Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Air Temperature Southern North Atlantic Ocean

radeye

Hello everyone, I know this question may have a simple answer but I have not found it   :wallbash:

so I am asking someone to help.

I will be on a Transocean cruise, Oceania Cruise Lines, mid size ship from ..Bermuda to Barcelona...  The sailing will be the last three days of

April - March 10th.  SO MY QUESTION IS...What is the average AIR TEMPERATURE on the mid ocean during the end of April and the first week of

March 2017.

Thanking all of you in advance for a reply to my question.  

Edited by Nick L
Title typo

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 17:03, radeye said:

Hello everyone, I know this question may have a simple answer but I have not found it   :wallbash:

so I am asking someone to help.

I will be on a Transocean cruise, Oceania Cruise Lines, mid size ship from ..Bermuda to Portugal...  The sailing will be the last three days of March and the First 4 Days of April

SO MY QUESTION IS...What is the average AIR TEMPERATURE on the mid ocean during the end of March and the first week of April  AVERAGE........

Thanking all of you in advance for a reply to my question.  

Could someone PLEASE HELP ME with an answer to my question

Edited by radeye

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

I think you will find that March generally comes before April unless you are Doctor Who or Donald Trump.

Air temp will depend on the route the ship takes, and will be affected by weather systems not yet in any forecast technological capability. 

You could set off in 14-22 deg C, go though cold and warm patches,  and end up in Barca in 5- 20 deg C. 

So take a jumper .

NO, Very specific........sailing directly from Bermuda to Fuschal (sp ......) big island off Protugal

First week of April...........anyone have an idea on the AVERAGE AIR TEMPERATURE during that trip ????????

Please help with an answer.

Posted

Okay, I'll have a go.

I think you're actually on the Silver Spirit, leaving Hamilton on March 30th arriving in Funchal on April 6th which would be about right for an Atlantic crossing - about 20mph across the ocean.

Other thing to note is the gradual time difference which means you lose an hour every day as the clock re-adjusts as you move eastward.

Both Bermuda and Funchal on Madeira are at roughly 33 degrees north.

The first problem is we don't know what course the ship will take. I suspect it will stay close to the common line of latitude unless a storm or similar forces a course change.

The second problem is we're dealing with weather patterns across 3000 miles of ocean so the air may be sourced from the north (cold) or the south (warm), the east or the west. The ship will have accurate and updated meteorological data - I don't.

The average temperature for Bermuda in early April is around 20c and for Funchal 18c so we can probably reason the temperature over the ocean at that latitude should be 18-20c maximum by day and say 11-13c at night. It's likely the weather will be fair as you'll be influenced (typically) by the Azores HP which dominates the lower Atlantic latitudes but the exact positioning of said HP will be crucial to determine if you have a light W'ly or a light E'ly breeze.

Silversea is one of the top end cruise lines so even if the weather is poor it will still be very comfortable.

Anyone else got a view ?

Posted
On 02/03/2017 at 14:29, radeye said:

Why have this forum if no member will answer a question that you post ??????????

I read your question but it didn't make any sense! If you want climatology for the Atlantic ocean, there are plenty of sites on the web to give a rough idea .... if you want forecast temperatures for the first week of April, there are no soothsayers here. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Some manners might entice people to help you too.

• Like 4

Hello Everyone....:oops:

I would like to apologize to the Members for my lack of understanding and also on how to post a question.

1.  I did not post my original question correctly and the question was not clear, as to what I was asking. So I apologize for not being clear on what I was asking.

2.  I posted "why have the board to post if no one is gong to answer your question"  I apologize for that also......I did not realize, as a first time poster, that my post had to be reviewed along with my  profile before my question was actually posted for all to see.

So I will try and start again by asking my question with a shorter and clearer intent. 

Thanks for the opportunity and I am sorry for any misunderstanding.

Chuck

• Like 2

Hello Everyone,                        :oops:( please see my apology to everyone, in a separate Post)

I am departing Bermuda on March 29th and sailing on Oceania Riveria, across the southern North Atlantic Ocean to the Azores (Ponta Delgada)

I would ask that someone who knows about this area of the Open Ocean please give me some idea of the AVERAGE air temperature, between these two points.  ( I do understand that storms and other situations can change the temperature BUT I am just trying to get a general idea of what the high and low air temperatures might be,  for EARLY APRIL, on a route like this. 

Thanking you in advance for your reply to my question.  :yahoo:

Posted

A forecast of the Atlantic surface temperatures for the middle of March.

psy4qv3r1_20170313_at0_temperature_0m.pn

Assuming a little warming by the first week of April, the ocean temps should be around the 18-20c mark. The figures Stodge gave you in the post above look a very good guidance but it will be governed by sunshine and whether the wind direction enhances or reduces the basic temperatures. Current modelling indicates there will be a broad band of high pressure in the central Atlantic towards the end of the month. If that remains for April, sunshine would be expected with mid twenties possible by day, mid teens overnight. Much will depend if the ship sails along latitude or dips south for passengers to gain advantage of more tropical SSTs.