Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 8th Feb - Cold for now, but then what?

Paul

Posted
11 hours ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

Nick , this year the mjo, along with billion £££££ of computers, and the most knowledgeable of forecasters, the weather has made a mug out of everyone, forecasts jumping about as much as the computers, one minute it's a mild southwesterly for the next 10 days, the next day it's a cold 4 wks from the east, based on the mjo and strat forcings, it's the 4th winter on the trot now without any snow more than 1cm deep. 

Just goes to show how little we know about the weather. 

Let's see how we get on in the next few wks but I have so little faith in any forecast it means absolutely nothing this evening to see us in no man's land on the mods because in a few days time things will look completely different, probably right after the met office rewrite there long term forecasts. 

Much preferred it when ones didn't try to predict the weather more than 3 days in advance because that way people keep there dignity and hopes aren't continually dashed. 

Yes, the weather has made mugs of all of those mentioned however it's still managed to give us a bang on average boring winter with little of interest Lol

They should of stuck with that forecast.  always a safe bet for th uk

• Like 4

Posted

Towels in for Feb looking at some of the above comments, and I fully understand why. Mid Feb 850 charts like this aren't exactly wintery for much of Europe - snow melt in the Alps over half term won't go down well neither!!

still have a chance in March I guess and remember 2013s March didn't really start till mid month really so would have been much more potent early March, not that we'll get those Synoptics.

IMG_4239.PNG

Snow depths in March 2013 only got going from the 20th.

IMG_4240.PNG

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow
12 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

All well and good blue although it's not a good synoptic pattern though is it? This wkend aside I mean. We have a compact vortex moving to siberia, and one massive euro high with southerlies. It's been an epic fail yet again and people use the same old words every time "potential"

I would say the only bit with potential is this wkend, yet the only day with meaningfull instability is the day milder air floats over from an easterly. You litterelly couldn't make it up in this country it's by far the worst place in the world given our latitude for snow and the more time I spend here the more frustrating it's becoming. 4 years now with no snow which in itself is actually laughable and easily worse than any of the milder snowless winters in the past. It's been a lot worse even than 2006-7 when the likes of Ian Brown made his theories up. But now I'm thinking he was probably onto something because bar that group of winters between 08-13 he is right. 

Anyway this will last 2 minutes in here like everything else does that that is slightly controversial why the hell have a weather forum if we can't have a proper debate occasionally.

It's hard to argue with what you've said SS.

But regarding the last paragraph , surely if you want a proper debate you could start up a thread?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Gfs 00z shows potential for some snow today and throughout the weekend, cold by day with temps not much above freezing and generally sub-zero overnight and early morning's.

00_39_preciptype.png

00_60_preciptype.png

00_30_uk2mtmpmin.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I love Frosty's unerring optimism! But I think one look at this tells it all:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50

No
weather warning for ice or snow anywhere. That tells you all you need to know - nothing to see here folks. It'll be a slushy drizzle fest for a bit, and that's about it. The last snow event a few weeks ago had warnings at least. Best pin our hopes on a late winter spectacular, because our time for winter 16/17 is just about up now.

• Like 9

Posted
1 minute ago, mb018538 said:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50

No
weather warning for ice or snow anywhere. That tells you all you need to know - nothing to see here folks. It'll be a slushy drizzle fest for a bit, and that's about it. The last snow event a few weeks ago had warnings at least. Best pin our hopes on a late winter spectacular, because our time for winter 16/17 is just about up now.

I'm just going by what the Gfs 00z shows..which is some snow and frosty nights:)

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
22 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

No
weather warning for ice or snow anywhere. That tells you all you need to know

At least Frosty offers something model related,  unlike some of the one line emotive posts,  commenting on disasters or horrifying runs, which add nothing but to feed @alekos hobby. Don't mind a bit of realism but some kind of model discussion around these one liners would be appreciated.

Let's leave the emotive headlines to the express. 

We still have a couple of days for surprises to pop up for those in favoured areas for snow,  before the next pattern encroaches and who knows what will happen after that because throughout this Winter episode, it seems no pattern wins out for more than 6 days, so lots of time for hope. 

