Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in China

gone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Definitely Spring my favourite season. Mild and just full of green.

Years ago, I was walking during winter in Beijing. Siberian winds over my face. I tried to speak and all that came from my lips was a mumbling sound. I was literally frozen.

Today, I was out and I have been for the past 4 years, just to discover that winter is not cold anymore in Beijing. Today 0 degrees.

The main problem here is pollution, But even these days it is 'clean' and sunny.

Is this a consequence of the global warming too or pollution? Has anyone been in China before and noticed the difference? It would be a good research for me and my future days.

BTW, new on this community. :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
5 hours ago, ScarletHarris said:

Years ago, I was walking during winter in Beijing. Siberian winds over my face. I tried to speak and all that came from my lips was a mumbling sound. I was literally frozen.

Today, I was out and I have been for the past 4 years, just to discover that winter is not cold anymore in Beijing. Today 0 degrees.

The main problem here is pollution, But even these days it is 'clean' and sunny.

Is this a consequence of the global warming too or pollution? Has anyone been in China before and noticed the difference? It would be a good research for me and my future days.

Had bitter winters in the past in the UK, but things are warming up here too.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
6 hours ago, ScarletHarris said:

Hi there, Scarlet. Lovely to see you on here.

I went to Hangzhou a few years ago in January. Everyone warned me how cold it might be, and I packed my suitcase with warm clothes and coats. I ended up walking around the lake and into the hills in my t-shirt and light trousers! It was between 16 and 20c during the days!

The pollution was a problem, though, and my eyes were very badly affected and sore. When I flew back from Hangzhou into Hong Kong for a stopover, the yellow pollution haze in the atmosphere was so distinctly visible from the aircraft.

I'm not sure that weather is reliable anywhere in the world these days, but has it ever been? Time will tell whether we are experiencing normal variations or the result of the horrid damge we have inflicted on our planet.

Do keep posting, I work with a lot of Chinese colleagues and students over here in France and I love to keep in touch with China's news and events.

Happy New Year of the Rooster, by the way...

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Definitely Spring my favourite season. Mild and just full of green.

Hey guys,

Thanks for your kind replies. I was introduced to this community by someone here. He was always saying that he was always getting weather info and data from here. TBH, yesterday I had a look after a long time and I loved the pictures and since I am a traveler, I thought it would be great to check this out. Also, I am a geek in a way haha and I like people who r passionate about things like me....:)

About China, well I have seen things changing here in many different ways. From those terribly cold winters of minus 20 to now -2. There are still days where I can feel the Siberian winds and they take all the heat from your body but it is not as dramatic as before. I don't like cold but it always worries me why this is getting warmer and warmer. The pollution also is unbearable sometimes in Beijing and so I am moving in 4 months which is a pity as I like China a lot.

Lassie: I used to live in West Yorkshire and I have to say sometimes I think it is as cold as Beijing :p

Spike: Hangzhou is probably one of my favourite cities. I love the lake and greenery around. Cold there? hahahaha I think locals think it is cold but from someone coming from UK I can understand the sentiment. Happy New year too :)

Moki: Maybe Qatar could win that battle of the concrete. I am sure high rise buildings could make a difference too. I wonder if someone would know about the influence of concrete on the weather too???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Nice to hear on 'on the ground' report of the pollution levels there!

Do you think that the pollution has 'peaked' or is it still growing worse?

The Govt. must be aware of the damage such levels of pollution have on the population so surely they are moving heaven and earth to improve things for everyone impacted by it?

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Nice to hear on 'on the ground' report of the pollution levels there!

Do you think that the pollution has 'peaked' or is it still growing worse?

The Govt. must be aware of the damage such levels of pollution have on the population so surely they are moving heaven and earth to improve things for everyone impacted by it?

Hi wolf, thanks for your kind words. I have been in China for a while now and I have to say it is like a roller coaster but overall better than 4 years ago when we reached 900 on the AQI scale. I think the government has tried and is trying to avoid pollution but it is difficult in a city with 30 million people, all with electronics and with more money to buy cars.  Transportation has improved, laws have improved, they r closing factories but I think they have a long way to go to achieve a good result with this battle.

I really hope in 20 years the pollution goes away for the health of so many people. Nobody knows certainly the impact in a long term on your lifespan but I have to say there r days when I would like to run until I reach fresh air.

• Like 1

Posted

I was brought up just as the UK was ending it 'dirty' pollution period so my earliest memories are of white hankies under scarfs around the nose/mouth and the hanky being yellow by the time it was taken off!

We also killed all of our rivers.

Things improved quickly after the clean air acts dug in but back then we did not have the number of cars that we have now!!! 

I hope that you will find positive change just as fast as we saw it across NW Europe ( we shipped a lot of our pollution over the north Sea/English channel so I guess they were pleased when we stopped!!).!

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

I was brought up just as the UK was ending it 'dirty' pollution period so my earliest memories are of white hankies under scarfs around the nose/mouth and the hanky being yellow by the time it was taken off!

We also killed all of our rivers.

Things improved quickly after the clean air acts dug in but back then we did not have the number of cars that we have now!!! 

I hope that you will find positive change just as fast as we saw it across NW Europe ( we shipped a lot of our pollution over the north Sea/English channel so I guess they were pleased when we stopped!!).!

