Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model tweets

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
On 03/08/2018 at 16:47, knocker said:

Oh great..... winter 1994/95 was a tale of 4 months of mild...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
4 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Oh great..... winter 1994/95 was a tale of 4 months of mild...

Are you sure about that? I remember a good snow event, even here! I could walk on my pond due to 10" thick ice. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Are you sure about that? I remember a good snow event, even here! I could walk on my pond due to 10" thick ice. 

Have to admit - dont remember it specifically...but Nov, Dec and Feb were all very mild on the CET record and only Jan held to close to average. Snow that I remember in Dorset was 1996... but maybe there was a 1995 event too. Figures on their own can be deceiving....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Important not to get weather and climate mixed up. I'd not consider an isolated one or two exceptional months to mean much, but here for example, my location has seen top 5% mean temperature months for each of April, May and June, followed by a record-hot July. That's beyond what can be reasonably explained by natural variability.

Cold months, even record cold ones, will remain possible so long as snow falls across northern Asia and Scandinavia Nov-Mar, which thanks to the polar night, should always be the case. In fact, snowfall is likely to become deeper in those regions as a result of increased moisture availability from the warmer oceans.

This could even lead to 3+ consecutive exceptionally cold winter/spring months one year soon... the warming global climate necessarily mean that the UK will share in that trend all year round.

Edited by Singularity
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

sst.anom.month.gif

Unsurprisingly, SSTs have been unusually warm where Debby and Ernesto have formed.

Interesting that Ernesto may have a chance to regain some tropical characteristics as it crosses the unusually warm N. Sea and into the exceptionally warm Baltic (now there's an oxymoron to behold!).