Edited by geordiekev
  • Like 9

Posted
30 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

All well and good blue although it's not a good synoptic pattern though is it? This wkend aside I mean. 

this weekend is two days when it could have conceivably snowed a lot had things gone in our favour. The sypnotcis look broadly v good. Thereafter is the issue re the arcing upper ridge. That really isn't something you could have envisaged at the outset of this. How it would go all the way from the Azores around to c Europe and the Iberian trough would sit there and then retrograde rather than push east towards Italy to support CAA. This is the point - it was sypntoically v promising at the outset and yet will deliver almost nothing of notable wintryness re snowcover. 

anyway I sat on my fence from the beginning as something didn't smell right to me. I would rather be on the white side of the fence but alas it's just damp on both sides now although next week may be quite pleasant in any sunshine. 

As for debating the balance of your post in the model discussion thread, there is a model moans thread which may seem more apt?

i get your frustration by the way - I dread to think how many hours I've spent chasing potential cold solutions on the nwp this winter with pretty well no return. shocking productivity !

• Like 7

Posted
24 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

No

All this Winter has demonstrated to me is that (a) all these models try their best to forecast ahead but frankly they haven't a hope in hell of knowing what Mother Nature is going to do and (b) our interpretation of the models simply adds a further layer of guesswork to it all.

I love seeing the models and getting excited at reading the model interpretations (sometimes !) but really - and no disrespect intended - we really haven't got a clue what the weather is going to do beyond 3-4 days !!!

• Like 4

Posted

Yes it does look like becoming less cold / milder next week as winds become more southerly but enjoy the current cold spell as some  of us will see snow, especially tonight and tomorrow morning with the pennines likely to see a good dumping.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

This morning's ECM ens shows the peak of the 850's on Tuesday next week at about +6 after this they generally stay around +3 give or take a bit to allow for some daily variations

graphe_ens3_php.thumb.png.61b08aea2cda6a7d72d17e94723dac6b.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (Continental)
12 hours ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

So surely the law of averages ought to suggest that we will see another decent winter before 2020.

I would think solar cycle more worth pinning hopes on that the law of averages - and that looks promising between now and 2020

• Like 2

Posted

At least there isn't really any further the models can go now - it's downhill all the way for cold prospoects from here! It can't get much worse for coldies than this - D16 on GFS, the dreaded Canadian black hole anomaly:

gfsnh-0-384.png

Outlier? Er ... no

gensnh-21-1-384.png

ECM D10 - a perfect polar vortex

EDH1-240.GIF?10-12

Why, though, do I have this feeling that come the time, that Scandi ridging will return, giving us something like this

gensnh-20-1-384.png  gensnh-20-0-384.png

Low-teens in any sunshine, chance to get the BBQ out.

The best hope for cold is that the ECM D10 chart leads to the Atlantic trough pushing through rather faster, combined with an SSW and MJO phase 8 nuking the vortex, producing a north-Atlantic high in its wake.  A whopping great 1 out of 22 GEFS members go for this idea:

gensnh-12-1-360.png

Might get some spectacular driving sleet from that!! ;)

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crisp frosty days in Winter

I understand the frustration and in part share it, but please remember the models do not forecast all they can possibly do is to present a number of outcomes based on their input data and a series of complex calculations. The forecast is done by human experts who take a view of all the output and present their version of the outcome. The easiest way to avoid bursting a blood vessel over an output is to not take every output at face value and remember they are a prediction of a possible future outcome, not a forecast.

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Double figures in the south on Wednesday and more widely on Thursday

C4S4TnyWQAA9pKM.jpgC4S4V1BWQAAl4r7.jpg

Yes Gavin, a welcome early taste of spring from the models next week, should see some snow..drops!:D

th (1).jpg

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 9

Posted

Worth remembering that talk of 'the models will have underestimated the block' and 'the block won't move in a hurry' doesn't mean a block can't be reorientated or move into an unfavourable position. 

• Like 3

Posted
23 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Vast parts of Europe under high pressure towards the end of next week

Rukm1201.thumb.gif.6288e17772df4f06463fad4989cc48a6.gifRukm1441.thumb.gif.0ed4341511e8fd731026fd6ecf0133f7.gif

If it ain't gonna snow we could really use some rain down here. Not barren, this winter, but with so much HP knocking about through Jan and with projections like this, there could be issues further down the line.