Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 8th Feb - Cold for now, but then what?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Ensembles not without interest today trending colder than average with some increasing cold clusters occurring too

MT8_Manchester_ens.png

Always interested in this data as a precursor to colder weather

ao.sprd2.gif

If it is March when we see our coldest period of weather of the winter, so be it. There isn't a lot we can do to reverse it:wink:

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Pressure build over North America as the vortex starts to capitulate

ECH1-240.GIF?25-12

In the medium term it is about what happens to the pressure build to our North

ECM1-168.GIF?25-12ECM

gem-0-180.png?00GEM

ECM slides it VERY quickly s/e in to the Continent

ECM1-216.GIF?25-12

GEM has a slower progression which pulls in continental winds

gem-0-210.png?00

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

One to watch is Tuesday with the potential for a fairly widespread deep low with both the central belt of Scotland and London down to around 985mb

lon.thumb.png.c635335df8d5857166ad35c7664d9522.pngsco.thumb.png.86eac6c97fed0ea493b05652289a2b1d.png

• Like 4

Posted

This morning the EPS has the pattern changing somewhat as it progresses from the 5-10 period.with the vortex becoming less intense and more diffuse but more to the point by the end it erodes the HP in the Greenland and to replace it with a trough into the eastern Atlantic. So although the zonal Atlantic remains the dominate feature with temps tending to be a little below average in the UK this set up is probably more inclined to some wintry Pm incursions.

ecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.thumb.png.bf9b434afd49ccfbbb5af74cdad0751b.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Following all the unsettled trough domination the Ecm 00z has a happy ending with a nice ridge of high pressure.:)

240_mslp500.png

240_mslp850uk.png

• Like 3

Posted

Quite a significant pattern change forecast by all models for the start of March, with heights building to our NW, and the longwave trough making a direct beeline for the UK with the jetstream taking a more southerly path, locking much of northern half of the country on the cold side for the foreseeable future - hence a very disturbed cyclonic type spell of weather to end winter and start spring, indeed a major change from the generally anticyclonic pattern that has held greatest influence over the last 6 months or so. 

In this set ups, expect sudden trough formation, and secondary low developments with convection spawning sudden downpours and shower activity. It looks predominantly chilly for the north, with temps average at best, trending colder than average probably, further south nearer average, perhaps a bit above at time. Lots of snow for the scottish mountains, indeed the ski resorts will be very happy, but perhaps a bit too late to salvage what has been a very poor season snow-wise.

Whether we are seeing a sustained pattern change remains to be seen, but recent years have seen sudden pronounced switches in short spaces of time against long term background trends, we've been in a settled dry spell since July, quite lengthy and notably dry and quiet overall.. I'm reminded back to April 2012 the last time we saw a major switch from a lengthy dry settled spell to a very unsettled wet spell lasting a good 6 months.. mmm lets hope we aren't staring at an equivalent April - Sept 2012 spell.. but I've commented before many a time how recent decades have seen lengthy dry periods followed quickly by lengthy wet periods with little variation.

• Like 5

Posted

I have a feeling that northern uk, especially the hills / mountains will be enjoying the best cold and snow of the winter / early spring at times during the next few weeks or more with a more southerly tracking jet..at last some joy for the Scottish skiing industry!

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

From the recent model output, Brian over on theweatheroutlook mentioned the F word, which we managed to avoid mostly this winter, I suppose it was too much to ask to end the winter without anymore of it.

Posted
15 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

From the recent model output, Brian over on theweatheroutlook mentioned the F word, which we managed to avoid mostly this winter, I suppose it was too much to ask to end the winter without anymore of it.

Indeed, there is a risk of local flooding this weekend across cumbria and looking at the models I can see further problems to come with plenty of rain, especially the w / nw.

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
1 hour ago, Frosty. said:

Indeed, there is a risk of local flooding this weekend across cumbria and looking at the models I can see further problems to come with plenty of rain, especially the w / nw.

Oh THAT F word. Lol :fool:

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, winterof79 said:

Ensembles not without interest today trending colder than average with some increasing cold clusters occurring too

MT8_Manchester_ens.png

Always interested in this data as a precursor to colder weather

ao.sprd2.gif

If it is March when we see our coldest period of weather of the winter, so be it. There isn't a lot we can do to reverse it:wink:

So true, find it strange how some feel March 1st means a sudden switch to Spring warmth, March can be a very chilly disturbed month, looks to me like a rather cold unsettled first half to March with temps around average at best.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

The jet stream looking strong next week with 200+ mph winds aloft, so the potential for another wind storm or two possible.hgt300.thumb.png.d52a56db8b713c19778d8020ff66d18d.png

Today's GFS 12z illustrates these.....

