Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 8th Feb - Cold for now, but then what?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Pretty disappointing 12z....gfs doesn't develop anything really. Ukmo looks to be staying unsettled for the foreseeable. All eyes on ecm tonight.

Posted
29 minutes ago, karyo said:

This is a dog's dinner because...?

There is quite a bit of complicated stuff going on ending with complex low pressure systems as in the chart but I accept it's a pretty pathetic way of describing the run so in fact it was better left unsaid.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I can't see very much mild weather on the Ecm 12z run, for the most part it looks rather cold with 526 / 528 dam across the uk next week. It's a generally unsettled run too..not spring like at all..a chilly start to march. :- )

Height rises to the NE with scandi high forming it looks increasingly blocked later with the Atlantic held at bay.

24_mslp850uk.png

48_mslp850uk.png

72_mslp850uk.png

96_mslp850uk.png

120_mslp850uk.png

144_mslp850uk.png

168_mslp850uk.png

168_thickuk.png

192_thickuk.png

192_mslp850uk.png

216_mslp850uk.png

216_mslp500.png

240_mslp850uk.png

240_mslp500.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
10 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

I can't see very much mild weather on the Ecm 12z run, for the most part it looks rather cold with 528 dam across the uk next week. It's a generally unsettled run too..not spring like at all..a chilly start to march. :- )

can only agree Frosty, it's a vile ECM run (south) just hope it can be as dry as possible, unlikely but never know, miserable weather due after Monday 27th

3rd and 4th down, my favourites on your post Frosty!

ECM1-144.GIF?22-0

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
9 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

3rd and 4th down, my favourites on your post Frosty

Yes, briefly milder through the weekend then chilly.:)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

I don't think that it would have made much of a difference if the ECM run had verified in January or early in February, first week of March can produce the goods still without any problems but as usual when we do pick up an easterly or south easterly for that matter, the air to our east is not terribly cold so its the same old close but no cigar.

Something that was showing up a few days ago was the Iceland High, this is what we want ideally with HP extending either west towards GL or east towards Scandi. I bet we do end up with the block in just the right place when its too late, like in late spring or early summer.

• Like 3

Posted

There are some encouraging longer term signs for cold weather in March from the GEFS 12z..I'm not about to give up!:cold-emoji:

0_360_850tmp.png

4_360_850tmp.png

5_384_850tmp.png

9_312_850tmp.png

9_312_2mtmpmax.png

12_372_850tmp.png

19_240_850tmp.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Frosty. said:

I can't see very much mild weather on the Ecm 12z run, for the most part it looks rather cold with 526 / 528 dam across the uk next week. It's a generally unsettled run too..not spring like at all..a chilly start to march. :- )

Height rises to the NE with scandi high forming it looks increasingly blocked later with the Atlantic held at bay.

24_mslp850uk.png

48_mslp850uk.png

72_mslp850uk.png

96_mslp850uk.png

120_mslp850uk.png

144_mslp850uk.png

168_mslp850uk.png

168_thickuk.png

192_thickuk.png

192_mslp850uk.png

216_mslp850uk.png

216_mslp500.png

240_mslp850uk.png

240_mslp500.png

Yes frosty ECM 12Z is a very encouraging run, we've had a real lack of cold active weather the past few months, tomorrow and next week could deliver some exciting weather esp for northerners, i want to see the jetstream edge further south on future runs and a growing scandy high maybe giving some battleground events. :D

• Like 2

Posted

I'm beginning to get that deja vu feeling again looking at this evening's anomalies. Still pretty good agreement and no significant diversion from the recent indicated evolution.

In the 5-10 range the GOA ridge is now the Aleutian ridge and an intense N. Canadian vortex and associated troughs south over N. America and the negatively tilted one into mid Atlantic. Worth mentioning the positive anomalies north and east of Iceland. Thus the whole of the N. Atlantic is in negative anomaly mode and with the energy emitted upstream rushing east on the upper flow which portends unsettled weather for the UK with periods of wind and rain as systems pass through, Temps obviously varying but generally around average.

ecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.thumb.png.fae1f4a0a3e77dde521b6f502d4b1529.pnggefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.thumb.png.31eda0e3742644d7c36d8cdc5c49a419.png610day_03.thumb.gif.c4f5d5643cebef9753422cdfc37261bd.gif

There are no massive changes during the 10-15 period. Upstream the ridge continues to retrogress and the vortex becomes a little more diffuse  but the negatively trough into the Atlantic is still the main feature with the positive anomalies and some ridging NW into Iceland playing a slightly more influential role. Thia tends to back the upper flow WSW so a more N/S split vis the unsettled weather may be inclined. temps perhaps a little above average, As ever the details to be sorted by the det runs

Apparently Sidney's in-laws are considering popping down for an early Spring break.

