosed garden is a "warm spot".

Here's a few pics from a different angle, and worth noting my neighbour is currently cutting his large trees down in his garden to.my west which should allow a lot more airflow through the garden as of this weekend.

20170401_085857.thumb.jpg.24c20bf82b6bbbab70008ef0d994a2d8.jpg20170401_063334.jpg.495e13dac3c483b09883a4cc18d2948c.jpg20170331_190622.thumb.jpg.7bc15df8f6950df97f80984623c880e8.jpg

Posted

It looks well above the roof line so probably pretty accurate.
If too near the ridge you might get a speeded up airplane wing effect, but most of the time infinitely better than being lower than nearby buildings - unless you have a really open aspect.

• Like 1

Posted

Your ISS doesn't look to be too bad @vizzy2004

During warmer days, my Davis will report higher temps than the MO by 2 or 3 degrees, but  I have two other ways of measuring the temperature fairly accurately, and they all concur with my Davis station. Funnily enough, the MO will adjust their max temperatures during the day, which end up being within a degree or so of what I had recorded. Temps can easily vary within a 50m radius, so i wouldn't worry too much. :)

• Like 1

Posted

I run 24 hour FARS on my Davis VP2 and have found it makes a difference in responsiveness so you are more likely to pick up maxima and minima when there are abrupt changes in temperatures. On hot days there can be a degree or two difference aswell. Ironically on cold, calm nights it reads slightly higher on occasion, but more accurately as you're measuring the actual air temp rather than being affected by radiative cooling on the ISS casing.

I don't use the Davis FARS fan though as they are quite frankly rubbish. I run my station fan on a 12v supply from the mains so it truly is 24/7 after finding the Davis fans failing every couple of months. For the last two years I have been using a Xerox photocopier fan (which is circular and actually looks like it was made to fit!) and have seen excellent results.

20150128_145952.thumb.jpg.61761a9b3b5aa0b0f2a35fcf3bf7b851.jpg

I wouldn't say it was essential in the UK for FARS, but I like the best readings, so I have the 24/7 FARS along with the more accurate SHT31 sensor (+/-0.2C in the entire range) to make sure that is the case. I do however have similar issues with the wind vane in that there are quite a few high trees in this area, but I'd say your anemometer is positioned as best as possible there. It will be accurate for your location which is what matters. At the end of the day we don't live in exposed airfields like most of the Metoffice sites!

Edited by reef
  • Like 2