Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Reports - Wednesday 18th August 2004

Posted

Probably had 3 torrential downpurs today, the best one was around 15:15 with some loud rumbes of thunder :D Looked a very impressive storm as it moved away :D

As soon as it began to move away, there was clear blue skies for a period of around 45 mins, before clouding over further :D

Posted

Hi every one.

After a day of very heavy showers, am now experiencing a thunderstorm in the West midlands. (M5 J2) Seen a couple of lightning flashes and thunder. Now the football is over will attempt to get some more details and update if neccessary, but seems to b e etting closer, 5s between last flas and rumble! :-)

Was caught in a rain shower yesterday while N of Oxford (M40) that was one of the heaviest that I have ever driven through. Could not see the road surface or the car in front, very hazardous!!!!!

Without consulting official records, this must be the most thundery Aug for at least the past 10 years, possible one of the most in the past 30?

Posted

ok, I had the best one couldnt get it on cam tho wasnt to hand.

Had a storm cell moving in (last load of pics @ http://photobucket.com/albums/v437/UKThund...-08-04/?start=0 ) was very slow moving you could see the convection going. Me and my radio Amateur Group were in the middle of aerial testing when this hapened.... BOOM there was a IC/CG combo strike right in front of us... it had to have been at least a mile long.

I had an awesome light show up here, couldnt have been in a better place. awesome shots as you can see. I had CG striking the ground not a mil in front of me, my hair (and for those that have seen me, it's long...) was standing on end, you could just feel the static in the air. there were three or four strikes at very close range and we then decided to make for the relative safety of the car. but I couldnt have asked for a more spectacular show of natures power, I just hope I got some of them on camera.

Posted

Hi Nimbostratus.

I guess that you are just down the B4123 from me, my cell was heading off in your direction at last flash!

I am affraid that it wasn't the most spectacular as it slipped passed me.

Isn't Wolverhampton in "UK tornado alley" as storms get squezzed up the severn valley between the welsh borders and the lumpy bits in the midlands, Clent, Lickey Rowley hills, Cannock, Peak District etc ???????

Posted

Oh the joys of being out at football on a dark late evening :D:D

Distant CB's had been visible all evening and given a stunning sunset :D

Then after 2100 once dark lightning could be seen in a distant anvil :wink::D

2 CG strikes and several IC flashes.

(In fact they were the brightest sparks of a dull 2nd half :D )

Posted

Hi Nimbostratus,

I am on the Rowley Hills, just off M5 J2, near to the twin radio masts. Have a great view across the West Midlands from N around to SSW. Could get the full 360 iff I went up the road a little. Have even watched a storm in Lincolnshire from the back off my house once!

About 4 years ago a major storm caused some flash flooding in Wolverhampton and the news reported wolverhampton as being in tornado alley UK, though I have no other information about it; the theory sounds half sensible though.

Just around the corner on the SW facing part of the hill we have a pub called "The Hailstone" which probably suggests the local terrain's influence on the weather!!!!

Posted

2 storms to report today:

One in the early hours of this morning with heavy rain as well.

The second a short while ago with a short spell of heavy rain and intense white lightning.

Posted
I'm in Perth, my hubby Mr Murphymoo works in Glasgow :D:D

Errrr yes..quite...um sorry about the sex-change there. Think I should invest in some glasses for reading people's names on these threads. Ahem :oops:

Steve

PS Hope you enjoyed the storm ya lucky thing!!!

Posted

2 storms for me today aswell, major one at 16:45 to 17:20ish - stranded in Town Centre - frequent forked lightning followed quickly by ear splitting crashes of thunder. And then one kicked off about 7pm ish and that was the 2nd best I've seen this year. The 1st one was the best I've witnessed ever!!! :shock:

Posted
Wow! Wow! Wow! Absolutely tremendous storm here - kicked off about 8.30pm - huge amounts of lightning and really loud booms of thunder :oops:  Has  now moved off over the hills - have managed to get some video which I need to sort out yet :D  

Best storm we've had in ages - reminded me of European storms, incessant lightning and continuous thunder :D  

I'm so happy and as I type the strike alert is going beserk, yet again :D:D :D:D

you can see the two storms currently on the metcheck lightning detector :D:D

probably the remnants of the one I had about 6pm

Posted

Oh right, I've never heard of Rowley hills :oops: lol

I've never seen a tornado here either lol

By the way though, that was the 3rd storm 2day.....the other 2 were kinda crap tho! We had one about 12:30 another around 6 i think it was, and the one just. All 3 had really heavy rain though. I was hoping for something better, but thats what you get here! :cry: :evil:

Also, i was thinking, was it TWO that predicted a better year or something like that for t-storms this year?

Posted

3 storms for me, god knows how many rumbles and strikes, I lost count of the strikes after 15. I was getting a good 7-10 strikes a minute at the peak

Posted

Nimbostratus

had all the rain here too. Rowley hills are about 7 miles SE of you.

Have only just found the site. Suggested last thursday would be thundery at around 9.30 after experincing moderate medium level atmospheric instabilty first hand, however have not made any summer predictions.

Posted

Had 4 storms in the past 24 hours :oops::D

One through last night and 3 within the last 5 hours.

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Brief thunderstorm here around 21:30. Nothing compared with the tropical downpour with wall shaking thunder we had at 1:30 this morning.