Wednesday PM - Widespread gales/severe gales sweeping Wales & Central/Eastern England. Inland gusts 60 - 70 mph once again!! This does whistle through quickly though, unlike dangerous Doris!!

ukgustwed.thumb.png.11756ff50301ffe7ebc0da6d08955e55.png

Edited by Gavin Plummer
  • Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, winterof79 said:

ao.sprd2.gif

Yet another winter with a positive NAO. The Finnish guys with the research are proving right. Declining solar activity -> Positive NAOhttp://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2013JD021343/abstract 

So, this is the final winter with this correlation for a while.

• Like 3

Posted
53 minutes ago, Eugene said:

So true, find it strange how some feel March 1st means a sudden switch to Spring warmth, March can be a very chilly disturbed month, looks to me like a rather cold unsettled first half to March with temps around average at best.

Indeed. March can deliver all kinds of nonsense. Can't help feeling that the shallow surface high at some point in march is going to deliver something colder for the uk, not just the north. 

Posted

Unsettled Ecm 12z throughout and temps dropping after this weekend with rather cold conditions early next week and staying on the cold side further north across northern scotland with temps tending to be closer to average further south. 

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

Posted

Cant help but think going to need a bit more colder weather than 0c or -4c uppers for snow in the scottish highlands though.  But hopefully a spot or two of the low pressure will help deliver the goods.

Posted
29 minutes ago, Matthew Wilson said:

The JMA says no to spring and has the Jet running across the far south with Greenland heights establishing:clapping:

IMG_1036.PNG

IMG_1037.PNG

Jma to the rescue? I guess there's a first time for everything.:D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

The problem with a southerly tracking jet when Greenland heights are not strong is that it just leaves much of the UK under the influence of successive Atlantic lows,thus a wet and windy regime with frequent frontal systems traversing the country.

UE120-21.GIF?25-17

Really only the Scottish highlands are likely to see meaningful snowfall in the chilly air up there.

The real cold is locked to our north down to about 60N where the -6/8C uppers lurk

ECE0-96.GIF?25-0

No sign of northern blocking strengthening sufficiently to bring a taste of Winter any further south so we are looking at a mobile westerly unsettled spell going into early March.

My least favourite set up,wet and chilly at times but nothing out of the ordinary temperature wise.I think after a week or possibly two of this i will be willing the return of some mid-latitude blocking around the UK.

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

It's been a long time since we last had a jet stream shifted south yet remaining quite strong and sending lows across the UK. With a few tweaks and occurring in the depths of winter it can be a snow-lover's nirvana - but on this occasion, due to the time of year plus quite possibly the overall warmer state of the climate, this will only ring true for up on the mountains in the north, and even there perhaps only intermittently.

ALL_emean_phase_full.gif MarchPhase2gt1500mb.gif  gfsgwo_1.pngMarchPhase3gt1500mb.gif

We have a fairly strong bit of MJO activity in the IO at the moment, in terms of wind signals - convection is lacking. The odd run here and there has toyed with moving the ridge from our N to our NE seemingly by way of response, but it seems to me that with signs of the GWO nosing into phase 4, the models are finding too much of a subtropical ridge + flat westerly signal to let this really take shape. Whether that 'too much' is down to model judgement remains to be seen - I've often seen an MJO signal rise up to seize the day having initially been underestimated... but that was back before the winter of 2016-17 which if anything has displayed the reverse tendency, catching a fair few forecasters/climatologists out - including me of course; the MJO enthusiast.

Still - I believe the blocking high to our N should start to be able to exert a more direct influence in the 8-16 day range, though from what location exactly is hard to say. If the models keep trending toward MJO phase 3 to follow phase 2 then a failure of the blocking to move to our E/NE could mean that it sticks around to our N for a long time. Increasingly I worry that with GWO orbiting negative - albeit weakly - the jet might keep on firing across under such blocking to bring about an exceptionally unsettled and wet March. We could really do with the hints of El Nino in the Pacific forcing a bit of a kick in GLAAM to hold up the Atlantic lows. Hopefully a Kelvin wave will turn up to help things along.

• Like 2