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_61.thumb.png.a7f5b0746ec4da12d457451c758e6b7f.png814day_03.thumb.gif.63078859a6c79c5417b80e8ede4e5798.gif

Edited by knocker
  • Like 5

Posted

In another winter where there has hardly been any snow its nice to post some Gfs 18z snowy charts. Tomorrow parts of the north look like having significant accumulations, the best snow of this winter so far..enjoy it if you are lucky enough to be in the snow zone!:D

18_12_preciptype.png

18_18_preciptype.png

18_24_preciptype.png

18_108_preciptype.png

18_126_preciptype.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted

Most of next week looks rather chilly on the Gfs 18z, especially further north but later in the week it turns much milder from the southwest and that is just a little taste of what's to come later in low res with a very pleasant spell of early spring warmth with a generally southerly airflow.

18_213_uk2mtmp.png

18_213_mslp850.png

18_288_uk2mtmp.png

18_288_mslp850.png

18_312_uk2mtmp.png

18_336_mslp850.png

18_360_mslp850.png

18_360_uk2mtmp.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

This Morning GFS0z has us in a Northerly flow by T138 With quite a bit of wintry PPN across the UK

C.S

• Like 4

Posted

One point of interest this morning vis the GEFS anomalies is the evolution of stronger positive anomalies over Iceland to a cut off high pressure cell as a result of the temporary amplification next week leaving the trough to dominate the Atlantic. This is reflected in this morning's det. run

gefs_z500a_5d_nh_49.thumb.png.0893b7b988ba172221ec34932513196a.png

Once Doris is out of the way fronts associated with depressions tracking east from Iceland bring further rain and strong winds on Saturday. A brief respite before the next depression arrives north of Scotland 970mb by Sunday 18z bringing more fronts and rain to quickly traverse the country. Systems moving rapidly in a strong jet.

This brings us neatly on to Tuesday as the upper trough slides SE over the UK as the Azores ridges north in mid Atlantic. Thus we have a large surface low pressure area over the UK and points east which brings a complete mixture of weather (including a brief northerly as the main depression runs quickly south east)  and even a couple of shallow wave depressions pop along from the NW before the next deep (filling) depression arrives west of Ireland by Saturday. In a nutshell very unsettled with temps quite variable but generally around average.

gfs_z500a_natl_23.thumb.png.3b246efe0b89fba6ae5eaa68bd1a75fe.pnggfs_ptype_slp_eur3_23.thumb.png.7c35ae5be9b83ebc9ac67480823b870a.pnggfs_ptype_slp_eur3_30.thumb.png.ba928e7a85a3ac70434fd19742a4363c.png

gfs_ptype_slp_eur3_38.thumb.png.130d31eb2f4e19fde37caa4242aca188.png

• Like 5

Posted

I'd go along with that knocker. The beeb in their last 2 nightly forecasts have hinted at things settling down at the end of next week....doesn't look that promising to me at all. That trough out west looks way too dominant.

Posted

The GFS control is a beauty in the long term, Winter would return. A few decent GEFS in FI but a big spread and most are milder.

IMG_4313.PNG

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

The GFS control is a beauty in the long term, Winter would return. A few decent GEFS in FI but a big spread and most are milder.

IMG_4313.PNG

gefsens850London0.png

Sadly a bit of a cold outlier! Lots of ensemble noise after the 1st March, so no clear pattern emerging as of yet. That said, there are about 6/20 members going cold, so it's not without any support. Roughly half of the remaining 14 members keep it mild, with the other half around average. So in a nutshell, we haven't a clue! :)

• Like 1

Posted

Next week looks like it would be feeling wintry according to the Gfs 00z with a Northerly flow, night frosts and some snow around too!:cold-emoji:

00_150_mslp500.png

00_150_uk2mtmpmin.png

00_177_preciptype.png

00_183_uk2mtmp.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted

The Ecm 00z looks rather cold too for the most part..chilly and unsettled with snow on hills and occasionally sleet and wet snow to lower levels, especially in the north with some night frosts, a little milder this weekend and towards the end of next week but generally feeling like winter.:)

24_mslp850uk.png

120_mslp850uk.png

144_mslp850uk.png

168_mslp850uk.png

192_mslp850uk.png

240_mslp850uk.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

^^^^^^

I don't know @Frosty. 00z ECM looks just chilly and mucky to me. Neither fish nor fowl. I do love your boundless optimism though, I wish there was more of it in the world.

• Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

^^^^^^

I don't know @Frosty. 00z ECM looks just chilly and mucky to me. Neither fish nor fowl. I do love your boundless optimism though, I wish there was more of it in the world.

Thanks but I'm just calling it as I see it, the Gfs / Ecm 00z look generally unsettled and on the chilly side for most of next week with a risk of some snow, especially on hills..could be worse:D

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted

The ext EPS has the quite intense vortex over N. Canada becoming more diffuse stretching from the Pole around to NE Canada with the negatively tilted trough still running south east into the Atlantic. With some positive anomalies and some ridging NW around Iceland the upper flow remains in the W//WSW quadrant portending a continuation of unsettled conditions with temps around average.

• Like 2