I have heard many stories about UK and pollution. Especially in Manchester which gives me hope that if they government tries really hard, they may be hope, but u r right there were no so many cars, or buses, motorbikes, trains, etc.

I have heard of many of Chinese's neighbours complaining about this...I even read once that California (If I am not wrong) got the fumes...hahaha...I wish they went directly to Trump sometimes :p

• Like 1

Posted

I do believe the emissions have been so great that they have impacted the amount of energy able to get to the surface of the Pacific and some think this may even have influenced some of the 'natural cycles' we see by mimicking /augmenting the impacts associated with one phase over the other?

If China is serious about saving the health of its people it may well also serve to warm the surface of parts of the pacific?

The current 'Pineapple express' that has been a frequent visitor to The west Coast U.S. this winter may only have appeared this year due to alterations to the 'naturals' over the Pacific with the interdecadal Pacific Oscillation turning positive back in 2014?

This phase sees any warming of the ocean remain at the surface of the Pacific and so sees warming there ( more evaporation so more rainfall). What we were seeing up to 2014 was the I.P.O. negative which buries the heat in the ocean as it warms. Was the drought across West USA due to the lack of moisture due to a 'cooled' Pacific? Will we now see a period of extreme rainfall for the west coast so long as the winds keep the atmospheric rivers aimed at them?

With the IPO now positive I have to wonder if efforts of the Chinese govt. have been showing impact and so 'augmenting' the impacts of IPO +ve by allowing more heat to get through the atmosphere and  into the ocean below (as the pollution burden of the atmosphere lessens?) so allowing more intense 'atmospheric rivers' to form up?

Oddly El Nino is supposed to see more of this type of event but this was ongoing under the opposite forcing of La Nina? 

If there is any truth to this then by the time you are back to a crystal clear atmosphere over you ( or a least one that lets the sun cast a shadow!!!) the world will be a lot warmer!

Posted
8 hours ago, Gray-Wolf said:

I do believe the emissions have been so great that they have impacted the amount of energy able to get to the surface of the Pacific and some think this may even have influenced some of the 'natural cycles' we see by mimicking /augmenting the impacts associated with one phase over the other?

If China is serious about saving the health of its people it may well also serve to warm the surface of parts of the pacific?

The current 'Pineapple express' that has been a frequent visitor to The west Coast U.S. this winter may only have appeared this year due to alterations to the 'naturals' over the Pacific with the interdecadal Pacific Oscillation turning positive back in 2014?

This phase sees any warming of the ocean remain at the surface of the Pacific and so sees warming there ( more evaporation so more rainfall). What we were seeing up to 2014 was the I.P.O. negative which buries the heat in the ocean as it warms. Was the drought across West USA due to the lack of moisture due to a 'cooled' Pacific? Will we now see a period of extreme rainfall for the west coast so long as the winds keep the atmospheric rivers aimed at them?

With the IPO now positive I have to wonder if efforts of the Chinese govt. have been showing impact and so 'augmenting' the impacts of IPO +ve by allowing more heat to get through the atmosphere and  into the ocean below (as the pollution burden of the atmosphere lessens?) so allowing more intense 'atmospheric rivers' to form up?

Oddly El Nino is supposed to see more of this type of event but this was ongoing under the opposite forcing of La Nina? 

If there is any truth to this then by the time you are back to a crystal clear atmosphere over you ( or a least one that lets the sun cast a shadow!!!) the world will be a lot warmer!

Wolf, I am amazed at your post and reading it carefully. I am very amateur at weather so I am trying to learn. However, as soon as you mention El Nino y La Nina then I realize I do know a lot about it as it has a direct impact on South American coasts.

When I was little, we had such a variety of fish and seafood on our table...and due to all the changes in temperatures on the waters, we have been left with a different variety and much less than before. I am glad about warm weather but I am not receptive to it when it comes from a massively developing country sending me their fumes.  

I am always reading about all the effects of weather on the Earth and always wondering how we got there and where we will end. It sounds gloomy but having lived in China for a while just tells me that having money and too many people and not enough resources will be another huge problem in the future.

For now, -4 and again pollution going up. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Destructive and deadly Tornados in China

M.WEIBO.CN

随时随地发现新鲜事!微博带你欣赏世界上每一个精彩瞬间,了解每一个幕后故事。分享你想表达的,让全世界都能听到你的心声!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

• Like 1

Posted

Same event...

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Absolutely catastrophic flooding in Zhengzhou, Henan province where 617 mm of rain has fallen since Saturday - 201 mm fell in 1hr today.

Official death toll 12 so far but twitter is full of horrific videos, so final toll likely to be hundreds if not thousands dead? Not that we'll ever know the true figure. 

Posted
_119507157_gettyimages-1234072282-2.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Record rainfall has left more than 12 dead and flooded stations and roads in Zhengzhou city.

This shows the Chinese peoples compliance and trust that the authorities and gov will rescue them from anything including Covid.

Stand still, wait for help.

Do not under any circumstances try to help yourselves....even if the water covers your head. 

"Yes master"

Edited by matty40s

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Yup the flooding pictures and videos coming out of China are the most shocking I've seen. This is a compilation of them but beware, it is disturbing.

Posted

But the Chinese state says rain is good for the grass....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Good grief

Posted

The rains and floods are now moving downstream. Blowing up dams to protect one city is only going to create problems elsewhere....

Posted

The Chinese government still says there are only 50 dead....