Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model tweets

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Yup. The net outcome, as UKMO explain well, is how major anticylonic flow by Fri across NE Russia leads to a shift of stratospheric polar vortex position to the SSE, resulting in a marked reconfiguration in the N hemispheric pattern.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Lots of tweets from fergieweather recently regarding the possible upcoming cold spell.

https://mobile.twitter.com/fergieweather?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Interesting tweet from Fergie for those who like their cold weather.

Yes, plus models will struggle to capture how/when this all gets popped by mobility returning (which may be a rather torturous sequential affair, rather than all in one go). Either way, the risk is evident for most widespread cold conditions thus-far in winter 17-18.

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, georgiedre said:

John Hammond on Twitter seems to be informing people that met office will update regarding cold potential soon. 

Screenshot_20180103-083342.png

This is the best news so far today, with the runs from ECM and the GEM then this I think we can safely safe - winter is coming ⛄️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
7 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Their further outlook has been wintry for a couple days at least already ???

No, quite underwhelming with a quick cols snap then back to unsettled Atlantic kind of flow with occasional cold snaps....very non- commital

Edited by matty40s

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
Just now, matty40s said:

No, quite underwhelming with a quick cols snap then back to unsettled Atlantic kind of flow with occasional cold snaps....very non- commital

They mention cold then the jet firing up and blasting the block out of the way with a potential snow event. Obviously now it's looking more likely that the cold continental feed is looking more likely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

According to a meteorologist from the met that was on this morning, just before the guy who uses traditional methods, next week is going to be cold. Sounds good to me. Let's see if that is what the new update is.

Posted
14 minutes ago, SN0WM4N said:

They mention cold then the jet firing up and blasting the block out of the way with a potential snow event. Obviously now it's looking more likely that the cold continental feed is looking more likely.

They don’t mention the jet at all ?

im talking about the forecast to jan 16th

you can read it how you want to (as is usually the case). Doesn’t indicate the milder conditions will make it across to the eastern side by mid month. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
4 hours ago, bluearmy said:

They don’t mention the jet at all ?

im talking about the forecast to jan 16th

you can read it how you want to (as is usually the case). Doesn’t indicate the milder conditions will make it across to the eastern side by mid month. 

Are we talking about the BBC's thoughts or MOs? As I was talking about the BBCs and I'm not trying to read how I want to. 

Posted
1 hour ago, SN0WM4N said:

Are we talking about the BBC's thoughts or MOs? As I was talking about the BBCs and I'm not trying to read how I want to. 

Oh right - I mean the mo. And ‘reading how you want to’ isn’t a criticism of you or anyone. It’s just how it is. We can all interpret stuff in different ways. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow
6 minutes ago, knocker said:

:shok:

If that is right and obviousily a long way out then that shows quite a posiive height anomoly over Greeland.Not a bad thing for the UK?

Posted
6 minutes ago, Hotspur61 said:

If that is right and obviousily a long way out then that shows quite a posiive height anomoly over Greeland.Not a bad thing for the UK?

With low pressure to the east you would have to fear for the sanity of so many. Although on reflection it's probably already too late for that.

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

Positive for cold in the U.K. then, @knocker?

Rather depends what you mean by cold but within my limited understanding I don't know of any direct correlation with pressure distribution in north west Europe. It does seem to be related to the pattern change in N.America but downstream still looks pretty unsettled with trough domination into the ext period according to tonight's EPS mean anomalies.

Edited by knocker